Hook sets with top water Frogs

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Weekend-warrior17
Warrant Officer

Hook sets with top water Frogs

Post by Weekend-warrior17 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:06 pm

Realize it's still a little early but have found a couple lilly pad fields that are producing early.
I'm sure everyone has there own way of stickin' the hogs but if you wouldn't mind I'd like to hear what people's opinion is to successfully fishing that ole top water frog, it seem like sometimes no matter how long you let them swim with the frogs, hook sets are still missing the lip.
Is there a way to tweak the hook's/baits to get a better angle yet still be weedless? Hey thanks guys for the read and maybe we'll learn something new.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Hook sets with top water Frogs

Post by Amx » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:10 pm

Bend the hook point out slightly, and hope.

Hope it sticks, but doesn't hang up on the pads.
Tom.

Interests: living

bacca
Petty Officer

Post by bacca » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:29 pm

Buy frog baits with "channels" on the tops so you don't have to bury the hook back into the plastic. 'Bout the only way I've found that works.

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:26 am

What kind of frog baits are your using Weekend warrior ? I mostly use Hollow body frogs in general . I would like to offer some positive feed back I just need to know exactly which frog bait (so many brands) that you are having problems with bud :-k

Weekend-warrior17
Warrant Officer

Post by Weekend-warrior17 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:54 am

[quote="Bigbass Dez"]What kind of frog baits are your using Weekend warrior ? I mostly use Hollow body frogs in general . I would like to offer some positive feed back I just need to know exactly which frog bait (so many brands) that you are having problems with bud :-k[/

This model of hollow bellies I have the most difficulty hooking up.
They blow up on it threw the lilly pads but either miss it completely or throw it flying threw the air either that or when I go to set the hook it just pulls away from them like the plastic is to stiff and is to weedless. Thanks y'all.
Attachments
image.jpg

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:58 am

Are you hooksetting vertically, or moving the rod sorta horizontally/sweeping to the side? I like the vertical rod movement so it rotates the frog's nose up and has a better chance of getting the hooks into the fishes upper lip or roof of their mouth. Solid or hollow bodied frogs.

If the bass are busting under the dense pads, then the type of frog won't make any difference. The Bass is just trying to stun the food, and is then waiting for it to sink down past/under the pads. Throw in a sinking worm or jig for a followup lure, the Bass should be down there waiting for it, and should grab it.
Tom.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:12 am

How long of rod, and what line are you using? Pound test, and braid/floro/mono, or braid with floro/mono leader?

What is the name/brand of rod and the specs of it?
Tom.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:13 am

Can you post a picture of the pad field from back in April? So we can see how dense the pads were.
Tom.

Weekend-warrior17
Warrant Officer

Post by Weekend-warrior17 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:39 am

7' , Abu Garcia Vigilante, Medium Action, Casting. Have used both 30 pound Braid and also 10 pound mono.

Weekend-warrior17
Warrant Officer

Post by Weekend-warrior17 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:56 am

Last edited by Weekend-warrior17 on Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Weekend-warrior17
Warrant Officer

Post by Weekend-warrior17 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:03 am

Can't post picture size isn't right and not on the computer. Sorry

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:08 am

Im gonna help your problem right here. You want a heavy action rod to bury the hooks on the frog and want to use no less then 50# braid. I prefer 65# though. Bend the hooks slightly up. when the fish blows it up count to 2 or when you feel weight. typically I count to two and then swing by then the fish should have it if it has eaten it.

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:18 pm

Thanks Weekend Warrior , I just wrote up tons of info and the site made me re log in again so the info was lost [glare]

I will do this again tonight after work . Promise

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:06 am

Okay i have tried to post a reply twice only to get the same results (LOGED OUT) lost of all content #-o LOL

Weekend Warrior , do me a favor a shoot me a PM . I will just give you ring later on today and chat for a few . I have to get back to work

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:53 pm

fishingmachine wrote:Im gonna help your problem right here. You want a heavy action rod to bury the hooks on the frog and want to use no less then 50# braid. I prefer 65# though. Bend the hooks slightly up. when the fish blows it up count to 2 or when you feel weight. typically I count to two and then swing by then the fish should have it if it has eaten it.
Exactly