Duck Lake - Friday Harbor

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
tbrinks
Petty Officer

Duck Lake - Friday Harbor

Post by tbrinks » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:16 am

Anyone ever fish this lake for bass? The WDFW site says bass are in there but it is poor fishing for bass.

I have never even heard of it until I saw it on the Navionics list of new lakes added. They added a few others in the last few months, but they were trout only from what I can tell.

Here is what it looks like with the new mapping. It looks like some cool contours and tons of islands to fish.

Before

After with SonarChart
Spokane, WA
Navionics Sponsored
http://www.tbrinksfishing.com

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Duck Lake - Friday Harbor

Post by Amx » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:39 am

In the '90s it was great, BIG fish and all.

They poisoned it in the mid - late '90s.

Sucked for years.

I have no idea how it is now.
Tom.

Interests: living

arniejl
Warrant Officer

Post by arniejl » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:55 am

Duck Lake used to be an awesome lake for huge largemouth. We had the Region 6 warm water biologist attend one of our club meetings last summer and he said a few things about it. I cannot make direct quotes but I can tell you the gist of what he said. He said, Duck Lake used to have huge bass in it. People used to fly in to fish it from other parts of the country. The homeowners asked for a permit to put grass carp into the lake and were granted the permit. They put too many in there, I think he said 400 of them. They cleared the lake of, virtually, all vegetation. He said something like once all the vegetation is gone, the nutrients that have collected on the bottom then start to rise back up. He said that the homeowners now have a big green swimming pool. He said there is not much there anymore other than some stunted yellow perch. He said that there may be a few largemouth around but very few. He said he had talked to people that used to fish it and they almost had tears in their eyes because the lake was ruined.

Take this for what it is worth. I heard him say this stuff but, I also have a friend that has property on the lake and he said the lake, at least out front of his property, is still full of grass.

Homeowners on our local lakes kind of scare me. This happened on Duck Lake and I have a friend who fished Ohop last year and one of the homeowners told him that they put grass carp into that lake, as well. I love it when a person buys a house knowing what his surroundings are and then do all they can do to change it. In fact, it pisses me off! But then again, I fish for bass and hate to see our waters, from a bass fishing stand point, deteriorate.

tbrinks
Petty Officer

Post by tbrinks » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:09 pm

That's too bad. Wanted to check it out next time I am over there. Looks like a cool lake!
Spokane, WA
Navionics Sponsored
http://www.tbrinksfishing.com

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:23 pm

A buddy of mine has property there and fished it hard for two days about 3 weeks ago. Never touched a bass. I agree with the others...used to be an amazing lake. We had some really good days years ago. Sad. [thumbdn]
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Elijah.Loves.Fishin
Warrant Officer

Post by Elijah.Loves.Fishin » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:46 pm

arniejl wrote:Duck Lake used to be an awesome lake for huge largemouth. We had the Region 6 warm water biologist attend one of our club meetings last summer and he said a few things about it. I cannot make direct quotes but I can tell you the gist of what he said. He said, Duck Lake used to have huge bass in it. People used to fly in to fish it from other parts of the country. The homeowners asked for a permit to put grass carp into the lake and were granted the permit. They put too many in there, I think he said 400 of them. They cleared the lake of, virtually, all vegetation. He said something like once all the vegetation is gone, the nutrients that have collected on the bottom then start to rise back up. He said that the homeowners now have a big green swimming pool. He said there is not much there anymore other than some stunted yellow perch. He said that there may be a few largemouth around but very few. He said he had talked to people that used to fish it and they almost had tears in their eyes because the lake was ruined.

Take this for what it is worth. I heard him say this stuff but, I also have a friend that has property on the lake and he said the lake, at least out front of his property, is still full of grass.

Homeowners on our local lakes kind of scare me. This happened on Duck Lake and I have a friend who fished Ohop last year and one of the homeowners told him that they put grass carp into that lake, as well. I love it when a person buys a house knowing what his surroundings are and then do all they can do to change it. In fact, it pisses me off! But then again, I fish for bass and hate to see our waters, from a bass fishing stand point, deteriorate.
Ugh.. That's disgusting to hear. Ohop is a great bass fishery.. The majority of homeowners on lakes are extremely ignorant and suck!