Chernobyl ant?

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
HillbillyGeek
Captain

Chernobyl ant?

Post by HillbillyGeek » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:47 am

Anyone tried these in WA?

link to chernobyl ant
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

LittleTrib
Petty Officer

RE:Chernobyl ant?

Post by LittleTrib » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:44 pm

I use them in the summer on the Yak and Methow, usually with a dropper nymph hanging off of it. The fish take the dropper most of the time but I've hooked some huge cutts and bows on the Chernobyl on top.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:28 pm

I think I saw one tied at the sportmans show in Puyallup. For the Yakima or the person tying was from there.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:16 am

HG... Spring and Summer on the Yakima with a trailer works. The ant seems to work by itself close along the riverbanks and the seams at times, but i use it with the trailer for cutthroat. The cutts seem to be more agressive with terrestrials. I have never used one that was pink though. I will post a pic of the one I use. I think I got it at Orvis...I didn't make it my self. If you google "Chernobyl ant" you will find hundreds of hits. Lot's of different kinds and how to make them yourself. I want to add that this lure or fly is usually quite large and is for larger trout. The sizes I have is a 6 and an 8 and I have never used it as a goto fly. I use it if I get a few larger trout or cutthroat hits first and want to change up from a small fly. Good luck, Steve
Attachments
chernobyl_ant.jpg
chernobyl_ant.jpg (16.63 KiB) Viewed 2100 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

UptheCreek
Angler

Post by UptheCreek » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:30 am

I use this fly all the time and it produces very well for cutts. Don't use it much in Wash st though, mostly Idaho rivers.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:25 am

It seems like it shares some simmilar color with the Eastern Washington Caddisfly that I used to see in the Blue Mountains. I could see it having some success at least over on that side of the state.

SAPIplate
Warrant Officer

Post by SAPIplate » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:52 pm

It's a fairly popular fly during the summer on the Methow, Yak, Kettle, and others. I've used it to great success on many WA, Montana and Idaho streams.
Release Wild Steelhead
Pink Salmon Fan
Salmo trutta

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”