a little different PFD thread

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

a little different PFD thread

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:48 am

I know we have a toon/pfd thread going,, but i've always wanted to know something. Has anybody out there ever gone in the water and tested the ability of their PFD to float? Grant it we all use different types, but i have always had my concerns with a few of these vests. I use an adult lg/X large jet ski type vest. i think it calls itself an "Adult" size. This one does not give an amount of weight that it holds.
What really gets me is that the standard vests that you find at sporting good stores will say something like, they are rated for under 90lbs or over 90 lbs. They don't give information as to how much they actually will hold on the over 90 vest.
For most of this very common type vests that you see, that is the only option that they sell. i have always wanted to test my 200lbs or even a friend at 175lbs.
Any of you done that ever? :-"
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

RE:a little different PFD thread

Post by racfish » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:39 pm

I wear a plain Stearns Pfd and Ive fell in a couple of times off boats toons and docks.Im always glad to have one on.It floats you enough to stay afloat for some time and I weighed 300 lbs.It floated me enough so I didnt ever have to submerge.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:35 pm

Whether you float or sink depends a great deal on your body type and what you are wearing and not how much you weigh. Someone with a fairly low body fat percentage will typically need more flotation than a person who has a higher percentage. That being said, I also know those of us who wear fishing vests crammed full of any and all gear imaginable including sinkers and slinkies need to be aware that we need some extra flotation. Vests are rated by how much buoyancy they provide, 10lb, 20lb, 35lb etc. and if they can hold your face out of the water if you are not conscious. If you are on your boat and not wearing anything other than regular clothes most any vest will do the trick. However if you are in your toon or tube or even wading in a river, you should seriously consider a flotation device with more than 20lbs of buoyancy. Most of your type 2 and type 3 vests only provide 15 to 17lbs of buoyancy.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:57 pm

I use a Sterns inflatable. Once a year I pop it and replace the cartridge. Tried it the first change and it would easily float me and my goretex waders. Always wear a PFD, no matter what kind of boat or what kind of water you're around. It all happens way too fast, even in the summer.
My brother slipped and fell in while docking his boat. The PFD inflated and kept the boat from smashing his head between it and the dock. One way or another the PFD saved him.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:09 pm

This isn't precise but thought it might help a little

Life Jackets:
Appropriate fit and other common questions

Is there a law about life jacket use?
As of 1999, children under 12 years of age must WEAR a jacket on boats shorter than 19 feet whenever the vessel is underway and the child is on an open deck or in an open cockpit on any waters in the State of Washington. In addition, a Coast Guard-approved personal flotation device must be on the boat for each person on board. Boats 16 feet or longer must also have at least one throwable flotation device.

What is the difference in types of life jacket devices?
Type
What kind of conditions does it work in?
Does it turn wearer face-up in water?
Fit

Type I

Off-shore
Rough, open water. Rescue may be slow to come.
Turns most people face-up in water.
Bulky to wear.

Type II

Near-shore
Calm, inland water. Quick rescue expected.
Turns some people face-up in water.
Less bulky.

Type III

Flotation Aid
Calm, inland water.

Quick rescue expected.
Floats wearer upright in water. May have to tilt head back to avoid going facedown in water.
Most comfortable.

Designed for recreational activities like water-skiing.

Type IV

Throwable Device
Calm, inland water. Quick rescue expected.
Not for unconscious persons, children or non-swimmers.
Can’t be worn, must be thrown to victim.

*Type V devices include special use devices and some inflatable vests.

What should I know about life jackets for kids?
Selecting a PFD
Read the label to be sure that it is Coast Guard-approved and is designed for the weight of the child. Jackets with neck pillows help keep the child’s head out of the water, which may reduce panic if he or she does fall in the water. A nylon hook on the back of the jacket provides a convenient way to grab the child out of the water, should the need arise. A strap that goes between the legs and hooks onto the front of the jacket helps keep the jacket from slipping off the child.

Proper Fit
All buckles and straps should be fastened.
When a child is lifted by the shoulders of the jacket, it should be snug enough that the chin and ears do not slip through.
When a child raises their arms the jacket should not come above the ears and chin.
Inflatable jackets are not appropriate for anyone under 16 years of age.

Try it out!
Children will be more comfortable in emergency situations if they have had a chance to practice wearing their life jackets. Teach them to float on their backs while wearing a life jacket.

Children in and near the water need to be kept in sight at all times.

Life Jackets do not take the place of adult supervision.

Know when children should wear life jackets.
Birth to age 5: anytime when near or on water such as beaches, docks, boats, inner tubes & riverbanks.

Ages 6 – 11: anytime when near or on water such as beaches, docks, boats, inner tubes and river banks.

Teens to adults: on boats and inner tubes.

How do I care for the life jacket?
Let the life jackets drip-dry thoroughly after use. Don't dry a life jacket on a radiator, heater or any other direct heat source.
A weathered-looking life jacket can indicate loss of strength. Store it in a dry, cool, dark, well-ventilated place.
Don't put heavy objects on top of the life jackets or use it as a kneeling pad or boat fender.
Don't alter the life jacket. If it doesn't fit, get one that does.
Check life jacket for rips, tears and holes. Be sure seams, fabric straps and belts are all secure.

Read about East Pierce Fire & Rescue's Life Jacket Loaner Program

East Pierce Professional Firefighters, Local 3520, is committed to the safety of the residents living in our district. We have life jackets for sale for children to adult. You can purchase one for $13.00 at East Pierce Fire & Rescue. Please stop by the station to be fitted for your life jacket.

[Home] [CPR] [Helmet Safety]

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:08 pm

G-Man wrote: Vests are rated by how much buoyancy they provide, 10lb, 20lb, 35lb etc. .
I will have to check this out on my vest, all the vests I've seen talk about over/under 90 lbs of weight. Thanks for the info.
since you talked about buoncy (sp?) ratings of 20 lbs, I will assume the 90lbs is of body weight.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

2000subaru
Commander

Post by 2000subaru » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:14 pm

Look at these pages for some more info. They are from the boatus.com website and are research findings about inflatables, but provide alot of good information.

http://www.boatus.com/foundation/findin ... blepfd.htm

http://www.boatus.com/foundation/findin ... gonair.htm

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:34 pm

quadradamous,

Yes, the 90lbs is the body weight of the person wearing the vest and does not have anything to do with how much buoyancy it provides. If you can afford them, the self inflating vests are by far the most comfortable and offer the top protection in the event you fall in and knock yourself out.

VHMLLC
Commander

Post by VHMLLC » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:30 pm

im going to the local pool to test mine as i think the waters a tad cold this time of year. it needs to be tested and recharged any way :nemo:

:viking:
Stan.
Enjoy Your Days & Love Your Life' Because Life is a journey to be savored !!!! GO FISHING

As Ben Franklin said: In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.

Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health.

Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid, than to drink water and be full of poop
There is no need to thank me for this valuable information: I'm doing it as a public service.

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”