Decent beginner's baitcaster?

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Juniah87
Warrant Officer

Decent beginner's baitcaster?

Post by Juniah87 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:15 am

So I've been wanting to learn how to use a baitcaster reel recently, but suddenly changed my mind once I saw the prices. Just curious on what I should be expected to spend on a baitcaster reel and rod combo. I'm used to going to wal-mart and buying a rod and reel spinning combo for under 20 dollars, so you can imagine my sticker-shock when the cheapest baitcasting reel alone I could find was over 40 dollars. I saw some on e-bay for 20 or so, but they looked like they were made in china out of cheap plastic. Wondering what a good starting point would be for a beginner's baitcaster set-up.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Decent beginner's baitcaster?

Post by Amx » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:40 am

Yup, ya gotta pay for the best. I'd say $100 or so for a good one. My $100 dollar casting reels are so much better than the $40 reels in the past. I recently bought a $60 level wind reel and have yet to put line on it, but it's been highly recommended.
Tom.

Interests: living

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:56 pm

A LOT of people will ask "What technique will you be using the reel for?" as it does depend on that as to what gear ratio would be best. Some people like fast ratio for worms, jigs, top water, and slow for crankbait. Buy one in the 6 to 7 ratio and it'll be fine for everything until you get good at it, and can specialize with the speed choices.

A low profile reel is easier to hold and thumb the spool both during the cast, and to apply pressure for a little more drag effect.

I think all brands are great and it would just be a preferance, but you can't develope a preference until you try more than one brand, and more than one modele with-in that brand. So I guess you just have to buy one and take your chances.

I think what would be best is to go to a store that knows what they are doing, hold a few reels attached to rods, and try them for holding feel, and casting feel without line on it.

Try both right hand and left hand reels to see which is easier to cast and wind, and such. I cast with my right hand, and reel with my left hand, that way I don't have to switch the rod to the other hand after casting, which is a waste of time and effort.

If you lived up by Pacific/Auburn I'd say to go into Limit Out Performance Marine and test some reels, they are bass fishermen. If you want to go there anyway, it would be beneficial. They have Shimano and Diawa reels there. I don't know if they have other brands.
Tom.

SalmonAddict
Warrant Officer

Post by SalmonAddict » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:59 pm

i'd second that you would probably get the best bang for the buck if your market is around $100.
when i first started, i started off with a curado. got it used for $90. still rocking it til this day...

Juniah87
Warrant Officer

Post by Juniah87 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:06 pm

Thanks Amx. I think the Dick's Sporting goods at the Silverdale mall had their baitcasters hooked up to display rods to test out feel. I was thinking a 7 to 1 ratio looked good form the research I've been doing online. Auburn is a ways from me, I'd have to either drive around on the tacoma narrows or pay for 2 ferry tickets to get there, quite spendy. When I am finally able to afford a decent boat or qualify for a boat loan I'll swing by there and see if I can talk them into throwing a couple baitcasters in with the deal [laugh]

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:15 pm

Cabela's has some nice combo's that are reasonable. They have (or used to...) have rebranded Diawa reels that work well enough I picked up a couple spares. I have one of the cheap Chinese reels on the way to try. When you are learning make sure to set up the reel for the weight you are using. Also, stretch out 75' or so of line and wrap the spool with electrical tape. Cast within that until you can control the cast enough to hit a bucket or there abouts.
You will want to watch these vids on how to get out a backlash (birds nest) as it WILL happen more than you want...

Braid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgJThgKpZ6s

Mono https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK5UfRzLbR8

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:22 pm

With the newer Quantum reels I bought a few years ago I have LOTS fewer 'professional overruns' than I did with my cheaper reels I bought back in the '70s and '80s for $40. The Quantums were on sale for $60 for one, and $99 each for 2 of them that I bought later.
Tom.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:31 pm

I just put line on the new $60 reel, it's on the rod, and in the boat. Next time I go fishing I'll try it with a jerkbait, and maybe a crankbait. I'll let you know what I think of the reel.
Tom.

253Caster
Warrant Officer

Post by 253Caster » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:37 pm

Get yourself a Blackmax by Abu Garcia. I started with a few of the original ones and I must say for the price they are very hard to beat. I think they run about 50. Im sure there are others that compare, but its worth a try!

Juniah87
Warrant Officer

Post by Juniah87 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:52 pm

Thanks for the input fellas, much appreciated!

I saw an abu Garcia for 49.99 at wallyworld will have to see if it was the same model [thumbsup]

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:02 am

Black Max's cast pretty well and I think they're right at $40 new, I taught my cousin on the one I use for trolling plugs for trout. If you're willing to buy used the best bang for your buck might be a curado b series off eBay. I see them under $50 pretty regularly and those green reels are tanks.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:14 am

253Caster wrote:Get yourself a Blackmax by Abu Garcia. I started with a few of the original ones and I must say for the price they are very hard to beat. I think they run about 50. Im sure there are others that compare, but its worth a try!
I have to second that. Before I knew a thing about baitcasting reels, I went and picked up one of those combos from Cabelas in Langley. It is a great (cheaper, but capable) reel to learn on, it'll only take you a few outings to get the hang of it. Braid can be a little easier to cast, but I would NOT learn on braid because the rats nests you get will be 10x worse due to the micro sized knots it makes. I still bring the rod/reel combo with me when I go out too.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:08 pm

Well, my new reel works fine to great. Once I got the first backlash undone it worked fine. Then I tightened up the spool and it worked finer. Then after I turned the brakes all the way full, instead of half way, it worked great. No fish on the jerkbait, but did get 3 on the senko. SLOW bite still, but the fish fought great. All 3 Largies.

The reel is a KastMaster Stealth. I got if off Amazon. My understanding is that it's a left hand reel only. If you want a right hand reel you'll have to get another model. I'll play with it more next time out.

This is the video where I learned about the reel, so watch it and see if you want one, or a different KastKing reel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvoffZNhwUk
Tom.

8theB8
Warrant Officer

Post by 8theB8 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:29 pm

Bass Pro sells one called the Pro Qualifier that his highly rated for the money. I bought about a dozen a few years back when they were on sale for $79.99 and was very pleased with their performance for the dollar. I used them a lot with rookie baitcaster users as you can set the brakes, side adjuster and tension knob to make them close to backlash free. I have three 6.4:1 ratios (which is pretty much the mid range as far as retrieve speed goes) and one 4.7:1 I used for crawling worms around. I would be happy to send you a couple to mess around with if you like? I upgraded 15 reels to Shimano's at Christmas time and have these four just laying on my bench. I keep 20 different rigs on my boat currently so no worries of needing them.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-P ... ct/161658/

I know guys do it but I personally don't like to run anything under 12lb test on a baitcaster, MAYBE 10lb but at that point I'm usually just switching to spinning gear.

Let me know.

Juniah87
Warrant Officer

Post by Juniah87 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:23 pm

8theB8 wrote:Bass Pro sells one called the Pro Qualifier that his highly rated for the money. I bought about a dozen a few years back when they were on sale for $79.99 and was very pleased with their performance for the dollar. I used them a lot with rookie baitcaster users as you can set the brakes, side adjuster and tension knob to make them close to backlash free. I have three 6.4:1 ratios (which is pretty much the mid range as far as retrieve speed goes) and one 4.7:1 I used for crawling worms around. I would be happy to send you a couple to mess around with if you like? I upgraded 15 reels to Shimano's at Christmas time and have these four just laying on my bench. I keep 20 different rigs on my boat currently so no worries of needing them.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-P ... ct/161658/

I know guys do it but I personally don't like to run anything under 12lb test on a baitcaster, MAYBE 10lb but at that point I'm usually just switching to spinning gear.

Let me know.
That is extremely kind of you to offer, 8theB8! I may take you up on that soon! Are you going to make it to the Chelan BBQ by any chance? If so I will be as well, and could save money on shipping. I don't need any reels right away, as all I currently have are spincasting combos and I'm not sure they would work with them. Give me a week or two to see if I can get my hands on a decent medium action baitcasting rod? And I don't want your generosity to cost you anything, so I would want to mail out a check to cover shipping too. I'll be in contact via PM's once I figure the rod situation out. Thanks again, you are awesome! :cheers:

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:53 am

I have always used casting reels on spincast stuff if I want or need to. While I have casting rods as well I am not shy about doing it the other way. If I was stressing my rods to the max I might me more concerned about 'spine' but I don't. I check and make sure the line doesn't hit the pole but even then I will use it if the contact is light.
Sending you a PM also.

Juniah87
Warrant Officer

Post by Juniah87 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:26 am

TrackerPro16 wrote:I have always used casting reels on spincast stuff if I want or need to. While I have casting rods as well I am not shy about doing it the other way. If I was stressing my rods to the max I might me more concerned about 'spine' but I don't. I check and make sure the line doesn't hit the pole but even then I will use it if the contact is light.
Sending you a PM also.
Thanks for the PM, Tracker. I didn't mention my spincasting rods are ultralights, I'm already very wary to use them for bass because of their action, I haven't caught anything good sized yet, but I just know when I do it's going to snap that poor little pole in half [laugh] If it was a medium action I wouldn't worry so much, but couple the ultralight action with the $15 cost of the combo and that's a disaster waiting to happen [laugh]

Reminds me of a time I was fishing at Silver Lake in Cowlitz County when I was 13 or 14 years old. I had one of the cheapo spincaster combos from Walmart, but this one had one of those "quick-cast" triggers on it. Another ultralight, and we were jigging for crappie. I used that quick-cast trigger to throw my jig out to a patch of lilly pads, and my line wrapped around the trigger a couple times, and this EXPLOSION of a strike hit that jig and immidiately snapped the line and broke the rodtip. half a second later a 6 or 8 pound bass broke the water with a bright little crappie jig stuck to the roof of it's mouth like peanutbutter [cursing] 2 things I'll never do again, buy a spinning rod with a quick cast trigger, or fish trophy bass lakes with an ultralight :tongue:

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:13 am

I use spinning, not spincast, rods and reels for almost everything, and I mean 'everything'. The 'quick cast trigger', called Quickfire II, on my Shimano reels work great. I've caught 10lb Bass on them right here in Wa. State. The trick is to use the proper line test for the CONDITIONS, and the proper rod for the LINE STRENGTH AND CONDITIONS. It's one thing to take a chance and TRY with an ultralite, but when fishing pads that's certainly not the best for success. The other thing to keep in mind for the best line control, is to close the bail with the non-casting hand/fingers, while feathering the line as needed to hit the target, keeps the line twist out better, and you can be ready to do that as the line is flowing out, and just as the lure hits the water you can close the bail, and then pick up the rod tip a little to stretch out the line and get the loop off/out of the reel/spool. Makes for very few rats nests on the spool. And no I've never used a 'spincast' reel and rod. I have been using casting/level wind since high school, but my choice is the spinning outfits.
Tom.

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:36 am

A couple bits of advice for learning how to throw with a baitcaster. Try to use a fast action rod if possible. Loose rods like ugly stiks or whoopin sticks can cause a few extra backlashes while ya learn. Also tighter your spool tension knob and max any baking system your reel has. As you you get comfortable with casting keep backing it off til you're hitting the distance you want with minimal birdnests. Also get a spool of cheap line like berkely big game. You might burn through a bit of line learning. My buddy used up about 600 yards trying to teach his thumb lol.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

8theB8
Warrant Officer

Post by 8theB8 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:00 am

I quit buying spinning reels with a bail trigger as they are designed to reset to a specific point in line with the rod handle to allow quick access to the trigger for the next cast. Problem I found was on the hookset, especially on a larger fish, the trigger would SLAM back to that position and eventually detonate. I have 3 or 4 of those in a drawer still for some reason? I think I poached the double handles off of them for other reels or something years ago?

Once I went baitcasters I didn't look back! The right tool for the job and way easier to cast fluorocarbon line, especially the heavier floro! I blew out a shoulder throwing 20lb floro on spinning gear when I first started fishing swimbaits and that was that. Baitcasters to me are far more accurate and controllable, I still love my spinning gear as that's what I was raised on but give me a baitcaster if you only give me ONE reel.

B8