Decent beginner's baitcaster?

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
8theB8
Warrant Officer

Re: Decent beginner's baitcaster?

Post by 8theB8 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:07 am

Juniah87 wrote:
8theB8 wrote:Bass Pro sells one called the Pro Qualifier that his highly rated for the money. I bought about a dozen a few years back when they were on sale for $79.99 and was very pleased with their performance for the dollar. I used them a lot with rookie baitcaster users as you can set the brakes, side adjuster and tension knob to make them close to backlash free. I have three 6.4:1 ratios (which is pretty much the mid range as far as retrieve speed goes) and one 4.7:1 I used for crawling worms around. I would be happy to send you a couple to mess around with if you like? I upgraded 15 reels to Shimano's at Christmas time and have these four just laying on my bench. I keep 20 different rigs on my boat currently so no worries of needing them.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-P ... ct/161658/

I know guys do it but I personally don't like to run anything under 12lb test on a baitcaster, MAYBE 10lb but at that point I'm usually just switching to spinning gear.

Let me know.
That is extremely kind of you to offer, 8theB8! I may take you up on that soon! Are you going to make it to the Chelan BBQ by any chance? If so I will be as well, and could save money on shipping. I don't need any reels right away, as all I currently have are spincasting combos and I'm not sure they would work with them. Give me a week or two to see if I can get my hands on a decent medium action baitcasting rod? And I don't want your generosity to cost you anything, so I would want to mail out a check to cover shipping too. I'll be in contact via PM's once I figure the rod situation out. Thanks again, you are awesome! :cheers:
Doubt I will make the BBQ. I have a couple IM6 BPS rods too. I'm not worried about shipping. If you get over to the Everett area any time let me know, I am always running through there for work and could just do a hand off some day. Your call.

B8

pcallejo
Petty Officer

Post by pcallejo » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:10 am

I picked up a bass pro tourney special several seasons back to use as a spare set up to keep in the car. It was like 80 bucks, and go figure, it turned out being one of my fave set ups. Its a 6'6 med/heavy fast action rod that acts like a medium moderate action. Or somewhere in between. The reel is a 6.6:1 and after several spools, figured out that 12lb berkley trilene xt is the line that worked the best with it. Once that was all dialed in, it has been awesome throwing with it. It doesn't cast super far, but accuracy is good and the rod is versatile enough to pitch/flip with or bomb a crank. 1/4-3/4oz lures are its g-spot.

Another set up is the abu silver max combo. 80 dollars as well. My first "cranking" set up, at least turned out to be. Found it at a big5 sporting goods. 6'8 rod claims to be a med/heavy fast, but in my opinion it is a medium fast with a parobolic bend. The reel is a 6.4:1 paired with 12lb berkley 100% flouro. Its on its 3rd season. And has turned into my spinner/buzz/chatter set up. Gears are a little slow, but it works for me.
I bass fish year round and these set ups have taken a beating and for 160 bucks I've definitely gotten my money's worth. Just remember to maintain your gear and they'll go a long way.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:14 am

Yes, I've noticed that trigger reels and the slamming back to their stop/centering spot, but I haven't broken any, bent the stop on one when the frog got stuck on a piling. Non have blown up. I can cast farther, and much more accurate with a spinning reel. I have also been getting a few instant anti-refers spinning reels the past year. And upgrading my level winds lately, 5 new level winds in the past 2 years. Just ordered a 9:1 the other day, it's to arrive tomorrow, haven't decided what lure/technique to use it for yet. [laugh]
Tom.

Interests: living

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:19 am

Back in the '90s at a tourney I was fishing with a guy in my boat. I was in the bow and set the hook on a 3 lbder using a worm. It rocked the boat and the guy was surprized, said he almost fell out of the boat. He also said that he didn't have much respect for spinning and Bass fishing, but that he'd have to rethink that with a hookset like that. And yes the fish came right up out of the limbs and bushes around the beaver hut, and into the boat.
Tom.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:20 am

And yes, I use to use 20 lb mono on my buzzbait and frog rods, but now I use 50lb braid. MUCH better, both in accuracy, and distance. Not to mention the hook set at a distance.
Tom.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:04 pm

I'm not a fan of anything in life that comes as a combo package, whether it is rods combo/with reel, or combo stereo gear rack systems. Usually when you get a combo package, it means that you have an overall cheap price, because the components within the combo are cheap components. Look how many combo rod/reels they sell at places like Fred Meyer, Walmart, etc.
Also, things like fishing reels, (especially baitcasters) there is SUCH a great used market. So many guys swap out reels like changing their socks. One Spring it is the fancy so and so reel.. then suddenly they throw it on Craigslist, and switch to something else.

sbasser
Petty Officer

Post by sbasser » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:27 pm

Long ago, I decided that any good baitcaster HAS to have a metal frame, none of that "graphite" stuff. It's not stiff enough, IMO.

I'd suggest checking pawn shops near the military bases. Lots of military guys sell everything they can so they don't have to ship or carry it. If it looks like it's been well cared for, or looks new, buy it. C&R, Steve

sbasser
Petty Officer

Post by sbasser » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:31 pm

Oh, yeah...they'll give you a good price break if you buy more than one item, and pay cash....mention "cash money" when you make an offer.

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:20 am

I am going to throw out there:
When I decided to use a baitcaster and watched some video's I never understood why you would want to 'switch hands'. I am right handed and have all left handed baitcasting reels (7?) so I cast with the right and reel with the left. No switching hands. Same with spinning (obviously) reels. While I have read some arguments on the subject it never made good sense to me to switch hands.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:21 am

There is no good sense in switching hands. Both my spinning and casting reels are left hand wind, even my flippin sticks' reels, no switching hands. But some people just can't do it. They said that they have tried winding with their left hand, but just can't, even their spinning reels have the handle on the right and they switch hands to cast and then reel in the line. And these are professional bass fishing people.
Tom.

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:34 am

I switch hands. When I started fishing a baitcaster as a kid left hand retrieves were hard to find locally and a bit too pricey. It just kinda stuck over the years and while I can use a lefty now, it just doesn't feel right lol. It doesn't affect my casting or presentation none so I stick to switching hands.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

sbasser
Petty Officer

Post by sbasser » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:45 pm

Well, I use both LH & RH crank baitcasters. I've never been accused of being well coordinated or ambidextrous, and yet I don't find it that difficult. When I make the switch, it takes about 3 casts with a bit of concentration, and after that, I'm on automatic. Not a big deal, IMO.

For some "presentations", I like a LH reel...crankbait, spinnerbait, buzzbait, and pitching. For some others, I prefer a RH crank and switching hands, because I can then cup the reel and pull the line through my index finger/thumb, and feel the bite better. This also gives you much better leverage for the hookset. Back when I used to flip, I started out with a LH crank, but found that I got the line tangled in the reel handle about 10% of the time, so I changed to a RH crank for flipping and it worked better for me.

All that aside, if somebody put a LH and a RH 7:1 baitcaster in front of me and said I could have either, I'd take the LH. Better for most of the stuff I prefer to do with a baitcaster. But I have been thinking about dragging out the "Carolina Rig" and offering that to the fish again. Haven't done that since 2001. Might need to put new line on, huh?
:fish: Steve

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:50 pm

2001? Na, should be good. [biggrin]

I put the Carolina rig rod in the boat yesterday, but didn't use it. My lizards, and worms have already been in the boat this year.

I've thought about putting a right hand wind reel on my flippin sticks, but haven't yet. Yes the line will wrap around the handles of the left hand reel now and then, but I'll put up with that for awhile more. I have flippin reels on the rods, and they don't seem to make those anymore. They have a switch to go from normal casting to flippin.
Tom.

dutchman2858
Commander

Post by dutchman2858 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:51 pm

Amx wrote:Well, my new reel works fine to great. Once I got the first backlash undone it worked fine. Then I tightened up the spool and it worked finer. Then after I turned the brakes all the way full, instead of half way, it worked great. No fish on the jerkbait, but did get 3 on the senko. SLOW bite still, but the fish fought great. All 3 Largies.

The reel is a KastMaster Stealth. I got if off Amazon. My understanding is that it's a left hand reel only. If you want a right hand reel you'll have to get another model. I'll play with it more next time out.

This is the video where I learned about the reel, so watch it and see if you want one, or a different KastKing reel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvoffZNhwUk
Tom: You referring to the "KastKing" Stealth? I've got the Royale Legend and am really impressed with the KastKings so far. I started with the BlackMax and have been very happy with it on my crank rod. Our Walmart has the BlackMax for $39.99.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:09 pm

Yup, the Stealth. I've also reset the internal brake setting, 2 pins in, 2 pins out, and loosened up the spool tension a little, and put the brakes back to midway, casts fine. I recently bought the 9.3 to 1 ratio Kast King Speed Demon. Have a jig on it right now, but have been thinking of trying a buzzbait. [woot]
Tom.

vvstevens
Angler

Post by vvstevens » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:15 pm

The Kastking products are fantastic. I got an Assassin/Perigee II baitcasters, and a Sharky III with Perigee Spin. I'm so happy to be able to afford a *great* rod and reel. Several, in fact.

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:39 pm

Raised from the dead! :cheers:

DavidA
Lieutenant

Post by DavidA » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:02 pm

I wanted to try a baitcaster myself so last year bought an Abu Garcia Black Max, after doing a little research. I've been very happy with it , for what that's worth.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:04 pm

ive a quantum PTi tour edition baitcaster if you want it for 40 bucks. I use to use it for trolling then I switched to line counter reels. its in brill condition.