You do any flyfishing for bass?

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Drewp
Commander

You do any flyfishing for bass?

Post by Drewp » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:07 pm

Hey Fly Guys,

Just wondering if any of you guys target bass at all. I like to fly fish, but in the last couple years, I caught the bass bug and can't tear myself away from 'em. I'd be curious to know what fly patterns you use and how successful this technique is. Thanks all!

Cheers :cheers: :bounce: :cheers:
"My fingers smell fishy and I like it."

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

RE:You do any flyfishing for bass?

Post by Marc Martyn » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:15 pm

Sure you can catch bass on a fly. Use small poppers, muddler minnows or sculpins.:rambo:
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Swandazi
Petty Officer

Post by Swandazi » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:16 pm

I use, Crayfish patterns. bunny leachs, clousers, poppers, perch and sculpin patters, and wooley buggers,

jmay
Lieutenant

Post by jmay » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:40 am

I have had good luck on a brown leach pattern with a touch of flashaboo tired in. Muddlers, larger sized bead head zug bugs and water boatsman.

fish4brains
Warrant Officer

Post by fish4brains » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:25 pm

I always have my Fly Rod in boat when bass fishing and fish it every time out. The above guys covered everything under the surface but my favorite thing to throw on a fly rod is topwater. A DahlbergDiver in purple/black early morning,late evening, or after dark works like a champ. I also love to throw deer hair mice and deer hair frogs, those two get spectacular results. Big fly's require big rods. Leeches and smaller stuff you can get away with a 5wt but the bigger stuff in cover I throw a 8wt. Oh yeah hold on!!!

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:20 pm

I used to fish local lakes for bass. My prefered lure was the cheap rubber legged poppers. Reason for using the cheap ones is they were out of balance and would twist up on the line during casting. When they were sitting on the water the line would start untwisting and the popper would slowly turn over and wiggle the rubber legs. Bass couldn't resist it.

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”