Boat Docks For Bass

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
spindog
Commander

Boat Docks For Bass

Post by spindog » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:37 am

Boat docks are great early season cover and stucture. What makes a good dock? Ive had the best luck on docks that are most complex, different sections, boat houses and boat lifts. Docks that are low to the water surface tend to produce best, they offer more shade and cover. Sometimes docks that are isolated from other docks may be most attractive because its the only available dock in the area.
Most of the time, rather than the particular dock, it comes down to the bottom type [composition] and water depth.

Prior to spawning, groups of bass tend to cruise from dock to dock, and will typically hold on particular docks during mid day sun. During cloudy conditions the bass. tend to be more on the move.
When fishing docks I try and skip small platics way up under the most recessed portions of the docks. The most important
thing is if you see a fish-dont cast right on her noggin. Usually I'll cruise along with the trolling motor looking for fish, on a
clear water lake you can see these fish with your eyeballs. Then I'll come back to these fish holding docks and make some casts.
Fishing docks takes stealth, dont get to close and if a fish swims out and sees you- its over, leave the area and come back later.
Docks provide excellent cover, sructure and spawning areas. Use some common sense, docks are private property fish them
with respect.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cast first, worry later.

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

RE:Boat Docks For Bass

Post by Bigbass Dez » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:48 am

spindog wrote:Boat docks are great early season cover and stucture. Ive had the best luck on docks that are most complex, different
sections, boat houses and boat lifts. Docks that are low to the water surface tend to produce best, they offer more shade
and cover. Sometimes docks that are isolated from other docks may be most attractive because its the only available dock.
Prior to spawning, groups of bass tend to cruise from dock to dock, and will hold on particular docks during mid day. Cloudy
conditions the bass. tend to be more on the move.
When fishing docks I try and skip small platics way up under the most recessed portions of the docks. The most important
thing is if you see a fish-dont cast right on her noggin. Usually I'll cruise along with the trolling motor looking for fish, on a
clear water lake you can see these fish with your eyeballs. Then come back to these fish holding docks and make some casts.
Fishing docks takes stealth, dont get to close and if a fish swims out and sees you its over, leave and come back later.
Docks provide excellent cover, sructure and spawning areas. Use some common sense, docks are private property fish them
with respect.

Hey Spindog , are you talking LMB here or smallies ?

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

Nik
Lieutenant

Post by Nik » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:09 pm

I think he's talking Largies, but docks are sure underrated for smallmouth. In that late spring/early summer period you can pull a smallie out from under almost every dock on some lakes.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:30 pm

I get lots of smallies out from under docks.
Tom.

Interests: living

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:37 pm

Nik wrote:I think he's talking Largies, but docks are sure underrated for smallmouth. In that late spring/early summer period you can pull a smallie out from under almost every dock on some lakes.

no dout Nik !!

Im gonna stay away from docks again this year , it worked in my favor last year by fishing more off shore structure which was one my goals . Less fishing pressure in the middle of lake , more fish to pull from one two spots .. thats my story and im sticking to it !!

Dobyns Rods

Panic Minnow

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Nik
Lieutenant

Post by Nik » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:56 pm

Bigbass Dez wrote:
Nik wrote:I think he's talking Largies, but docks are sure underrated for smallmouth. In that late spring/early summer period you can pull a smallie out from under almost every dock on some lakes.

no dout Nik !!

Im gonna stay away from docks again this year , it worked in my favor last year by fishing more off shore structure which was one my goals . Less fishing pressure in the middle of lake , more fish to pull from one two spots .. thats my story and im sticking to it !!
good idea. really i think everyone except me should stay away from docks this year.

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:14 pm

Nik wrote:
Bigbass Dez wrote:

no dout Nik !!

good idea. really i think everyone except me should stay away from docks this year.

Now thats a great ideal Nik !! As for co-operation i would suggest that you send a PM to Spindog because is all over it !! lol

Dobyns Rods

Panic Minnow

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

spindog
Commander

Post by spindog » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:56 pm

Bigbass Dez wrote:Hey Spindog, are you talking LMB here or smallies?

Sorry Bigbass Dez I didn't realize I had to be more specific, ya I'm talking LMB. But I do find alot of big smallies using the docks for shallow cover and structure aswell, Ive also caught smallies when their bedding in and around docks.
Often there is good chunk rock and gravel near and around docks, where crawdads will hold and both species of bass will feed on them.

You want a trophy Largemouth, concentrate on docks from prespawn through the spawn and postspawn. Even in postspawn late spawners will be showing up, docks are by far the best place to get a trophy Largemouth, if your lucky it could be a season with a double digit bass with your name on it, there out there! Good luck!!!!
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cast first, worry later.

hookorcrook
Warrant Officer

Post by hookorcrook » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:40 pm

Thanks spindog! That's some great info. I've scared too many bass away by getting too close to the dock.

The biggest bass I ever saw in the water was sitting under a broken down dock, and I swam right up on her and her little male sweetie. I think she was about 7-8 lbs. Him, maybe 2-3. He seemed tiny compared to her. I didn't scare them though. They stayed put, but were not interested in any baits. They kept swimming up to me, and were very curious. They weren't on a bed though as far as a could tell.

Anyway, great reminder to stay stealthy. Thanks.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suzanne

basser90
Warrant Officer

Post by basser90 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:54 am

I would never exclude docks in my arsonal. Des is right, it's great finding new structure and fishing deep water structure, getting off of the community holes, but I personally can only drag rubber for so many months. There's definatly a time and a place for both. Pressure certainly plays a part of it, but tourney or fun fishing it's always about me and the fish anyways. Not only do I get to hone my flipping and pitching, it also allows me to try different baits, hard and soft with some surprising results. But then again, there's nothing much more thrilling then pulling 3 or 4 quality fish of a rock pile! Right Des? I target smallies and largies on docks, just different tecniques. At a minimum I will also throw a spinnerbait between docks.

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:21 am

basser90 wrote:I would never exclude docks in my arsonal. Des is right, it's great finding new structure and fishing deep water structure, getting off of the community holes, but I personally can only drag rubber for so many months. There's definatly a time and a place for both. Pressure certainly plays a part of it, but tourney or fun fishing it's always about me and the fish anyways. Not only do I get to hone my flipping and pitching, it also allows me to try different baits, hard and soft with some surprising results. But then again, there's nothing much more thrilling then pulling 3 or 4 quality fish of a rock pile! Right Des? I target smallies and largies on docks, just different tecniques. At a minimum I will also throw a spinnerbait between docks.

Your doing the right thing Basser and i encourage you to stay steady at it (sorry nik) .. Dont get me wrong , i love fishing docks early spring and early summer and i do know about those Pigs that live under them . Me personaly, i have to stay on new water as much possible for competion reasons . One thing i will point out to ya Basser it the when fishing offshore structure you dont have just throw a grub on a football head all the time . One of the main reasons i enjoy fishing off shore is because it allows to use my entire tackle bag , I get to use my favorite cranks, jerks, spinnerbaits , and starting this year, dare i say it , Swimbaits ..haha

You would be suprize at the amount and quality of fish that will suspend in 20-30ft of water during the early season , so yea i might be chunking a 6-10ft crank or a suspending jerk bait in 26ft but what lies below is most likely a hump that comes up 15ft off the bottom . It takes time on the water to stumble across areas like this but if you put a little time into looking for such opportunities the rewards are worth it ... :)

BBD

Dobyns Rods

Panic Minnow

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

basser90
Warrant Officer

Post by basser90 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:56 pm

ah yes, Time on the water, I hear ya loud and clear my brotha. Things are just now heating up and everything you just mentioned gets me stoked. See ya out on the water.

spindog
Commander

Post by spindog » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:37 pm

While fishing Boat docks on a particular lake usually a "pattern" will develop. You can look for similar docks, in similar locations and the bass will be keying in on the same areas. Then you will be able to establish a milk run, and go from dock to dock.
At the lakes I like to fish the bass use the same docks from year to year, I dont have to fish them all- just the best fish holding docks.
Learning which boat docks are best is the key in establishing a "pattern"- when you get bit, take notice of the type of dock and the surrounding area. [bottom type,cover,depth]

When the fish are more spread out later in the season, you have fish everywhere from heavy wood, lilypads, deeper grasslines and offshore humps and rockpiles- but a quick run by a handle full of Boat Docks can be well worth it.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cast first, worry later.

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:04 pm

I love docks. I feel that fishing from the float tube helps. I think my cohorts will agree with the stealth that you have. I'll toss all manner of baits...brush hawgs, jigs, senkos, grubs, swim senkos, even spinnerbaits, all with great success. I've found tho that some docks that have produced consistently in the past, have not produced at all the last couple of seasons. Some of these docks on my home lake produced fish nearly every time out...almost without fail. Now, a couple of these that were "magnets" in the past, produce zilch. I have not caught a fish on em. Nothing has changed that I can tell...but obviously something has. Any ideas?

BTW good point, spindog on respecting peoples property. Always.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hookorcrook
Warrant Officer

Post by hookorcrook » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:09 pm

BassDood wrote:I love docks. I feel that fishing from the float tube helps. I think my cohorts will agree with the stealth that you have. I'll toss all manner of baits...brush hawgs, jigs, senkos, grubs, swim senkos, even spinnerbaits, all with great success. I've found tho that some docks that have produced consistently in the past, have not produced at all the last couple of seasons. Some of these docks on my home lake produced fish nearly every time out...almost without fail. Now, a couple of these that were "magnets" in the past, produce zilch. I have not caught a fish on em. Nothing has changed that I can tell...but obviously something has. Any ideas?

BTW good point, spindog on respecting peoples property. Always.

Two words Jerry. Catch and Release.
Suzanne

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:38 pm

Good damn point, Suzanne
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

spindog
Commander

Post by spindog » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:19 pm

Bassdude wrote: Now, a couple of these that were "magnets" in the past, produce zilch. I have not caught a fish on em. Nothing has changed that I can tell...but obviously something has. Any ideas?
I've read that Bass can learn good and bad stimulus, and fishing pressure can change where these fish feal safe. Just as certain techniques and types of lures have a life span where they loose there effectiveness. I've experienced fish to be re-drawn to these magnets over time.
Quality fish being taken has hurt a few lakes that I know of. Hook a 5 plus pounder and have 3 others the same size swim along with the hooked fish, it used to be very common but on a "few" lakes its become now a rare sight......how sad!
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cast first, worry later.

basser90
Warrant Officer

Post by basser90 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:02 pm

I believe it's more of adapting to the changes. When I first started bass fishing I pretty much only fished docks. Had a blast but didn't realize there were so many other area's to catch bass. Always felt they were there but didn't have the skill or knowlege to adapt to that sort of fishing. So I definatly know where Des is coming from. Seems for me I usually just catch 1 quality bass off a particular dock, where when I'm fishing structure there seem to be more quality fish available in that spot to catch. I also believe more people catch and release now than ever before. In regards to if the fish are there or not . drop a camera down sometime. Very humbling.

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:10 am

I target docks in every Lk I fish. Every fish in Wa. Hawgs came off docks yea there over fished but most fishermen work the docks way too fast. Last year I fished behind a boat and caught fish that they had missed. In order to get the pigs you must work the docks slow and pick them apart. On many outings I would fish a dock with no fish, move to the other side and it's on. Or even make a second lap around the Lk and catch fish off docks that didn't produce befor. A rull of thumb always fish the shade side of the docks. As spin dog said the docks will have food all around them. Don't be scared to fish them and you could catch a fish of a life time. I have seen some state record fish under docks and they may not bite when your there or when I'm there. Do come back befor leaving the Lk and stay off the dock and try again. Use big baits like 3/4 oz jigs with dubble trailors and try trip trailors this will make a big difference. You should use braid so you don't lose any fish or lures. All it takes is one wrap around and your fish is gone with out braid.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

bassmasterderek
Commander

Post by bassmasterderek » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:40 am

Trent Hale wrote:I target docks in every Lk I fish. Every fish in Wa. Hawgs came off docks yea there over fished but most fishermen work the docks way too fast. Last year I fished behind a boat and caught fish that they had missed. In order to get the pigs you must work the docks slow and pick them apart. On many outings I would fish a dock with no fish, move to the other side and it's on. Or even make a second lap around the Lk and catch fish off docks that didn't produce befor. A rull of thumb always fish the shade side of the docks. As spin dog said the docks will have food all around them. Don't be scared to fish them and you could catch a fish of a life time. I have seen some state record fish under docks and they may not bite when your there or when I'm there. Do come back befor leaving the Lk and stay off the dock and try again. Use big baits like 3/4 oz jigs with dubble trailors and try trip trailors this will make a big difference. You should use braid so you don't lose any fish or lures. All it takes is one wrap around and your fish is gone with out braid.
Good Point Trent! Might I add that while stealth is important when approaching a dock, the angle you approach a dock is important as well. Key areas I usually cast to is corners, structures(pilings), and ladders.

I have experienced a certain dock to produce well one year and not the next but one of the docks next to it does. In my opinion its not the dock its the food and location of that row of docks. Docks are a fun way to pick pigs.