Straightening Leader?

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
nickbell
Commander

Straightening Leader?

Post by nickbell » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:20 pm

I recently bought a pack of 9 foot leader. When I opened it, I found it was very poorly packaged. The line was bent and tangled in many different places. My leader straightener couldn't get it straight enough. Is there any other way to straighten it? Its in very bad condition, but it is my only leader at the moment. Im going fishing in a couple of days, and all of the stores i went to were out of stock. Thanks for the help!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:Straightening Leader?

Post by Amx » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:26 pm

Warm water?
Tom.

Interests: living

nickbell
Commander

Post by nickbell » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:28 pm

Amx wrote:Warm water?
Hmmm, I'll give it a try.

nickbell
Commander

Post by nickbell » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:12 pm

I soaked it in hot water. It helped a little, but not much.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:19 pm

If it's mono, I saw a show once that said to dip your spool/leader/line into a water w/ water softener solution and that would release the memory. The example was coiled mono that was off a spinning reel and as soon as it was dipped in the solution the line relaxed. Never tried it myself, but looked cool.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:12 pm

I take leaders, and run them over a pencil/pen... and then pull the pencil or pen hard and tight along the leader. I think this helps a bit. Then after some time casting and being in the water, you should be good.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

Splitshot
Warrant Officer

Post by Splitshot » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:27 pm

Boiling water. Used to do it all time.

reelman
Warrant Officer

Post by reelman » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:31 pm

Nuke it. I throw just about anything in some water and put it in the microwave for a minute, pull it out immediately and pull it straight. It usually does the trick.
I bought the Cabela's 4 pack leaders; junk. Poor roll out and a nearly permanent bend up at the thickest part. I'm going back to Scientific Anglers.
Fly Fishing, like any faith, has varying levels of orthodoxy.

Jay K
Warrant Officer

Post by Jay K » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:30 pm

Can't you hang 'em off a hook/nail and put a little bass casting weight on it and let it hang and straighten?

nickbell
Commander

Post by nickbell » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:23 pm

Jay K wrote:Can't you hang 'em off a hook/nail and put a little bass casting weight on it and let it hang and straighten?
Thats what im doing, it seems to be working the best. I used to do that with my leaders when i fished for flounder. My line would get so coiled after sitting on the spool for so long, so i tied on a weight and let it stretch a few days. It worked great.

sparky1doug
Lieutenant

Post by sparky1doug » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:06 am

Releasing the memory. Great topic. The trick is to heat it up, but not too hot. Gently stretch it, an ounce or less of weight. In the field, turn on your defroster and remove you leader from the package but leave it coiled. Set it over the dash vent until it's kinda soft. Then uncoil it and attach a piece of pencil lead and hang it for 5 minutes. At home do same with hair dryer. Advantage of doing this at home, you can use the dryer again while the leader is hanging, and do more than one at a time. It only took me 10 years to figure this one out, good luck and good fishing!
"Forever Fishing Washington State" my fish friendly blog on Google.
http://foreverfishing-sparky1doug.blogspot.com/

Rooscooter
Warrant Officer

Post by Rooscooter » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:36 am

I use a commercially available leader straightener similar to this one: http://www.wright-mcgill.com/tools-and- ... htener.php

It works by creating friction (and thus heat) between two rubber pads. A couple of passes along the length of the leader will take out almost all of the coil. It also works on fluorocarbon leaders as well.

Tight Lines!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:04 am

Kinda what I do while fishing. Get a loop that needs to be taken 'apart', then I run my fingernail over any 'kink' or bend that needs to be straightened/smoother over.

Every other or few days I'll stretch the line on any rods that I haven't used for a few days, and feel I might use the next day. I always stretch a minimum of twice the length of a cast length to be sure all is well.

I stretch the line by hooking the hook to the boat and walking out the garage door 'so far' and stretching the line until it becomes 'tight'. Then let it shrink back up until it doesn't shrink any more, then stretch it again, and shrink up again, then wind it back onto the spool. Great time to check all knots and the drag on all reels too.
Tom.

Interests: living

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:49 am

When it comes to something as crucial as a leader ,I'd change them. I wouldnt try to use them or straighten them out. Once they are pinched I feel they are garbage.Return them for new ones.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:57 am

Probably too late for your fishing trip, but have you tried furled leader made from fly tying thread? Absolutely ZERO memory. I furl my own and use them all the time. They really turn a fly over nicely too.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:57 pm

in the old days we would make our own leader straightener by cutting a small rectangle out of an old inner tube. It was the cheapest way.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:41 am

Lotech Joe wrote:Probably too late for your fishing trip, but have you tried furled leader made from fly tying thread? Absolutely ZERO memory. I furl my own and use them all the time. They really turn a fly over nicely too.

You got it Joe! I tried one and now have several in different lengths. I'll never look back.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

LittleTrib
Petty Officer

Post by LittleTrib » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:45 pm

Just wondering what brand was it? Always buy good quality leaders and tippet, it should be something to never cut costs on. Cant go wrong with Rio trout leaders and powerflex tippet.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:47 pm

When Rio can out, all my leader memory problems were gone. Weave it through a couple of fingers, pull moderately slow and it falls straight to the ground. I will not by any other leaders.

You get what you pay for. Buy an .89¢ leader and you will be frustrated the whole time it is on you line. Buy a $4.00 leader and enjoy the whole day fishing.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:57 pm

I soak my line in fabric softener overnight. It works for leaders and even cheap line. I had a dried up tangly medusa of real heavy line that would jump off the spool if let free, overnight in a mixture of hair conditioner and fabric softener and it was perfect by 4 am. Rinse it off with warm water, so you don't smell the fish up.

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”