March 1st opening weekend

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
zen leecher
Commander

March 1st opening weekend

Post by zen leecher » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:18 pm

Who's fishing the Seep Lakes on the March opening weekend?

I'll be out at one or two starting Thursday the 1st.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Re: March 1st opening weekend

Post by MarkFromSea » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:09 pm

I thought most of the Seeps changed to April first or later,, did they change them back to March first.... Used to be my fav opener.... Upper Hampton.
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:19 pm

Seeps are April 1st... Coral is year round now, Soda, some others....
Quincy Lakes are Mar 1... except the year round ones there.

zen leecher
Commander

Post by zen leecher » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:49 am

Not all seeps are April 1st. The ones on the Columbia Wildlife Refuge went to April 1st. That was for duck nesting protection.

A lot of others below the Potholes are year round but one should wait until the ice goes off.

Quincy area ones are mostly March 1st.

Irafly
Angler

Post by Irafly » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:50 pm

Zen, I just joined here, I tried to send you a pm on that other site, but it would go through. I'll be over on the 1st just no sure what or where I'll be fishing yet.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:40 pm

zen leecher wrote:Not all seeps are April 1st. The ones on the Columbia Wildlife Refuge went to April 1st. That was for duck nesting protection.

A lot of others below the Potholes are year round but one should wait until the ice goes off.

Quincy area ones are mostly March 1st.
Yep, what I said. ;)

zen leecher
Commander

Post by zen leecher » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:33 am

Mark, you are 100% correct and I stand corrected. I thought when the CWR people pushed for the April 1st opener on their lakes a few years ago that there were still some left that were March 1st. Looks like the Seep Lakes are either April 1st (CWR) or year round.

I thought some of the ones just north of Sage Lakes were March 1st.

Thanks for the clarification.

When I reviewed the list of east side lakes for March 1st openers I did find one over here that might need a recon trip to.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:35 am

It's ok Zen. You made it much more clear. I summarized a bit too much making it less clear. There is the matter of definition for many. There are many individual seep lakes around the state, lakes resulting from a raised water table from the installation of dams but not directly behind the dam itself. Versus: "The Seep Lakes", the lakes below the O'Sullivan Dam. I thought the date confusion might have laid there, but, not the case. I've heard some call the "Quincy Lakes", above George, the Seep Lakes. It doesn't rub me wrong, just trying to keep it straight myself.
I don't know what the ice situation is on Coffee Pot, that's the Mar 1 lake I would like to hit on an early ice out year. Selective gear at Coffee Pot. gas motors allowed last time I read the regs. 1 or 2 fish limit??? Need Discover Pass, WDFW pass isn't sufficient now since DNR facility and land. There was lots of ice on Waitts last weekend, I can only guess that CP has too little to ice fish and not enough to boat fish at this time. I just don't know that to be fact. I've only fished Coffee Pot a couple times in late April and was thoroughly satisfied.
I did try to find a compiled list of Mar 1 lakes At WDFW but alas, ya just gotta thumb through the regs I guess and pick em out one by one... It's not hard and a good way to review some special regs for lakes. There is about 50 of them per something I read, "Fishing Prospects In WA.">>>"2011 Washington Fishing Prospects WHERE TO CATCH FISH IN THE EVERGREEN STATE" Coffee Pot when ice clears!

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:40 pm

I'll be over about a week after the opener. I'm a weather wimp and it looks to be fairly crummy weather for the opener. I don't want to wait too long as when it warms up the ticks and rattle snakes come out.

zen leecher
Commander

Post by zen leecher » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:00 am

wolverine, PM me when you come over and if my busy schedule permits I will go fishing with you.

My busy schedule right now is doing taxes two days a week, taking out the garbage and thinking about fishing.

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”