Fly fishing combo recommendation for novice

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
SamFishing
Petty Officer

Fly fishing combo recommendation for novice

Post by SamFishing » Sat May 19, 2012 9:04 pm

I am totally a fly-fishing novice -- never cast a fly fishing rod before. But I do have interests to learn and want to enjoy fly fishing this year.

My target fish will probably be trout (sammamish river [shore], Beaver lake [float tube], Pine lake [float tube]) and bass (lake sammamish [shore]). My current plan is a 4 pieces, 5wt (or 4wt), 9" rod with budget around $200.

Not sure whether the choice is reasonable. Please give your suggestions here.

Thanks,

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Fly fishing combo recommendation for novice

Post by Bodofish » Sun May 20, 2012 3:39 am

Good choice for a starter and right in the price range. If possible get a reel you can get spare spools for so you can have a couple different types of line, floater and a sinker. Casting will be easier if you don't buy a hot or fast rod. Med fast is good for beginners.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

SamFishing
Petty Officer

Post by SamFishing » Sun May 20, 2012 8:47 pm

Thanks Bodofish

It will be better if anyone can give me some particular combo examples for reference.

fullybuilt2.0
Petty Officer

Post by fullybuilt2.0 » Sun May 20, 2012 11:37 pm

Go with a 5w 9ft (i perfer 10ft) 4 piece is more easy to break down and more stiffer! 2 piece is fine too and generally more sensitive (better for dry flying i think.) Gives it a better landing presention. Then you have your 3, 5 pieces ect.... First, you want to see what action you perfer. By that i mean, fast action, med fast, med, slow. I perfer med fast. I am a slow casters. I dont like to move my arms a lot when im fishing and it suits me best. Fast action rods are generally made to cast bigger flys like my pike flys(zonkers). It takes less effort and with the rod being more stiffer(4 piece) you can set the hook harder. It really just depends on the person and what style, fish, you'll be doing.

You should do some research before you buy the rod. I would perfer you buy one with a life time warranty. I know your budget is tight but with research you should find one that suits you. I am that way too. I have 3 rods and two reels. My first expenses rod is a G-Loomis streamdance GLX 9'5w 4 piece Fast action lifetime warranty. I payed way too much for it like 10 years ago . This was my second rod. My first was a cheap pflueger kit from Walmart;) Anyways I barely use it now. I dont even remember when was the last time i fished with it;P. Then a year ago i picked up a cabales Lsi 9'9 5w 4 piece med fast action. I absolutely love that rod. Super light and cast smooth like butter and has a 25 year warranty for $189. A couple of months ago i was on craigslist and got cheap deal on a old school diamondback dgs700 9'5w 2 piece med fast action for $50. This is my most used rod. My reels are both cabales. One was $190 and the other was $30. I have $70 rio grand WF on the more expenses one.
$25 scientific anglers WF line on the cheaper one. As of date i use MY cheaper setups cause it suits me more. Just trying to give you some input on that its not how expenses your setup is, it whats affordable and suits you best. GL;)

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Mon May 21, 2012 2:02 pm

I have not tossed either rod. But Scientific Angler and I think ST Croix has a starter kit. Which includes a decent real, dry fly line, 5 or 6wt rod, backing and perhaps a few flies. Not certain about the flies. I thought I have heard these are decent kits. But again, I have not handled one.

Presently I toss a Lamiglass G1000 in 9ft, 4wt and 6wt, both 2 piece. Both are fast action. These are okay rods for around $100. My favorite is a Sage 9ft, 2 piece, 3wt rod blank that I bought at Patricks fly shop. Bought the cork, reel seat, guides, blank for well under $200. First rod I ever built from scratch. I think I am tossing 4wt line on it. For A finesse type rod it loads up well, and launches the line even though I am over loading it with 4wt line. I use all but the 6 wt for trout. The 6 wt I have used for Chum in the rivers. It is a bit light for that. But has not broken, after 12 or so big fish caught on it in one day. I actually was trying to see if it would break! I had broken 6 inches from the tip. Was able to fit the same tip top to the broken end of the rod. So, this rod was expendable and not used at all. It did not break, even though the fish were caught against a 4 or 5mph flow of water.

For bass and Steelhead. I have G Loomis, 9ft GL2, 2 piece 8wt.

Check into the two kits mentioned. They will leave you with money for waders, flies, fly box, tippet's and other accessories.

SamFishing
Petty Officer

Post by SamFishing » Wed May 23, 2012 7:55 pm

Thanks fullybuilt2.0 and MotoBoat. Your information is very helpful, I will do more research with your suggestion and will come back with new questions.

narrows11
Petty Officer

Post by narrows11 » Wed May 23, 2012 8:18 pm

4wt Cabelas Prestige! It comes with a complete Fly fishing set flys rod case rod and reel extra leaders and more!
Just keep fishing

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”