Now for something different.

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
sparky1doug
Lieutenant

Now for something different.

Post by sparky1doug » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:50 am

As an avid trout, salmon and steelhead fisherman its hard to think of anything else. However there are some other fish out there waiting to be hunted and caught. Northern Pike and Tiger Muskie provide another oppurtunity and challenge right here in Washington State. Surpised? I know I was. We have some of the hottest Pike fishing in the lower 48 and Tiger Muskies over 50", hard to believe? Do they take a fly? Absolutly!!! Pike, the little ones are 24" the big ones in the 40's and up to 30lbs. Tiger Muskie, the little fish are 36" and 42-48 are the average ones. However they earn the name " the fish of 10,000 casts". Interested? Clear up some of the old myths that follow these preditors. Join the conversation find out where and how.
Attachments
tn.jpg
tn.jpg (1.8 KiB) Viewed 857 times
"Forever Fishing Washington State" my fish friendly blog on Google.
http://foreverfishing-sparky1doug.blogspot.com/

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

RE:Now for something different.

Post by Rich McVey » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:17 am

Fly fishin for them sure would be different.

What type of gear do you use compared to typical Musky gear?

sparky1doug
Lieutenant

Post by sparky1doug » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:33 am

I use a 10w fly rod with a full sink line and a perch or small mouth bass pattern. The flies are 4-6" long and segmented is preferable. The retreive is fast with frequent direction changes. The Tigers are very interested and will follow about 25% of the time when presented to them. In four Tiger trips I've got one good take and 4 right to the boat but lost them in the figure 8, still working on that skill. Pike fishing has been very sucessful as they explode on the fly.
"Forever Fishing Washington State" my fish friendly blog on Google.
http://foreverfishing-sparky1doug.blogspot.com/

deepbuzzer
Petty Officer

Post by deepbuzzer » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:13 pm

Sparky, I fish Silver lake and Newman over here on the East side for musky, pike and largemouth bass.
I use the sage bass series 330 grain fly rod, its only 7'11" equal to a 11 weight. This rod really helps in being able to throw right to your target and to be able to move those big flies up to 8" into the wind, and a lot easier to stick into the water for a figure 8 or for a change of direction strip. The 9' rods have a tendency to have a softer butt section then the new sage rods. You can load into a fish and haul them out of the deepest cover.

I love fishing for pike and tigers. my largest has been 42"

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”