Umpqua River smallies?

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
AaronE
Commander

Umpqua River smallies?

Post by AaronE » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:42 am

While waiting at the doctor's office yesterday I was flipping through a magazine that mentioned the Umpqua River in Oregon. The photos were spectacular and it looks like an amazing slow-moving river, perfect for a float tube or drift boat. Did a little research and found that the Umpqua is one of the best smallmouth fisheries in the PNW.

Now I'm jonesing for a road trip. I might have to get the tent out and start looking for some camping options.

Anyone here have any experience fishing the Umpqua for smallies?
Puget Sound Float Tube Club
http://www.psftc.com
=====================
2010 Bass: 2
2009 Bass: 80
Year's Best: 2# 3oz
WA Best: 6# 4oz
PB: 12# 7oz (GA)

Volk
Petty Officer

RE:Umpqua River smallies?

Post by Volk » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:08 am

no, but i watched an episode of hawg quest with them fishing that river. it did look really fun with lots of action. google big k ranch on the upqua and there is some info on there about the smallie fishing. i think they avg 50 fish a day with highs of 100. plus there are salmon, steelhead and other fish to catch depending on the season there.

AaronE
Commander

Post by AaronE » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:14 am

Yeah, I found the Big K website last night while researching it. As much as I would love to catch 100 fish a day, I can't see paying $350 for the privilege. Tarpon, sure. SMB, nah, I can do pretty decent by myself hehe.

It looks like a gorgeous river, though. Lots of big fish getting pulled out of there and plenty of different species to keep you busy all year long.
=====================

WCCT
Lieutenant

Post by WCCT » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:03 pm

I haven't fished the Umpqua River, but I had the pleasure of driving along it on my way to Tenmile Lakes for a tournament a couple of months ago. The river looks amazing. The scenery along it is second to none. I am going to go back down there next year, and plan on spending some time on this river before I go to Tenmile.
PowerTeam Lures Pro Staff
[http://www.powerteamlures.com/?Click=2818]

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:18 pm

It's a fantastic fishery if you like to catch 100 or more bass in a day.

AaronE
Commander

Post by AaronE » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:25 pm

cavdad45 wrote:It's a fantastic fishery if you like to catch 100 or more bass in a day.
Only if someone twists my arm.

:cheers:
=====================

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:29 pm

My wife usually drops me and my fishing partner at the county park and drives the truck downstream to the takeout spot where her car is parked. Then we drift all day and avoid Hannah's high rates and do just as good as with a guide.

Mossy
Lieutenant

Post by Mossy » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:09 pm

I used to fish it quite a bit about 40 minutes outside of Coos Bay, just from the bank though. Can't keep the smallies off, cranks, spinners,tubes and believe it or not, on zara puppies. Like WCCT said, ten mile lake is a pretty good bass lake, it's actually two lakes which are connected by a canal. If I remember correctly it's only about 20-30 minutes away from a campground on the umpqua.