Faulty Perfection Loops

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
fisherben
Petty Officer

Faulty Perfection Loops

Post by fisherben » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:31 am

I use primarily a non-slip perfection loop for my flies, and recently I have been losing flies due to the loop breaking at the bottom where the fly usually sits. Has anyone else been having this issue? Is there any way I can fix/improve this problem, because perfection loops are pretty useful. Thanks!
-fisherben

Jigking Fishhead
Petty Officer

Re: Faulty Perfection Loops

Post by Jigking Fishhead » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:54 am

You are tying your fly on to the tippet with a perfection loop? that knot is used for a loop to loop connection, never have heard of anyone using it to tie their fly to the tippet..
I have $60,000 invested in a boat, motor, gear and baits all to catch a fish with a brain the size of a pea. I wouldn't have it any other way.

fisherben
Petty Officer

Post by fisherben » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:44 pm

I have been using it to tie flies to the tippet ever since I went on a guided trip in which the guide did the same. It allows the flie to move more freely on the tippet.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:32 am

Perfection is a great knot for tippet to fly, really helps with the right turn over. I would suggest maybe the tippet material it's self. Flouro is ver suseptable to UV damage and the mfg's have been known to put out a bad batch from time to time. Some even put a use by date on it. Get a new spool and keep it in the dark, see how it works.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:38 am

Keep it in the dark? :-k

No problem, I'm always in the dark. :scratch:
Tom.

Interests: living

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:42 am

Amx wrote:Keep it in the dark? :-k

No problem, I'm always in the dark. :scratch:
Yep pretty much any line, keep 'em out of the light and they'll last a lot longer. UV kills it. Only when it's getting wet.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

zen leecher
Commander

Post by zen leecher » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:25 pm

I could believe you are tying your flies on with a LOOP knot but tying one on with a PERFECTION knot would be kinda hard. I think one would need a third hand for that as the perfection loop is the center part of the line which is pulled thru the knot part.

Oh and one reason most of the loop knots break is rough edges on the hook eyes.

fisherben
Petty Officer

Post by fisherben » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:41 pm

Yeah I do think the rough edges have something to do with it. When my guide was doing this the line he was using was 15 lb test. Obviously that will hold up a lot better to abrasion than my 3 lb test. Oh, and what other knots would be great for tipper to fly?

mwdehaan
Petty Officer

Post by mwdehaan » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:18 am

I've been having issues with fly breaks as well that seem to come out of no where. I've modified a few classic knots like the improved clinch where I'll pass through the eye twice before tying the knot. Haven't had an issue with it yet but I'm going to start learning the Orvis knot as well. I've been recommended to use Loon's Knot Sense if I have knots that keep slipping. So if I start to have breakoffs where I shouldn't I'll go that route, might be something to look into. Good luck.

Oh I forgot to mention, I'm real bad at checking the line after each fish. So that would be a good habit to get into. Much cheaper to retie 3" of tippet then to lose a $3 dollar fly, or to lose your personal best fish, gasps.

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”