Fly Fishing Merit Badge

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
reelman
Warrant Officer

Fly Fishing Merit Badge

Post by reelman » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:47 am

I went to a major boy scout jamboree this week with 2,100 scouts. The usual merit badge counselor had to go to court (lawyer jokes aside, he's an attorney not a criminal). I was able to pinch hit with another guy, Ed Padilla, who did a great job on short notice. We got 4 boys to completion. The only snag for most was actually catching a fish. My 11-year-old son was the first to complete, and the funniest thing was we ran out of fly rods, so I used an extra reel I had and set it up on a 5' Ugly stick. With some serious Lefty Kreh casting technique, I was able to cast about 30' to the shock of die-hard fly fishermen. My son caught a 5" LMB on a cheesy frog pattern I tied.
12 new fly fishermen were created this week. I really like how the Boy Scout code aligns perfectly with the "fly fisherman's code": Leave no trace, stewardship of nature, etc.

Hank
Petty Officer

Re: Fly Fishing Merit Badge

Post by Hank » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:35 am

Congratulations on introducing five young boys to fly fishing. You have created memories that they will carry with them for a lifetime. Good on ya!

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: Fly Fishing Merit Badge

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:43 pm

reelman wrote:12 new fly fishermen were created this week. I really like how the Boy Scout code aligns perfectly with the "fly fisherman's code": Leave no trace, stewardship of nature, etc.

My son is in Scouting as well.. I liked your above statement. Cool of you to jump in and fill the void when the merit badge couscellor (sp?) couldn't make it. Probably pleased yourself as well that your tied fly caught something. =D>

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”