Fly Fishing Clubs

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
leahcim_dahc
Commander

Fly Fishing Clubs

Post by leahcim_dahc » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:47 pm

Now that I have been bitten by the fly fishing bug, I am wondering about clubs. Are there any reputable clubs in the Puget Sound area that anyone would recommend? Specifically in the south sound. It wouldn't be a deal breaker if I had to drive a ways, if meetings or workshops were held once a month outside of my area.

I haven't looked into joining anything for fishing, however it would be a very good resource in particular finding mentors and partners. I don't have long until I deploy for a year, and joining one now would be moot, but it might be good to have some contacts when I do get back.

I am planning a trip to a fly shop in the Kent area for later this week or first of next week and will asking them...but would rather get thoughts and opinions from those not trying to sell me anything. Thanks!

Chad
Chad

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln, 1809-1865

Lotech Joe
Commodore

RE:Fly Fishing Clubs

Post by Lotech Joe » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:35 pm

By all means, if you want to join a fly fishing club, do so! Some of the best information and best fishing friends you can find are members of established local clubs. I've found this to be true in whatever sport I pursued. And, I've been into archery and bow hunting, muzzle loader hunting and mountain man re-enactment with authentic rendezvous. I've joined bass fishing clubs and even explored some back packing stuff. What I've mostly found was that they all ask for dues. They all ask for work party participation. They all ask that you volunteer as an event manager. They all ask you to run for office as an officer or board member. All these things are essential to have a successful "dues" club. If that is something you are interested in, then by all means, go for it. The knowledge and benefits are awesome. One caveat however; watch out for the politics! The in-fighting can ruin your interest in a great sport. I left bowhunting and archery because of the politics. I left muzzleloader hunting and mountain man re-enactment because of the politics. So, I'm determined not to join a "dues club" to pursue my most favorite interest of fishing. The best organizations to be a member of for fishing are available online. And guess what; washingtonlakes.com heads the list. Your best information is here. Your best fishing partners are here. If it's trout fishing, it's here. If it's bass fishing, it's here. If it's fly fishing, it's here. If it's saltwater fishing, it's here. So, I say ask away. You'll find your answers here. We aren't trying to sell you anything here. It's all free.
I hope my input helps.
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

leahcim_dahc
Commander

Post by leahcim_dahc » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:27 pm

Thanks for the insight. I'm not into the politics game...that would be the biggest deal breaker. I don't have the time or the inclination to play those games. As far as "work parties" go...I don't mind. Unless it started consuming too much of my time.

[quote="Lotech Joe"]The best organizations to be a member of for fishing are available online. And guess what]

Yes, for the most part I agree with you. The biggest thing is being face to face. It's one thing to tell a person, through the power of voodoo and the magic box that sits under my desk, what they should be doing, but seeing it done in person makes all the difference. One can only get so much out of You Tube...only to forget the process or unable to duplicate for whatever reason once on the water. I guess that would be the biggest reasoning for me to join a club of sorts.

Thanks for your input!

Chad
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chad

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln, 1809-1865

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:39 pm

All clubs have their good points and bad points. The one thing that Joe didn't mention is that they work closely with the game department and are an influence in the policies of the department. They also have projects like stream rehabilitation and community involvement.

I belong to a club in Spokane and have been involved in a couple of projects. One being a day out fishing with the kids from Morning Star Boys Ranch. This program has been going on for many years and has been quite successful. It is an opportunity to help a kid have a fun day fishing. I thoroughly enjoyed participating.

Any time that you have a group of people together, whether it be at your job or in a club, you are going to have politics. Rumors, propaganda and the all present "pecking order" is always there. A person has the choice to disregard it or engulf themselves in it. I choose not to get into the silly side of politics.

leahcim_dahc
Commander

Post by leahcim_dahc » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:45 pm

I got to googling and found a couple. I suppose I will make contact with the one's in my area. If for nothing else to see what projects they're involved in and any other tidbits of information I can get. Like Marc said...keep away from the politics end of things.

Joining a club isn't a do or die thing for me...but has been something I have thought about doing. Just haven't made up my mind. Thanks for your input!

For those searching for fly fishing clubs, I found a list with a few clubs and their contact information. See linky below...

http://www.washingtoncouncilfff.org/Clubs.htm

Chad
Chad

w7co
Petty Officer

Post by w7co » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:27 pm

Yes and no. I am a member of the Kitsap Fly Anglers club which has all the above mentioned problems. I attend for the educational content. On the other hand I also belong to a group of guys who have formed a loose group of non dues paying fly fishing clan. In addition to fishing we usually get together once a month to tie fly's. If it wasn't for the informal group I probably would be fishing alone.

leahcim_dahc
Commander

Post by leahcim_dahc » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:08 pm

w7co wrote:Yes and no. I am a member of the Kitsap Fly Anglers club which has all the above mentioned problems. I attend for the educational content. On the other hand I also belong to a group of guys who have formed a loose group of non dues paying fly fishing clan. In addition to fishing we usually get together once a month to tie fly's. If it wasn't for the informal group I probably would be fishing alone.
I haven't given much thought to an actual "informal" type of club. I find it particularly interesting "If it wasn't for the informal group I probably would be fishing alone.". I have always naturally assumed that is one of the primary reasons for joining a club. But then again, that coincides with what Lotech Joe stated about other organizations (i.e.- online organizations like WL.com).

What is the educational content like? I mean is it fairly structured, kind of like a classroom book study type of process. Are there speakers, hands on practical exercises, stuff like that? Or is it more informal with a bunch of guys hanging out talking about different aspects of fly fishing. I would be inclined to think it the latter, but I've met a few really geeky fly guys that eat, sleep and breath nothing but stream and stillwater critters. I could see it going both ways.

Thanks for your input!

Chad
Chad

w7co
Petty Officer

Post by w7co » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:31 am

Chad,

Educational content is provided in the form of speakers and usually some sort of demonstration. They have excellent fly tiers. My informal group is loosly grouped on our own google family web site where we can leave messages and photos for each other. We can arrange outings with others also. Like last week I mentioned I was going out Friday and one othe other available guys left a note and said he would meet me there. And he did. They are arranging an overnight trip later this month. This group also has some excellent teachers and doers. All depends on your what you like.

Mike

leahcim_dahc
Commander

Post by leahcim_dahc » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:35 pm

Mike,

Thank you for the information and insight regarding the "club" alternatives. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Chad
Chad

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”