mid-late summer stillwater strategies

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
dbk
Petty Officer

mid-late summer stillwater strategies

Post by dbk » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:15 pm

Not sure if this post will stir up some life on the flyfishing board, but since I cannot fish I thought I might see if some of you are willing to "talk" fishing a bit. Fishing stillwaters for trout in the heat of summer is generally not a good idea because of how it impacts the fish. However, assuming that surface temps have not exceeded 70 degrees and its "safe" to fish a stillwater, what are some techniques/ideas you have all found to be effective during this time of the year. The general assumption is that the fish "go deep", which of course they do, and thus its necessary to use tactics appropriate for the depth of water you are fishing in. That being said, I am not sure "low and slow" (i.e. slow trolling nymphs/leeches, etc off fast-sinking lines in the bottom two feet of the water column in 20+ ft water) is the only effective method during this time of year (or even necessarily the best at times, though it certainly works). In addition, any ideas/thoughts on how the "dog-days of summer" impact both the trout and invertebrate populations would be great to hear as well. Experience on the water is the greatest teacher so sharing some of those could be really helpful to hear.

I have not fished stillwaters much during the dog-days, with the exception of a late July trip to Bayley a year or two ago with my Dad where it was one of those insane days where the trout were aggresively feeding on chiros and the patterns which imitate them. Surface temps were in the 70 degree range and while there were fish in the depths (a relative term given its not a large nor extremely deep lake), our greatest success came in 10-12 ft of water. Standard indicator tactics were sufficient without having to break out the full-sinking lines or use extremely long leaders and "slip-bobbers" to reach the fish.

Let the conversation begin if anyone is so inclined. Tight lines.

Rooscooter
Warrant Officer

RE:mid-late summer stillwater strategies

Post by Rooscooter » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:59 pm

As the weather warms I usually start fishing the lakes around Colville or Newport. They are at a higher elevation and tend to stay cooler.

With that said during the "dog days" I find that most of the same techniques that work in the cooler months still work, however just at specific times of the day rather than all day long. Early and late I have caught plenty of fish at Amber Lake with dry fly patterns during warmer weather. Dry damsel and mayfly patterns work along the edges of the weeds. The fish don't "cruise" as much when the surface is warm, however they will come from the cooler water below to feed.

Also "dangling" is a good technique. I have used both chironomid as well as larger bugger/leech patterns with great success in the warmer weather.

The key is to determine where the thermocline (layer of cooler, more oxygen rich water). Around here it usually settles between 12 and 20' down. The fish usually sit in the top 2 or 3 feet of this cooler water looking for food both above and below. Pulling a pattern through this layer (either vertically or by trolling/retrieving) can prove successful if you are matching the hatch correctly.

Also, I find that different species (Trout vs. Char) react differently to the warming water. Tiger Trout (a Char) in Fish Lake seem to chase large patterns retrieved very quickly from near the bottom even when the surface water is in the mid 70's while in the spring and fall they will cruise and do not readily chase. Rainbows and Cutts in Amber, Badger and Williams will tend to hold in pocket at the thermocline layer and only move (either up or down) to feed. If you catch them at the right time you can have fabulous days, if not, it can be skunksville!.

That's about all of my sagely advice for summer fishing.......except for going early and often....even if you don't catch anything it's still better than a day at the office or the honey-do list!

Tight Lines!
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbk
Petty Officer

RE:mid-late summer stillwater strategies

Post by dbk » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:46 pm

Rooscooter, great post! Thank you. Finding the thermocline- how do you establish where exactly that is? Are electronics necessary? I agree fish will hold there, but finding exactly that level is key just to get in the game so to speak if you are fishing during certain times of the day/season. Early and late fish will feed near the surface, even moving into shallower water as the night air cools the water enough for trout to seek food in those areas comfortably. I have had success fishing "shallow" (~10ft) in the summer months early (shortly after sunrise), targeting trout that have moved in there for one reason - to feed (not sure why else they would be in there). That being said, there are no absolutes- I have seen trout in the shallows during periods of peak sun and heat in the summer months when the water temps there would seem to be too warm for them, yet there they are. Not being a biologist, I have no scientific explanations for trout behavior in relation to water temperature, just my own observations and experiences. I agree that the same methods will work in the summer as in the fall and spring, but its a matter of timing (when) more than anything else as you said. Water temps also impact the "bugs" - do you find that as the season progresses and water temps increase, you use more "suggestive" patterns that offer a good profile of "many bugs" and are "life-like" than patterns which are "imitative" (match the hatch so to speak). I realize that each body of water is different, but I have a tendency to be more "imitative" in pattern selection, even to a fault, and my gut tells me at times to go against the "match the hatch" mentality, especially in the dog-days of summer.

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”