Light or Heavy Line

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Trent Hale
Commander

Light or Heavy Line

Post by Trent Hale » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:55 pm

I know that some of you fish with light line for the fight. And others use heavy line to get the big ones in. I don't like brade"due to back lash"but braid will land all your fish. This week while fishing with a jig using 17# test a bass hit I set the hook and snap. It was a big fish 6-8 or bigger. I'm going to get some braid and try it one more time does any one know of any thing thats just as good. I like florocarbon Because fish cant see it. How well do the fish see braid or what color would you use. Or do I go with heavy floro like 20-25# test.
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

bob johansen
Commander

RE:Light or Heavy Line

Post by bob johansen » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:47 am

I didn't like braided line either until I started using Power Pro. So far, I just use it on spinning reels but am thinking about spooling up a Jig rod with 30 pound Power Pro. As far as the fish seeing it, they probably do but it doesn't seem to bother them. I have caught lots of bass including several big boys on it fishing very clear water. Those Long Lake lunkers that you are "Sore Mouthing" couldn't see any line anyway in that darkly stained water.
A nice bass is too valuable a resource to enjoy catching only once.

Fishing adds years to your life and life to your years - Homer Circle

Nik
Lieutenant

Post by Nik » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:53 am

for clear water pitching or lighter cover, I use 20 lb flouro. never have broke it off on a fish yet, but i've never landed an 8 lber on it either. If you're in stained or dirty water or thick cover, i don't worry about the bass seeing my line. 50 or 65 lb Power Pro braid is the way to go. Braid cuts through vegetation like a knife. the only thing you have to worry about is rocks and sharp timber, because they'll cut up your braid. another problem with braid is that when you catch a big fish or get hung, the pressure on the line makes it bite into itself on the reel and it will dead stop on you halfway through a pitch. just plan on pulling some line off your reel every 20 or so pitches. another option if you're planning on using a rod for pitching and flipping only is some big Trilene XT. that stuff is tough as nails and the big tests have very little stretch.

as far as your line breaking, and seeing some of your fish i'm sure you know this, but you probably had a tiny little nick somewhere on your line that you didn't notice, maybe you couldn't even see it but it was there, and that big bass broke it at the weak spot. probably a pretty rare occurrence for you with 17 lb i bet. sucks that it happened on a big fish though.

bpm3067
Petty Officer

Post by bpm3067 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:44 pm

I like Power Pro and Sufix Braid. I use the Power Pro in 10lb test a couple of my spinning reels and I have Sufix 50lb on my flipping stick and frog rod baitcasters. I agree with Bob in that the fish can most likely see it in clear water, but it hasn't seemed to make much of a difference. If I'm not going right into the thick stuff (i.e. the middle of the lily pads) , I'll use 17lb to 20lb flouro or Yuzuri Hybrid copolymer. The Yozuri is great line. Supple and less memory than mono, and tends to have a higher breaking point than the actual tested rating (I think I remember reading that the 12lb test has a breaking point of around 19lb). it's good stuff and it won't break the bank. I've never had a fish break off on either Yozuri or the BPS Flourocarbon that I use.

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:56 pm

Trent Hale wrote: using 17# test a bass hit I set the hook and snap.
Sounds more of a knot strength problem, if the fish didn't break off during the fight, but at the initial hook set. Some brands of line has issues for knot strength.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:27 pm

kzoo wrote:
Trent Hale wrote: using 17# test a bass hit I set the hook and snap.
Sounds more of a knot strength problem, if the fish didn't break off during the fight, but at the initial hook set. Some brands of line has issues for knot strength.
I check my line and give a hard pull from 2ft of line to the jig or worm I also use the loop around tie and wet it befor the tight sench.And melt the end with a lighter.To keep the line from sliping through the knot.
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:29 pm

Bob Johansen wrote:I didn't like braided line either until I started using Power Pro. So far, I just use it on spinning reels but am thinking about spooling up a Jig rod with 30 pound Power Pro. As far as the fish seeing it, they probably do but it doesn't seem to bother them. I have caught lots of bass including several big boys on it fishing very clear water. Those Long Lake lunkers that you are "Sore Mouthing" couldn't see any line anyway in that darkly stained water.
Bob dose the line sench up on your real on a big fish?
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:33 pm

bpm3067 wrote:I like Power Pro and Sufix Braid. I use the Power Pro in 10lb test a couple of my spinning reels and I have Sufix 50lb on my flipping stick and frog rod baitcasters. I agree with Bob in that the fish can most likely see it in clear water, but it hasn't seemed to make much of a difference. If I'm not going right into the thick stuff (i.e. the middle of the lily pads) , I'll use 17lb to 20lb flouro or Yuzuri Hybrid copolymer. The Yozuri is great line. Supple and less memory than mono, and tends to have a higher breaking point than the actual tested rating (I think I remember reading that the 12lb test has a breaking point of around 19lb). it's good stuff and it won't break the bank. I've never had a fish break off on either Yozuri or the BPS Flourocarbon that I use.
I'm more moving to the 30# flouro I think the sight thing is why I'm getting more fish than Marc.
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

bob johansen
Commander

Post by bob johansen » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:58 am

Trent Hale wrote:
Bob Johansen wrote:I didn't like braided line either until I started using Power Pro. So far, I just use it on spinning reels but am thinking about spooling up a Jig rod with 30 pound Power Pro. As far as the fish seeing it, they probably do but it doesn't seem to bother them. I have caught lots of bass including several big boys on it fishing very clear water. Those Long Lake lunkers that you are "Sore Mouthing" couldn't see any line anyway in that darkly stained water.
I did have that problem with Spider Wire but havn't had any problems with Power Pro. Of course, I try to set the reel drag so it has some give in it with big fish.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:39 am

Trent Hale wrote: This week while fishing with a jig using 17# test a bass hit I set the hook and snap. It was a big fish 6-8 or bigger. I'm going to get some braid and try it one more time does any one know of any thing thats just as good. I like florocarbon Because fish cant see it. How well do the fish see braid or what color would you use. Or do I go with heavy floro like 20-25# test.
Mono is like a rubberband compared to braid. If you can pop 17lb mono with a hookset, turn the hooksets down with braid....

Good luck, PP seems to be a real popular braid as others have mentioned....
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:54 am

Bob Johansen wrote:
Trent Hale wrote:
I did have that problem with Spider Wire but havn't had any problems with Power Pro. Of course, I try to set the reel drag so it has some give in it with big fish.
I will pick up some of that line and put it on one of the reals and some 30# flouro and put on another. Does the braid float?
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:08 am

I like using Braided line too,..hey Trent if your concerned about Backlash you might want to upgrade your reel to at least a 3 bearring or better,..I know these get exspensive but the more bearrings the less you'll have backlash,..also try adjusting your reel,..it would be an awful thing to hook the "Fish of a lifetime" and end up losing it because your line broke,...definately braided!!
"Passion-4-Bassin"

Nik
Lieutenant

Post by Nik » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:58 am

[/quote]I will pick up some of that line and put it on one of the reals and some 30# flouro and put on another. Does the braid float?[/quote]

Braid floats, which makes it sweet for frogging in the slop.

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:01 am

Nik wrote:
I will pick up some of that line and put it on one of the reals and some 30# flouro and put on another. Does the braid float?[/quote]

Braid floats, which makes it sweet for frogging in the slop.[/quote]Right on! I've used spider wire and didn't like it but I'm going to get some power pro.
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:03 am

brownbomber wrote:I like using Braided line too,..hey Trent if your concerned about Backlash you might want to upgrade your reel to at least a 3 bearring or better,..I know these get exspensive but the more bearrings the less you'll have backlash,..also try adjusting your reel,..it would be an awful thing to hook the "Fish of a lifetime" and end up losing it because your line broke,...definately braided!!
All my rods are good ones I might have one that has 3 bearings I let my buddys use it ha!
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

bob johansen
Commander

Post by bob johansen » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:14 pm

My son uses Power Pro for halibut fishing and has landed some big boys. He really likes the line.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:21 am

At the risk of being different from everyone here, I can't understand why anyone needs the heavy line you are using.

Sure, when I fish the heavy Milfoil, or other slop, I go with a 50# braid, and it works great. I like how the fine line cuts through a lot of the heavy weeds.

Most of the time I fish with 15# braid, mostly Power Pro, but I have some old Spider Wire that is pretty good. I don't like the newer Spider Wire at all, and I have a version of Cabelas with a mono strand woven in that I am still evaluating.

I seldom ever go with mono for Bass, and I just don't believe that Bass care about line - they simply are not line shy. Sure, Trout often are, Salmon, absolutely, but Bass, not once can I ever say that I was catching few bass on a braid and changed over to my mono and caught more fish. By the way, I still have a couple of the old Ambassador XLTs that allow a quick spool change. They are about worn out, but I can, and occasionally do, change from Mono to Braid, and back again.

I do like a heavy heavy diameter Mono if I am flipping roting wood. The line does not cut into the wood as bad, and allows for a better presentation. I do like Mono if I am trying to work a soft plastic Jerk; Mono sinks and Braids float, so the soft plastic jerk gets down better and suspends best on Mono - or better yet, Fluorocarbon.

To me, line size, and type, is all about a matter of using the right tool for the right job. You don't use a 14 oz finish hammer to frame with and you don't use a 26 oz waffle head framing hammer to do cabinet work. You don't use a Piper Cub airplane to drop bombs, and you don't use a B52 to crop dust.

Seems pretty simple to me, or am I just confused? BTW, I have not caught 10# Bass in Washington, but I have had the privilege to do that, and better, in other "Southern" States. I don't remember the last time a Bass "broke" me off, and I seem to be able to catch enough fish that my boat spare seat is always spoken for.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

big fish lite line
Commander

Post by big fish lite line » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:16 am

well said anglinarcher
hurdle the dead and trample the weak

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:37 am

[quote="Anglinarcher"]At the risk of being different from everyone here, I can't understand why anyone needs the heavy line you are using.

Sure, when I fish the heavy Milfoil, or other slop, I go with a 50# braid, and it works great. I like how the fine line cuts through a lot of the heavy weeds.

Most of the time I fish with 15# braid, mostly Power Pro, but I have some old Spider Wire that is pretty good. I don't like the newer Spider Wire at all, and I have a version of Cabelas with a mono strand woven in that I am still evaluating.

I seldom ever go with mono for Bass, and I just don't believe that Bass care about line - they simply are not line shy. Sure, Trout often are, Salmon, absolutely, but Bass, not once can I ever say that I was catching few bass on a braid and changed over to my mono and caught more fish. By the way, I still have a couple of the old Ambassador XLTs that allow a quick spool change. They are about worn out, but I can, and occasionally do, change from Mono to Braid, and back again.

I do like a heavy heavy diameter Mono if I am flipping roting wood. The line does not cut into the wood as bad, and allows for a better presentation. I do like Mono if I am trying to work a soft plastic Jerk] Are you fishing for LMB? I've had them break line from here to Florida or I'm just getting fish that have never been caught and there teeth are sharper. Now if your using Braid I can see that.
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

T Dot
Commander

Post by T Dot » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:51 pm

Trent Hale wrote: I know that some of you fish with light line for the fight. And others use heavy line to get the big ones in. I don't like brade"due to back lash"but braid will land all your fish. This week while fishing with a jig using 17# test a bass hit I set the hook and snap. It was a big fish 6-8 or bigger. I'm going to get some braid and try it one more time does any one know of any thing thats just as good. I like florocarbon Because fish cant see it. How well do the fish see braid or what color would you use. Or do I go with heavy floro like 20-25# test.
power pro 50+ on all my reels

the main reason why i use this line is for sure brute strength.

it has virtually no stretch, which is especially good for long casts. this quality is very helpful when i use big topwater. on long distance casts, i can drive the hooks home. with that amount of strength, i have the ability to turn the big fish around quickly. quickly is the key word here. you can turn fish around with all sorts of line strengths, but how quickly can you with smaller diameters. the fish is at home in the water, the longer they are there, they greater the chance of losing them.

proper knot selections is another factor in raising the number of fish landed. after switching to the polmar knot, i no longer experience knots slipping, or breaking off during hookset. i also leave alot of cut off now, as it was suggested to me. before i use to cut off really close to the lure, but what is the point really? i now leave atleast 1/2 - 1 inch after i cut off, so if there is a slight slip, which there can be, i still have a fighting chance.

there are a few cons when it comes to braid, but most if not all are preventable, as in most cases it is user error. you already mentioned one. if you do get a backlash its brutal, and using heavier lures, you can break off during a cast. it has already happened once, and ive already learned my lesson. use your brakes and spool tension wisely, pay attention to those stray lines as your lure goes off during a cast and you will reduce the number of problems. my thumb is rarely far away from the spool.

braid is more susceptible to abrasions, so you must retire more often. the slightest nick in the line cant cause it to fail. line color will eventually fade, but it returns to a darker color once wet... and there is nothing a marker cant fix if you are that picky.

the pros definately out weight the cons in my book. based on my experience before and after braid, and going on my hookup ratio and fish landed, i will not go back.
.: Half Man Half Amazing :.

WTB:
- SHIMANO Curado 201 HDSV
- SHIMANO Curado 301 DSV