What kind of flies...

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
tsath24
Warrant Officer

What kind of flies...

Post by tsath24 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:35 pm

Being new to fly fishing...was wondering what flies work really well for Stillwater fishing? Tried silver lake, blackmans lake, green lake, and lake tye...specifically targeting triploids/planted trout. Tried green, black woolly buggers, and nymphs. Does it matter that I use a floating line for Stillwater fishing?...any feedback would be appreciated... :scratch:

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Re: What kind of flies...

Post by Anglinarcher » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:59 pm

An internet search for stillwater flies should help you a lot. Leach patterns, the woolly buggers, small minnow patterns like Zonkers or Mutakas, damselfly numpths are all great options.

As for any fish, location is important. Most of the time the trout will be near the bottom, so if you are not fishing near there it might not be as good as you would like. Nevertheless, the trout will not always be on the bottom. With your floating line, use sinking flies and work the edges out to about 5 feet deep, early and late in the day.

I seldom use a floating line in stillwater. I usually use an intermediate, a slow sink, a medium sink, a fast sink, etc. I usually also have a sink tip along as well. In fact, I find that I use more types of lines on stillwater then I do in moving water. ](*,)

For early spring, try a floating line, a long leader, a weighted Water Boatman (see the patterns Marc and others have posted on this forum). Work new vegatation, near cattails, near reeds, etc.

Sthao92
Petty Officer

Post by Sthao92 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:37 pm

Right now blackmans would be your best bet for triploids. They are very close to the shore so there easy to cast to but they don't just take anything and can be difficult some times. I have been using a black wolly bugger when it is fresh and dry so it sits on top of the water and thhe fish at blackmans have liked it so far. Were you at silver today? If so i think i saw you there fly fishing. I was the guy fishing with the two other guys and in the north face jacket and hat.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:42 pm

Take a trin into "The Avid Angler" fly shop located in Lake Forest park, just around the N. end of lake WA. from you. ( I see you are in Kirkland) You will find awesome service. They are not on comission, and A+ people. They can pick out some flies from their great collection, stear you towards a few lakes as well. They are cool about little things like putting a loop on the end of your fly line, for easy attach/removal of your leader. (at no extra charge) Ask for Brita.

tsath24
Warrant Officer

Post by tsath24 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:20 pm

Thank you for all the input Anglinarcher, Quadfather, and Sthao92. This is a start for where I'm wanting to go. @Sthao92 I was actually at Silver Lake yesterday haha! Small world? Decided to stop by and wet the fly a little bit just messing around. Did you catch anything at Silver Lake yesterday?

Sthao92
Petty Officer

Post by Sthao92 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:22 pm

We only got 2 that day but the day before i limited however it took a long time to limit. I'll probably be at blackmans tomorrow trying to get something bigger at the park.

tsath24
Warrant Officer

Post by tsath24 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:27 pm

Sthao92 wrote:We only got 2 that day but the day before i limited however it took a long time to limit. I'll probably be at blackmans tomorrow trying to get something bigger at the park.
I assume they weren't very big at Silver Lake? Blackman's Lake still has those triploids in there! Are you going to be at the area where there's two docks?...Going to bring your fly rod, cast some spoons, or plunk some power bait?

Sthao92
Petty Officer

Post by Sthao92 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:40 am

i'll be at the park with my fly rod and spinning rod. i usually will switch it up through out the day and try to see what the fish want

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”