Hula Grubs

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
skimpy
Commander

Hula Grubs

Post by skimpy » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:07 pm

I love fishing Hula Grubs so much I had to start making them. I've had a lot of people ask me how I attach the skirt to the grub, so i figured I would share this video !

https://youtu.be/2agMFRBLThM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Hula Grubs

Post by Amx » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:27 pm

They work great, but I'm too lazy to make my own. [laugh]
Tom.

Interests: living

skimpy
Commander

Post by skimpy » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:31 pm

Lol. Yeah sometimes I feel the same hahahhah. Sometimes just easier to go buy, but I love being able to make custom ones !! Thanks for watching

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:28 pm

Is it common to set the hook on a fish (perch, rock bass) that has clamped down on the twin tails, and rip the twin tails off the bait in the process? Some little bastard fish or large marge is ruining my baits by keeping the tails. Both tails end up missing every time!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:35 pm

Yup, happens a lot. If one tail is missing, I still fish that grub. The Bass will eat it anyway. One time I even caught a couple fish with both tails missing as I was getting ready to go home and didn't feel like putting on a new hulagrub.
Tom.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:45 am

Amx wrote:Yup, happens a lot. If one tail is missing, I still fish that grub. The Bass will eat it anyway. One time I even caught a couple fish with both tails missing as I was getting ready to go home and didn't feel like putting on a new hulagrub.
The last time out both tails were ripped from the Hula. I went out after that, forgetting about the missing tails, and forgetting my replacements back in the car in the parking lot. Instead of hiking back to the car, I fished it as is. I received two very nice thumps in two different spots. A double thump, is that a perch? Rock bass, even small ones seem to get the hook in there mouths, more so than the perch. What fish likely hits the lure in a way that trans mitt's a double thump back to the rod tip?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:54 am

MotoBoat wrote:
Amx wrote:Yup, happens a lot. If one tail is missing, I still fish that grub. The Bass will eat it anyway. One time I even caught a couple fish with both tails missing as I was getting ready to go home and didn't feel like putting on a new hulagrub.
The last time out both tails were ripped from the Hula. I went out after that, forgetting about the missing tails, and forgetting my replacements back in the car in the parking lot. Instead of hiking back to the car, I fished it as is. I received two very nice thumps in two different spots. A double thump, is that a perch? Rock bass, even small ones seem to get the hook in there mouths, more so than the perch. What fish likely hits the lure in a way that trans mitt's a double thump back to the rod tip?

It can depend. The first thump could be when a bass/fish sucked in the grub, the second could be when the fish turned right away. I figure a sharp triple tug is a perch, a single and double tugs are small or medium bass. A soft tug can be a big Bass. But I've been fooled more than a couple times. lol [laugh]
Tom.