one Rod reel combo

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
jake_k
Warrant Officer

one Rod reel combo

Post by jake_k » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:10 am

hey guys I want to get some big bass out of lakes here in seattle that I can use my float tube on. I was looking for some advice on rods and reels. I would like to have one rod and reel that i can use for all types of bass fishing as I am in a float tube. any tips on what kind of gear to acquire for summer bass fishing would be appreciated.

Jigking Fishhead
Petty Officer

Re: one Rod reel combo

Post by Jigking Fishhead » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:48 pm

In my opinion you are asking for a lot out of one rod and reel combination, especially with the amount of different baits you can fish to be successful for largies.. I myself cannot help you as I have at least 12 rods in my rod lockers at all times, all used for different techniques and baits.
I have $60,000 invested in a boat, motor, gear and baits all to catch a fish with a brain the size of a pea. I wouldn't have it any other way.

TroutSnipr
Commander

Post by TroutSnipr » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:40 pm

You didn't mention a price range, and 'all types of bass fishing' is a pretty broad statement. What techniques do you know? As a general statement. I would say (if you want casting gear) is a 7' 1pc medium fast action IM8 rod and a reel that can hold 100 yds of 30lb braid. You aren't going to be pulling 20lbers out of the brush piles around here. It'd still be stiff enough to do some light flipping and sensitive enough to drop shot. It will allow you to fish numerous techniques, just some of them not as well as a specialized rod.
Lamiglas G1307/Pflueger Arbor 7435
Berkley A949MH/Pflueger Arbor 7440
Damiki Angel EX S662ML/Pflueger President 6930
Denali Jadewood JS782FR/Pflueger President 6935
Abu Garcia Vendetta VTS706/Pflueger President XT 6730
Quantum EXO-PT/US Reels Hibdon 800

Dan360
Petty Officer

Post by Dan360 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:48 pm

A 6'6 to 7 foot medium action baitcaster makes for a versatile rod. I really like my Shimano Compre 6'8" worm/jig medium/fast with Shimano Citica 200 reel. Its a light setup that throws light baits well. It also has a soft enough tip for shallow cranks and lipless cranks. A very versatile rod and reel combo. I just have some 10# Ultragreen mono spooled on it. Braid might be a good choice if it is one and only.
There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind. ~Washington Irving

TroutSnipr
Commander

Post by TroutSnipr » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:46 am

I say braid, because you can always tie a mono or fluoro leader on if you want a different finesse presentation, but the braid allows you to get closer into cover with a greater chance of actually landing a hooked up fish because you can horse it out of the cover if you need to. If you want to give a price range I'll make a more specific recommendation. I've fished everything from the BPS and Cabela's stix to custom GLoomis rods so I could give you a good recommendation at pretty much any reasonable price range.
Lamiglas G1307/Pflueger Arbor 7435
Berkley A949MH/Pflueger Arbor 7440
Damiki Angel EX S662ML/Pflueger President 6930
Denali Jadewood JS782FR/Pflueger President 6935
Abu Garcia Vendetta VTS706/Pflueger President XT 6730
Quantum EXO-PT/US Reels Hibdon 800

bass kickin redneck
Petty Officer

Post by bass kickin redneck » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:54 pm

I say a mojo bass spinning rod just cause you can put all three types of line on the spools they make a mh i use a m for finesse fishing i love that rod
Shut up and fish