Fishing eating fish fly

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Fishing eating fish fly

Post by natetreat » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:13 am

This is a great fly! I'm tempted to try it out on the river, although I'm certain it would work for bass or musky more.

http://thewayofthefly.wordpress.com/201 ... -fish-fly/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Fishing eating fish fly

Post by Bodofish » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:30 am

Pretty cool! No strike that really cool! Do you really think they look that close? We know the fisherman does....
Last edited by Bodofish on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Jigking Fishhead
Petty Officer

Post by Jigking Fishhead » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:07 am

Not to burst your bubble, but that will spin while you are casting it and stripping it in .. Good looking fly, but sorry that is what we call a spin cycle fly in the industry.
I have $60,000 invested in a boat, motor, gear and baits all to catch a fish with a brain the size of a pea. I wouldn't have it any other way.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:51 am

I don't know about the spin factor, but I'm going to twist some up anyway. Seems to me that any extra action you can get on a fly will be better than none at all.

@Bodo I know fish don't really care, the majority of the flies I use in the rivers are just marabou with a bit of flash. Nothing special, I don't mess with spey flies or other stuff. For steelhead this summer I've simply been putting a tail on the hook, wrapping a feather around and using gold or red thread and nailing 'em. Simple, easy 30 second flies to get tons of fish. I have been tying legitimate smolt patterns though, they seem to work great for cutts in the rivers, although they're easy enough. I don't mess with epoxy I just use a glue gun to make the egg sac thingy and it's another quick twist for me.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:13 am

Yep!!! what's the rule? Fish lures are designed, not to catch fish but the fishermen.......
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”