Scanewa

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
leahcim_dahc
Commander

Scanewa

Post by leahcim_dahc » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:09 pm

Hi all-

The daughter and I are wanting to toss around a few flies and worms this weekend and have been thinking about hitting up Scanewa. I checked the reports and they are few and far between and even then...nothing within the past couple years. The last time I was in the area, there was quite a few trout rolling around but didn't fish it. Anyone have any words of wisdom before I head down there?

I'd also like to hit up a couple spots along the Cowlitz, as well. I have checked the water level reports...and it does seem to have slowed down quite a bit since I was there last (about a month ago). Has anyone been down in that area lately and know what the water conditions are like? The areas I would like to head to are anywhere between the 108 Bridge (mouth of Riffe) and where Goat Creek and even the Cispus flows into the Cowlitz. Thanks!!
Chad

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln, 1809-1865

leahcim_dahc
Commander

RE:Scanewa

Post by leahcim_dahc » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:50 pm

I was going to post some information about my trip, but got busy with a C.L.S. course I had to attend the past few days. Not going to post a report here, but at least post about the water conditions.

I didn't get to fish much...the water level was quite a bit higher than I had last seen it. I usually fish just below the 108 bridge as the Cowlitz spills into Riffe Lake. Crawl down some rocks to the water and fish away. This time the water was covering those rocks. Matter of fact, the water was so high it was damn near to the tree line...which put the water level about 20-30 feet higher than the last several times I have been there. Basically, all my spots are under water and I couldn't get to them.

Stopped by Scanewa just upstream from the Cowlitz Falls Dam about 300 - 400 meters or so. Most spots were not very fly fishing friendly...at least from shore. I would have taken the pontoon out, but had my daughter with me. I did find a spot I could toss a nymph around for a while, but was pretty much stuck casting to one spot and drifting it downstream. Couldn't really work the water like I wanted to. The fish were there...just couldn't get my fly to them. A boat would have made all the difference. The water was moving fairly slowly along the river to the dam, and after the dam into Riffe. Still a bit of snags floating down and hanging up in the logjam at the dam...but they move slow enough one has plenty of time to get out of the way...unless they're not paying attention.

The daughter caught fish...I went fishless, minus a 3" fry of some sort...couldn't really identify it. Caught him on a black G.P. Nymph.

Oh, for what it's worth...I decided to take a trip up towards Wallupt Lake. Got about ten to twelve miles from there and had to stop and turn around. The road had about a foot and a half to two feet of hard packed snow. I'm sure it is deeper the further up the mountain it went. Going to be late summer before I think anyone can reasonably get there...
Chad

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln, 1809-1865

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”