newb switch rod questions

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Donc67
Angler

newb switch rod questions

Post by Donc67 » Wed May 06, 2015 7:51 am

Hello to the Fly Fishing Community.

I have a 13' 5wt switch rod that I need advice on matching the reel and line to. In talking to friends, I get a lot of different information and I'm sure there are many right answers. Any advice you folks could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Donc67

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: newb switch rod questions

Post by Bodofish » Wed May 06, 2015 8:56 am

Well Like what are you wondering about? Typically with a two hander you would want a bigger reel to hold the larger lines and their tips. Sounds like you're getting ready to chase some hatchery/summer runs when they show?
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Donc67
Angler

Post by Donc67 » Wed May 06, 2015 10:46 am

Wondering about reel size, hearing 8wt for 5wt switch rod. And recommendations on line set up. Absolutely looking to go after summer run hatchery steelhead. Good call.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed May 06, 2015 11:29 am

Donc67 wrote:Wondering about reel size, hearing 8wt for 5wt switch rod. And recommendations on line set up. Absolutely looking to go after summer run hatchery steelhead. Good call.
I haven't made the move to a two hander yet. I do like the 10 foot switch's though. About the only thing I've heard on lines is the RIO Skagit's are the way to go. Then you just have to change the tips out. Of course, plenty of backing. I was looking at a full two handed Spey 8wt and the shop wanted to pair it with a 10-12 reel. So that sounds about right, an 8 wt for the 5wt switch. Look for spool diameter, 70-5mm bigger is better when you have them on the reel. Wasn't really ready to part with $1800+ so I'm still shopping..... some good deals on the web as long as you don't need to go big name rods.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Donc67
Angler

Post by Donc67 » Wed May 06, 2015 2:43 pm

Bodofish wrote:
Donc67 wrote:Wondering about reel size, hearing 8wt for 5wt switch rod. And recommendations on line set up. Absolutely looking to go after summer run hatchery steelhead. Good call.
I haven't made the move to a two hander yet. I do like the 10 foot switch's though. About the only thing I've heard on lines is the RIO Skagit's are the way to go. Then you just have to change the tips out. Of course, plenty of backing. I was looking at a full two handed Spey 8wt and the shop wanted to pair it with a 10-12 reel. So that sounds about right, an 8 wt for the 5wt switch. Look for spool diameter, 70-5mm bigger is better when you have them on the reel. Wasn't really ready to part with $1800+ so I'm still shopping..... some good deals on the web as long as you don't need to go big name rods.
Good advice, thanks. I'm not ready to part with $1800+ yet either. <g> Appreciate your input!

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu May 07, 2015 11:17 pm

A large arbor reel will be needed to hold the big diameter lines. Go with a 7 or 8. There are a lot of opinions on reels. I fish Temple Fork reels, I like 'em. You'll want it light, but don't break the bank.

For a switch rod, I'd get a Rio Switch line, a Skagit Short, and a kit of versi tips. You'll want to google your rod's make and model, they will tell you the grain weight that it's been designed to throw.

The reason you get the switch line, is for nymphing, streamers, that sort of thing it's magic. The Skagit is for when you want to chuck big bugs and sink tips to really dredge the bottom. I have two reels that I switch between, but you can also get a spare spool for your lines. The Rio tip kit is really cool, it has everything you need, and the loop to loop connections are awesom. Although in the summer I like the Airflo Ridge running line, it flies through the guides. In the winter, the ridges freeze, so I switch it back.

Donc67
Angler

Post by Donc67 » Mon May 11, 2015 9:51 am

natetreat wrote:A large arbor reel will be needed to hold the big diameter lines. Go with a 7 or 8. There are a lot of opinions on reels. I fish Temple Fork reels, I like 'em. You'll want it light, but don't break the bank.

For a switch rod, I'd get a Rio Switch line, a Skagit Short, and a kit of versi tips. You'll want to google your rod's make and model, they will tell you the grain weight that it's been designed to throw.

The reason you get the switch line, is for nymphing, streamers, that sort of thing it's magic. The Skagit is for when you want to chuck big bugs and sink tips to really dredge the bottom. I have two reels that I switch between, but you can also get a spare spool for your lines. The Rio tip kit is really cool, it has everything you need, and the loop to loop connections are awesom. Although in the summer I like the Airflo Ridge running line, it flies through the guides. In the winter, the ridges freeze, so I switch it back.

Nate, thanks very much. This is exactly the information I was looking for. Truly appreciate it!

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”