want to start fishing for bass

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
hottshott206
Petty Officer

want to start fishing for bass

Post by hottshott206 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:20 am

what kind of gear should i start using i have a 6'6 mh rod and a 7ft mh rod 7ft medium rod. i have alot of power bait crawfish plastics and slot of diffrent plastic worms. have some spinnerbaits and some crankbaits and more coming since im picking up more from a member here. i dont know how to use any of it i just like to buy gear i i figured i need to start using them more now lol thanks in advance :)

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:want to start fishing for bass

Post by Amx » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:24 am

There is another thread on this subject that was started the other day.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=yfp-t ... for%20bass
Tom.

Interests: living

hottshott206
Petty Officer

Post by hottshott206 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:28 am

thanks for the links

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:23 am

Welcome to the dark side!

Also look at the Lake fishing Mentor, see if you can talk to a mentor on which lake you want to fish at. If your really starting out to bass fish, I suggest smaller lakes.

http://www.washingtonlakes.com/forum/ya ... ntors.aspx

bcalvert
Lieutenant

Post by bcalvert » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:28 am

Hello, I'm Brian and I am a Bassaholic!

As a new bass angler myself, i would recommend reading up on how and when to use the baits you have already acquired. Then get out on a lake and give it a try. I found the best formula for me was to read, hit the lake, then come home and re-read the same articles and posts again. Many times the re-read would would help more after i had given that particular tactic a try first.

Another 'trap' i fell into, don't get too crazy on buying a bunch of new gear. There is an unbelievable amount of gear available that is targeted at the bass angler. In my case, that new gear doesn't catch any fish unless you try to learn how to use it. Sure it looks cool in the tackle box, and I always enjoy feeding that part of my bass addiction with the purchase of new gear. But with the 'help' of my wife, I am starting to take better control over that part of my addiction.
Washington State Pond Jumperz
Washington's First Electric Only Bass Club
Hosting five open entry electric motor bass tournaments in 2012.

For the rich, there is therapy. For the rest of us, there is FISHING!

spindog
Commander

Post by spindog » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:38 am

In buying tackle , keep it simple at first- lures are tools and you can start with a few cranks, spinnerbaits, rattle baits, soft plastics and jigs. Basic tools of the trade.
You need to be able to fish from shallow to deep, and fish horizontal to vertical. I suggest fishing small bodies of water so you
can cover and recover areas, it ups your odds in catching bass. You will learn faster.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cast first, worry later.