Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
THester
Petty Officer

Post by THester » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:01 pm

This is my first year fly fishing, and living in the tri cities, when is a good time to start fishing the rivers, lakes, or ponds? Ive heard the yakima can be good for bass, but what about steelhead around here? Plus when are prime times?

fullybuilt2.0
Petty Officer

Re: Newbie

Post by fullybuilt2.0 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:03 pm

Ice off is a good time to start. I try to fly fish all year long but I also love ice fishing. I not from that area so I couldn't tell you where to start. Maybe someone from that area could! GL

THester
Petty Officer

Post by THester » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:39 pm

Do you fish deep though with a sinking tip or a floating line?

fullybuilt2.0
Petty Officer

Post by fullybuilt2.0 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:59 pm

It just depends! I have a float line but can still fish 10-15 ft deep with enough weight on the end and depending on the length of you leader too. If you really want to fish deep its best if you use a sink tip line. The problem with using sink tip is that you won't be able to dry fly. Will you could be it'll just be a headache. Its best if you have a couple of extra spools so you can have best of both worlds.

THester
Petty Officer

Post by THester » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:03 pm

What kind of water would I look for right now? Current? Slack? Water is 40 degrees

fullybuilt2.0
Petty Officer

Post by fullybuilt2.0 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:04 pm

Also you might want to do some homework on DT vs. WF fly line. Here's a article on it. http://www.sexyloops.com/articles/wfvsdt.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Again I have both lines for different purposes.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:09 pm

THester wrote:Do you fish deep though with a sinking tip or a floating line?
According to what I found, the answer is both:

"Steelhead fishing is a popular sport in the Richland Washington area. Steelhead salmon are one of the most valued fish in the Columbia River system. The fish, Oncorhynchus Mykiss, are classified as part of the Pacific Salmon family. Born in the river, the smolts travel to the Pacific Ocean to feed and grow for 2-4 years. A long stay in the ocean ensures their steady growth into large healthy fish. Steelhead fishing during the return migration can yield catches over 20 pounds, however, a world class record is only considered for catches over 30 pounds. Summer steelhead fishing occurs when one type of steelhead return from the sea from April to October. Winter steelhead fishing arrives with the November to April migrations. Generally, the fish can be caught in the river system in which they were spawned, although they can be hooked in saltwater. Once they return upriver to spawn, the steelhead do not die like other salmon. It is the Winter Steelheaders that draw the most admiration amongst the angler's community. They will cast repeatedly for hours in freezing water awaiting that one tug from the chrome-bright fish. A host of first class fishery operations work out of the Richland Washington area. Steelhead fishing is considered a feisty experience when using a fly rod. With line-peeling runs and out of water acrobatics, the magnificent steelhead provides a challenging and rewarding freshwater fishing experience. The steelhead requires fly fishing techniques developed for the Atlantic salmon. The flies are swung downstream using a floating or sinking line. The take may be aggressive, and tends to occur near the end of the swing. Nymphing methods, such as those used by trout anglers, may also be used when steelhead fishing. When steelhead fishing, timing means everything. This means paying attention to the seasonal movements of this particular fish. Making use of a local guide can increase your chances of landing one of these elusive "silver bullets." Local weather patterns will also be a core factor in enjoying your fishing experience. Especially in winter, storms can make the waters turbulent and unsafe in a short period of time. Patience is the key to all great fishing ventures. Persevering with a positive attitude, efficiently covering the water, and maintaining one's stamina in the face of disappointment are essential to catching steelhead. Unlike other species of fish, the steelhead is rarely caught in large numbers – and that is where the challenge lies for steelheaders. Bait favored by steelheaders comes in three main types; night crawlers, sand shrimp and cocktail shrimp. Similar to other fishing endeavors, etiquette must be made a priority. A steelhead river, especially in the Columbia River, may have numerous anglers in the same pools. New anglers are advised to position themselves upriver, as eventually they will make a gradual move along the pool, covering it entirely. This winter bring your fishing spirit to the great city of Richland for a tremendous and unforgettable steelhead fishing experience"
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

THester
Petty Officer

Post by THester » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:14 pm

Thank you guys very much!

fullybuilt2.0
Petty Officer

Post by fullybuilt2.0 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:17 pm

THester wrote:What kind of water would I look for right now? Current? Slack? Water is 40 degrees
Honestly it just depends! Lakes right now are coming off ice. Fish are hungry and aggressive. In the next couple of months from now the rainbows will be spawning. Fish closer to the shore/sand beds as they will come closer for food and spawn. Once summer comes they'll th back to the deep. As for river, you can fish fast or slow current. Try to look for pools. Usually there will be one after a nice current flow or where to current comes together. Do homework on your fly hatchs. Most of the time what you see flying in the air, that's what they are feeding on. You can also to buy a fish stomach pump and that helps a lot.

reelman
Warrant Officer

Post by reelman » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:38 pm

I fished up on the Cd A about three weeks ago. I took my sinking line and weight. I left my floatant at home. I saw no action until my buddy saw fish sipping emergers and adults. We had great action on dry flies in the middle of February.
My point is, just about the time you think the fish are all going to be deep and sluggish, they'll surprise you. Take both.
Typically when it's good and cold, you'll find the fish in the deep, slow tail waters. It brings the food to them and they don't have to expend a lot of energy.
GL
Keep asking questions.

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”