High Vis braid??

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

High Vis braid??

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:49 pm

Recently picked up a Quantum Smoke 151 baitcaster, from another forum member here. It came spooled with high vis. Braid. A bright yellow color.
I am going to get back to learning baitcasting reels. My intentions are bassing, but wondering do you bass peeps use high vis line in any situations? Of course I would run a fluoro leader off it, but I am thinking no-go on the yellow, and going with my usual Power Pro green braid.
That yellow is more for some river applications, right?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: High Vis braid??

Post by Amx » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:51 pm

I use yellow braid for the senko. seems like I use it for something else, but I forget. Maybe a jig so you can see the subtle pick ups.
Tom.

Interests: living

meandermeadows
Petty Officer

Post by meandermeadows » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:31 pm

Can you please elaborate on this Tom? Does the high vis give you an advantage with the senko, as far as the fish seeing it early on the drop? I have been using a blue/gray braid, and I have yet to catch a fish on senkos. I must be doing something wrong. I have tried them with the wacky and Texas setup
Fisken Morder!!!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:46 pm

You can see the hi vis easier, therefor you can see the little bitty twitch better that a fish can impart to the line. Mono and floro can be much harder to see that little twitch. I use 10lb braid on the senko, I also use 10lb floro for a leader of about 6 feet, some people use a leader of 15 feet, but I have no problems getting bites with the 6 ft leader. You can also color the final 10 to 15 feet of the braid black using a magic marker. Makes it harder for the fish to see the yellow braid, or even green braid.
Tom.

meandermeadows
Petty Officer

Post by meandermeadows » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:58 pm

Aha! So maybe this has been my problem! I haven't been using a leader, just tying the hook right onto the braid.

When you put on a leader, do you just use a simple snap swivel?

Thanks for your help Tom, I always learn a lot from you :)
Fisken Morder!!!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:08 pm

I use a double uni knot.

see here for knots and how to tie them;

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/jansik-special" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishi ... crollPoint" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.orvis.com/orvis_assets/files/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and I have to learn how to tie the J knot;

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/j-knot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/jansik-special" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

youtube for double uni knot

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/pl ... ge=0&&tt=b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:21 pm

Also in the vid you posted, the senko actually sinks kinda fast, I'd say he's using floro. With braid it'll sink quite a bit slower as the braid floats and it takes a bit for the senko to drag the braid under water. back to the vid...
Tom.

meandermeadows
Petty Officer

Post by meandermeadows » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:22 pm

Wow, cool, thanks for the links! Now I have homework ;)
Fisken Morder!!!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:36 pm

We are all learnin, ALL of us. lol

You can also use a nail weighted senko.

Wacky rig the worm on the hook, and insert the nail weight in one end. Gets the senko to the bottom quicker, and you can feel the worm better on a windy day. It can get the senko to stand up on the bottom.
Tom.

dwh4784
Petty Officer

Post by dwh4784 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:40 am

The uni-uni works great, I've been using it for the first time this year and it hasn't slipped once. I fished tying direct to braid for years and caught fish, but I like the benefits of a less visible line near the bait (unless frog/rat fishing then I tie direct). Also an added benefit of using a leader is you don't lose any mainline on a break off.

I also always use a polymar to tie on my senko hooks, it's the easiest knot to tie for me and plenty strong. Keep in mind you can use anything from a 3/0 to a 5/0 size hook to adjust the rate of fall as well, even smaller with a wacky rig but I've never tried it. I use a 5/0 unweighted t-rig for the 5" Senko.

meandermeadows
Petty Officer

Post by meandermeadows » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:39 pm

Good thoughts, thank you!

I now have some good direction for my adventure on Lake Sawyer Saturday :)
Fisken Morder!!!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:07 pm

I use a #1, 1/0, or mostly a 2/0, extra wide gap hook. I also mostly use a 4" senko.
Tom.

meandermeadows
Petty Officer

Post by meandermeadows » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:21 pm

What is the thought behind the different sized senkos? I have some 4" and 5", and I recently found a great deal on some long 10" worms with little tails on them.

BTW, I sent you another PM Tom. Sorry it took so long...the night shift got the best of me and I fell asleep as soon as I got home this morning.
Fisken Morder!!!

dwh4784
Petty Officer

Post by dwh4784 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:40 pm

I grew up fishing Slug-go's, and the 5" Senko is close to the size I'm familiar with. It casts great, and I catch a lot of dinks already with a 5" so I don't have any reason to downsize. I do think a 4" would be dynamite for smallmouth on spinning tackle, in fact I have some of that stuff in the box just haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:44 am

Yup, I catch lots of Smallies on 4" senkos.

Sometimes the fish just don't want anything big, so a 4" and even a 3" can be the productive size. Same idea of using a 1/4 or 3/8 oz jig instead of the standard 1/2 oz jig, they just want something smaller, depending on the size of the prey in the area, and because the Bass may not be very hungry at that time.
Tom.

meandermeadows
Petty Officer

Post by meandermeadows » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:34 am

Okay, that makes sense. I have been thinking the other direction, that if you go with bigger baits, bigger Jitterbugs or whatever, then a bigger fish will hit it. I guess I need to start thinking more like what the lake has to offer
Fisken Morder!!!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:02 am

Yup, bass will eat any size lure;
Attachments
Baby Largemouth on Baby Spook.jpg
baby Largemouth with Senko cropped.jpg
Tom.

dwh4784
Petty Officer

Post by dwh4784 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:20 am

That's funny, this guy was brave as well!

On the other hand the biggest bass I've ever caught was on a single orange poweregg on a #12 hook on my ultralight trout setup. That was an experience to say the least. It was 4lb 13oz, need a better PB but that one was memorable!

Yeah, thinking differently about your offering can help. Since I'm kayak fishing this year I've really changed my tactics. With my dad in the bass boat we would blow through spots, always eager to keep moving. Now I'll pick out a good looking spot, hit it from a couple different angles, paddle into the shore and fish parallel to the bank, pick out specific holes in the weeds, etc.
Attachments
0609161111a.jpg

meandermeadows
Petty Officer

Post by meandermeadows » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:19 pm

I hadn't caught any fish on senkos going into today. I learned that I should use a clear leader or use mono/fluoro. I switched rods and ran it on my fluoro reel and hooked into 3 fish, including my personal best...1.69 lbs. Nothing huge but a great fight, and I came home with a lot more confidence in fishing with the worm :)
Fisken Morder!!!

dwh4784
Petty Officer

Post by dwh4784 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:29 pm

AMX, got my PB smallmouth on a 4" Senko with a 2/0 hook today. Wee that was fun. My spinning rods are both spooled up with 6lb line so had to loosen the drag and let it run a few times. Under the kayak, jumps, stripping line, nothing quite like it!