Rocky Ford Creek winter fishing

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
sparky1doug
Lieutenant

Rocky Ford Creek winter fishing

Post by sparky1doug » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:02 am

Has anyone hit the creek this winter? I've yet to make my winter visit and it seems to be calling me, especially as I watch the rivers rise. It can be just as productive this time of year if you don't mind the snow and cold.
"Forever Fishing Washington State" my fish friendly blog on Google.
http://foreverfishing-sparky1doug.blogspot.com/

wolverine
Captain

RE:Rocky Ford Creek winter fishing

Post by wolverine » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:13 am

I've been over the hill 3 times this winter. Haven't had a problem with the gravel road in other than its a bit rough. Not a lot of people fishing in the winter. Those big bows still bite well though. The usual scud patterns worked as well as a larger white leach or baitfish pattern. Winter time seems to bring out the bait thug poachers as there aren't as many fly fishermen around. Saw a couple of them in the lower end and they pulled the tiresome "no English" line when I told them it was fly only, catch & release. I repeated it in Spanish and they very reluctantly left but still had a stringer with 7 or 8 large trout on it.
Life's short - fish hard!

sparky1doug
Lieutenant

Post by sparky1doug » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:00 am

I'm glad to see someone is enjoying the winter bite, they really do feed all winter long. What a great place to fish no matter the time of year. It is well worth the drive isn't it. I hope the inforcement officer is aware of whats going on down there with poaching. I'm sure he does, they'll get caught eventually.

Rooscooter
Warrant Officer

Post by Rooscooter » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:58 pm

wolverine wrote: I've been over the hill 3 times this winter. Haven't had a problem with the gravel road in other than its a bit rough. Not a lot of people fishing in the winter. Those big bows still bite well though. The usual scud patterns worked as well as a larger white leach or baitfish pattern. Winter time seems to bring out the bait thug poachers as there aren't as many fly fishermen around. Saw a couple of them in the lower end and they pulled the tiresome "no English" line when I told them it was fly only, catch & release. I repeated it in Spanish and they very reluctantly left but still had a stringer with 7 or 8 large trout on it.
Yep....I was out there last week and saw the same thing. I called the WDFW hotline and turned them in. I took just about an hour before the truck came rolling down the road. They knew the rules and they threw the stringer they had in the weeds just before the Warden got there. I was all to happy to point out where they threw the stringer.

BTW...the fishing was very good. Scuds, and Olive Willies were working for us.

Tight Lines!

sparky1doug
Lieutenant

Post by sparky1doug » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:56 pm

Bless you Rooscooter!

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”