Steelhead Flies

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
sellis_414
Commander

Steelhead Flies

Post by sellis_414 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:42 pm

I am acquiring a new rod to my collections and gonna do a little Steelhead fishing this winter! Any recommendations on flies for E. WA Rivers (Wenatchee, Entiat, Methow, Klickitat)?
"If I'm not back in five minutes... just wait longer."

True Hero Rod Series Representative
Fetha Styx Associate

curado
Admiral

RE:Steelhead Flies

Post by curado » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:00 pm

PM SAPIplate. he's a fly nut
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

sellis_414
Commander

Post by sellis_414 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:22 pm

curado wrote:PM SAPIplate. he's a fly nut
Ha ha copy that. Im assuming egg patterns and Black K-Stone Nymphs... Not extactly sure, just did a little researching is all!
"If I'm not back in five minutes... just wait longer."

True Hero Rod Series Representative
Fetha Styx Associate

SAPIplate
Warrant Officer

Post by SAPIplate » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:18 pm

Alright. When fishing eastern Wa rivers (maily the Methow and Wenatchee) depending on the run, I'll either nymph or swing flies. If I'm nymphing, I use 9-12lb flouro leaders with a beadhead Brown Kaufmanns stone (size 4-8) and about 17" behind it a Glo-bug (I like peach or white with a red spot). If your egg isn't reaching the bottom, put a split shot in between the two. Other nymphs worth trying are black Rubber Leg Stones, ***** Creek Stones, large red or black Rubber Leg Copper Johns, and big Rubber Leg Prince nymphs. Any of those can be used tandem or single (I prfer tandem, just not when it's windy)

If I'm swinging flies, I use a variety of patterns. My usual go-to pattern is a purple or black egg sucking leech (color and the inclusion of flash dependant on conditions). If the water is super low or clear, I use a low water version of the Coal Car, Green Butt Skunk or Purple Peril. Also worth a try depending on conditions are small intruders and fluffy marabou pattern in purple, black, black and white, orange, pink, red and black, etc. Nothing to big, to flashy, or to fluffy. Save that for the Skagit :D

If your feeling adventurous, waking dry flies may be worth a try aswell, but only on still water and early in the season (I.E now)
Release Wild Steelhead
Pink Salmon Fan
Salmo trutta

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”