New to Washington Bass'n

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Joe A
Angler

New to Washington Bass'n

Post by Joe A » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:18 pm

Hey guys...I am new to fishing for Bass in Washington. Right now I dont have a boat, live in Bonney Lake and fished docks on Lake Tapps all summer with one good catch (see profile pic). Any suggestions??? I am looking for a small boat now but may not be able to make it happen until next year, so if you have any good bank spots throw them my way!

medic1
Petty Officer

RE:New to Washington Bass'n

Post by medic1 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:02 pm

Have you thought about a float tube or little pontoon raft? Either one is a cheap way to get out on the water

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:34 pm

Welcome to the family JoeA.

I would first start here: New Members Introduce Yourself so we can all get to know you a little bit.

Then post something up here: Fishing Buddies/Open Boat Availablity List and let members around your area know your open to float.
And finally, kick off your shoes and enjoy yourself. Take a look around the site. Maybe find some Bonney Lake Reports and see who fishes that lake or lakes in your area. Hit them up, if you feel comfortable, and maybe try to get out in a boat with someone. Plenty of good ppl around here who will get you out.

As far as the bassn info......just keep reading all the forum posts that interest you, ask specific questions. Go through the archives, do a search on a subject. Tons of stuff to do.
One of the first things I did on the subject of bass fishing when I got to this state was read - Bruce's Bass'n Essentials

Glad your here man. And good luck tagging some fat bass this season. Keep us updated.

fishnislife
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Joe A
Angler

Post by Joe A » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:44 pm

Thanks Fishinislife...I apprechiate the info!! I am from Arkansas, but have lived in Portland OR for most of my life but I still remember how we used to catch bass on the Ouachita! When I moved to B. Lake I got the itch back...so here I am. I hope to meet up with some people on here and find some lunkers!

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:48 pm

Welcome to the site. :salut: You will find every thing about bass fishing right here. Read the fishing reports and blogs.[drool]
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

Nick_Barr
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Nick_Barr » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:29 pm

I have not been on the site in a awhile, but welcome to WA Bass Fishing.
Nick Barr's Bass Fishing Guide Service
www.NickBarrFishing.com
Silver Lake, Riffe Lake, American Lake, Lake Stielacoom, South Sound Lakes (Long, Hicks, Patterson, etc.)
Also available in E. WA: Potholes, Moses, Banks
$50 off American Lake/Lake Stielacoom Bass Trips through May to WALAKES.com Members!
INTERSTATE BATTERIES
Legend Bass Boats
Mercury Marine
Outdoor Emporium

bcalvert
Lieutenant

Post by bcalvert » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:33 am

Welcome to the site JoeA!

Nick, welcome back. I look forward to any insight you might be willing to give to us Bassers in the upcoming months.
Washington State Pond Jumperz
Washington's First Electric Only Bass Club
Hosting five open entry electric motor bass tournaments in 2012.

For the rich, there is therapy. For the rest of us, there is FISHING!

davidwat1
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by davidwat1 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:34 am

Joe A wrote:Hey guys...I am new to fishing for Bass in Washington. Right now I dont have a boat, live in Bonney Lake and fished docks on Lake Tapps all summer with one good catch (see profile pic). Any suggestions??? I am looking for a small boat now but may not be able to make it happen until next year, so if you have any good bank spots throw them my way!
Hi and welcome to the site Joe!
When I first moved out to washington state about 20 years ago, I didn't have a boat and spent tons of time driving all over the place trying to find anykind of good bank access for bass fishing. While I don't have experience with Tapps, I will say that in general, I think that access for non-boaters is extremely limited out here. I've heard that Seward Park on Lake Washington offers up good shore access, I think ChrisB has mentioned this in the past if I'm not mistaken, and Coulon Park in Renton offers up some good fishing from their docks and limited shoreline. By far though, I would recommend getting with some of the Float Tube guys on this site. They are just as passionate and knowledgable about their bass fishing as any of us with bassboats are. They have access to some great relatively unfished water, and I've seen them post pics of some real hawgs on this site! I think it's the Puget Sound Float Tube Club, but I'm sure some of there members who are on the site will gladly chime in. In the meantime, good luck, and this site is full of people who are always happy to help answer questions whenever possible. Tight Lines- Dave
http://www.WatkinsBassfishing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sponsor WashingtonLakes.com

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:56 am

Welcome Joe. As David pointed out, there is limited shore access, which I found out 20 years ago myself. I thought bank access was limited in So Cal...but here it's worse. I'd recommend the float tube as well. Myself, fishnislife, biskitsngrav, Aaron E and a few other guys tube all over. It's pretty inexpensive and lets you get out on the water. No water is too big or too small (tho Tapps gets real sketchy in the summer) and the fishing can be damn good from a tube. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Joe A
Angler

Post by Joe A » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:42 am

Thanks everyone...I have definately been looking into a float tube so any info on those would be great. But it would be good to find something in the 10 to 12 foot range that I can take another person out with as well as inexpensive. I'm keeping an eye on the classifieds...

spindog
Commander

Post by spindog » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:11 am

Joe A wrote:Thanks everyone...I have definately been looking into a float tube so any info on those would be great. But it would be good to find something in the 10 to 12 foot range that I can take another person out with as well as inexpensive. I'm keeping an eye on the classifieds...
Joe you mentioned a small boat, theres alot to be said for having an electric trolling motor and a small boat, like what
you said being able to take others along with you. Boats 10-12 feet are somewhere in the 300-400 range used, just
remember they go super fast this time of year, posted and gone in a day [my experience buying]. Welcome and good
luck!
Cast first, worry later.

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:43 am

If you have $500 you can get a good aluminum or fiberglass dingy or a float tube. I don't know what your truck situation is like, but there is always boats on craigslist for free to $500 in the 8-12FT range. If you have a truck, you could get a 10FT alum probably for around $100-200, and then an nice electric trolling motor for another $100-400 (new vs used). My brother and I hauled our alum boat around a TON before we ever got anything big enough to tow. caught a lot of ducks and fish in that boat.