Senko video

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
meandermeadows
Petty Officer

Senko video

Post by meandermeadows » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:52 pm

I like this video. The host has a camera set up in a swimming pool which illustrates how the worm works under water. This type of video is very helpful to me. Seeing is believing.

I have yet to catch fish on Senkos, despite how well everyone endorses them. After watching this, I believe that my problem has been a lack of patience and trying to work them too quickly. Any feedback will be much appreciated!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD4C5sqdcuw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fisken Morder!!!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Senko video

Post by Amx » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:02 pm

Give the senko PLENTY of time to sink to the bottom, they can sink slowly at times, depending on the water temp, and suspended particulants in the water. Reel in the slack, and then let the senko, or any plastic worm/crayfish/tube, sit there for a few seconds, say 5, then twitch it, let it sit for 10 seconds, then twitch it, then let it sit for 20 seconds. After a few casts, and hopefully some fish bites, you'll figure out how long it needs to sit as a fish looks it over, then decides to pick it up, then you can set the hook.

Then the other casts you make you'll let the senko sit for that amount of time right away. Say a fish picks it up after 15 seconds, then each cast after that you'll know to let it sit for at least 15 seconds, even more lots of times.

When you twitch it, or drag the senko, then limit the distance to about 1 foot, or maybe 2 feet and let it sit for another 10 seconds, to 20 seconds.
Tom.

Interests: living

meandermeadows
Petty Officer

Post by meandermeadows » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:05 pm

Gotcha. So, as with everything else, there is no set rule...you tinker around and get the feel of what is working today, in this water, and go from there.

You mentioned water temp. I am guessing that on a cold day the worm will sink faster, since there will be less natural convection in the water?
Fisken Morder!!!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:15 pm

Something like that. I figure the worm sinks slower in cold water because the water is a little denser because of the cold.
Tom.

meandermeadows
Petty Officer

Post by meandermeadows » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:20 pm

Oh, I see, that makes sense.
Fisken Morder!!!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:37 pm

You can also use a nail weighted senko.

Wacky rig the worm on the hook, and insert the nail weight in one end. Gets the senko to the bottom quicker, and you can feel the worm better on a windy day. It can get the senko to stand up on the bottom.
Tom.

meandermeadows
Petty Officer

Post by meandermeadows » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:23 pm

Wow, that's a great idea! I'm gonna try that too!
Fisken Morder!!!