Preferred Jig Line

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
ImaFrayedKnot
Petty Officer

Preferred Jig Line

Post by ImaFrayedKnot » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:05 pm

Curious what kind of line folks throw on the jig rods. I have a rod w/ 50# braid for the thick-n-nasty stuff.. pads, grass mats, etc. but for open water w/ light structure, mostly sandy bottom what would a recommended line type and test be? I've been using 10# mono and fluoro but wondering if I should bump to 12# or even throw some braid on. [confused]

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Preferred Jig Line

Post by Amx » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:09 pm

Yup, but you can use braid with a floro leader and that'll be fine too.
Tom.

Interests: living

ImaFrayedKnot
Petty Officer

Post by ImaFrayedKnot » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:19 pm

In stained but open water would going straight braid be an issue?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:33 pm

Depends on the amount of stain, the color of the stain, and the color of the braid. I'd at the minimum put marks on the braid. 2" long, every 4" for a t least 2 feet, 6 feet would be better. Breaks up the line and makes it harder for the fish to tell that there is a line there. Use a black magic marker with a slot cut in the wick that'll go around the line, slide the line thru the slot.
Tom.

Interests: living

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:00 pm

You can get away with flipping braid in stained water say up to 3' viz or in heavy vegetation. But for all my jig fishing or flipping in cover that's not vegetation I use 20# fluorocarbon exclusively. I don't have to worry about a big one breaking me off when it gets into the nasty cover. Flourocarbon because of the minimal stretch and invisibility! And on top of that I run 65# for anything nasty. Believe it or not you can break 50# braid easier then you think.

ImaFrayedKnot
Petty Officer

Post by ImaFrayedKnot » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:54 am

I'm going to play around with 20# braid and 12-15# fluorocarbon since I'm in mostly open water...

tbrinks
Petty Officer

Post by tbrinks » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:38 am

15lb fluoro for open water, 17 or 20 fluoro for pitching docks, wood and grass.
Spokane, WA
Navionics Sponsored
http://www.tbrinksfishing.com

cumminsbassguy
Petty Officer

Post by cumminsbassguy » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:55 pm

I use 15lb 100% pline for pretty much all my light/ moderate and some heavy flipping and pitching and open water. then ill use my big braid if I am combat fishing. granted I don't really throw a jig in open water too too much.