palmering marabou

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

palmering marabou

Post by Toni » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:45 pm

If a person were to palmer marabou what type would they buy? Strung? I bought this and it is too small for salmon jigs. Extra select? This usually has a stiff middle of the feather and they are too small to palmer the whole area that needs to be covered. Just the tips are usable for palmering.
Is there something else?
Last edited by Toni on Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

RE:palmering marabou

Post by Marc Martyn » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:30 pm

Well, Toni, Marabou is not usually palmered. You can take small bunches off the quill and tie it on the hook, usually on the top and and bottom, proceeding forward and layering it. Start at the back of the hook and move forward. This will give the material freedom to flow freely while jigging it through the water.

The problem with palmering marabou is if the fish strikes the fly and cuts the quill with it's teeth, the palmered marabou will unravel.

I layer all my marabou.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deepbuzzer
Petty Officer

Post by deepbuzzer » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:26 am

Toni, actually you can palmer marabou. you build yourself a dubbing loop and insert the pulled off pieces of marabou into the loop and spin it.
There are plenty of patterns out there that use this technique.
here is an example of a fly tied with marabou and a dubbing loop. http://hatchesmagazine.com/patterns/Mar ... ress/5922/

SAPIplate
Warrant Officer

Post by SAPIplate » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:48 pm

I use Spey Blood Quills for palmering.I've always palmered marabou by pulling off one side of the marabou and discarding the pulled off marabou and wrapping the now one sided marabou quill on the hook then counter wrapping a very thin wire through it.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Release Wild Steelhead
Pink Salmon Fan
Salmo trutta

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Re: palmering marabou

Post by goodtimesfishing » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:27 am

palmering marabou is very common. Use the ones that are about 5 inches or more. sounds like you are trying to use the pin feathers and yes those are too small. The biggest size, the quill is too big. Keep a little cup of water close and dip your fingers prior to stroking the feather down. This will help tame the feather as you go. I have heard of trimming one side of the feather but I don't feel it is really needed. Tony do a quick google search "palmering marabou" and you will be able to see lots of vids on how to do it. Once you watch it done a few times it makes it easier and you will see some helpful tips, like the water.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:06 am

goodtimesfishing wrote:palmering marabou is very common. Use the ones that are about 5 inches or more. sounds like you are trying to use the pin feathers and yes those are too small. The biggest size, the quill is too big. Keep a little cup of water close and dip your fingers prior to stroking the feather down. This will help tame the feather as you go. I have heard of trimming one side of the feather but I don't feel it is really needed. Tony do a quick google search "palmering marabou" and you will be able to see lots of vids on how to do it. Once you watch it done a few times it makes it easier and you will see some helpful tips, like the water.
I don't need to. That was over 2 years ago and I have learned. I learned a lot about quality products.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:04 pm

sorry

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Re: RE:palmering marabou

Post by Anglinarcher » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:07 am

Duncan Dharkeez wrote:
Marc Martyn wrote:Well, Toni, Marabou is not usually palmered. You can take small bunches off the quill and tie it on the hook, usually on the top and and bottom, proceeding forward and layering it. Start at the back of the hook and move forward. This will give the material freedom to flow freely while jigging it through the water.

The problem with palmering marabou is if the fish strikes the fly and cuts the quill with it's teeth, the palmered marabou will unravel.

I layer all my marabou.
None of this is true. I just wanted to set the record straight. Tons of people palmer boo and I have caught 182 salmon on one of my best jigs with zero quill failure. Post De-Bunked
Kind of harsh, don't you think Duncan? Marc is just speaking from the "old school" that once thought the same of peacock quill, pheasant tail, etc. Even today, if the technique is not correct, what Marc said about the teeth cutting the quill is still correct. My big browns will destroy your salmon jig in seconds, unless you have done something special. They will also destroy ............... Marc also said that "Marabou is not usually palmered", not that it never was palmered.

Even on the Galloup series of articulated flies, where he palmers marabou a lot, he normally has to put down head cement to palmer into to prevent what Marc is talking about.

I palmar marabou a lot, and I use the ugliest webbiest quill out there, but I am usually tying articulated with a #4 3XL front hook and a swing wire I bend up for the back. I tie a base of thread and marabou and then coat it with head cement. I then palmar the quill into it and let it set. This works well for me.

What mark says to do will also work, and it has proven itself over and over again.

I guess this time "Post De-Bunked" is DE-BUNKED :scratch: Show a little respect, Marc knows more about fly fishing and tying them most people around, and his opinion is still worth listening to. #-o

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”