I Like My New Rods

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Dan360
Petty Officer

I Like My New Rods

Post by Dan360 » Tue May 29, 2012 10:10 pm

I haven't been having the best luck with LMB this year so far. I've been trying new baits and methods to become more versatile, but it hasn't been working out. Winter/Early Spring bass fishing has never been my strong suit, so I should have probably stuck to baits that I have confidence with instead of all of this new stuff. I really enjoy finesse fishing and I've always used gear a bit lighter than most. I've been trying to use larger baits and heavier gear to no avail. Since its my birthday, I decided it was time for a couple of new rods. My wife killed my favorite baitcast rod in my tailgate earlier this spring so that was #1 on the list. The next rod was going to be a spinning rod for light finesse baits.

I wanted my new casting rod to be lighter than my current spinnerbait and crankbait rods. I envisioned a light rod in the 8-12# range with a slightly softer tip for my favorite baits: light spinnerbaits (1/8 to 1/4 oz), lighter lipless cranks, smaller shallow cranks and suspending jerkbaits. Oddly enough, I found the action I was looking for in Shimano's second generation of Compre rods with their Worm/Jig 6'8" 8-12# Med/Fast. Its labeled as "Fast", but I would say it has a considerably softer tip than most of my "Fast" rods that would be purposed for worm/jig fishing like this rod is supposed to be. I set it up with a Shimano Citica 200E and 10# mono.

I wanted my new spinning rod to have a light enough tip to be able to load up with light floating stick/jerk baits and light weight/unweighted plastic rigs. I also wanted it to have enough backbone for long hook-sets. I found a first-generation Shimano Compre 7'0 6-10# light/med/fast on clearance it felt like it was going to be perfect. Set it up with a Shimano Symetre 1500 with 6# mono (might go to 8# with the other spool).

I put the boat in the water at Lake St. Clair near Lacey at 1:30 in the afternoon. Oddly enough, there was hardly any breeze on the water (which is great because my aluminum boat acts like a sail). Since it was later in the afternoon, I decided to fish a bit slower and rigged my new casting rod with a texas-rigged Zoom grub with 1/8 oz weight. I rigged the spinning rod with a #1 Gamikatsu Finesse hook and wacky rigged a 3 inch Senko.

After three hours of fishing, I was pretty much convinced I had the perfect rods for my style of fishing and I think they'll be dynamite on smallies. The 6'8 Compre Worm/Jig casting rod loads up easily with a light bait and pairs perfectly with the Citica reel. I wasn't warm on the new skeletonized rod handles but I realize now that they make the rod really light and sensitive. I didn't miss a single fish today with that rod (but it could have been the fish, really aggressive today). I pitched a grub toward a dock and had to deal with a bit of a bird-nest. When I looked up, my line was running rapidly along the bank 10 feet from where the lure had landed. Reeled up, set the hook, nice 2-pounder.

The spinning rod was just as impressive. I used the 3 inch senko on a wacky rig to cast to isolated clumps of weeds. I was able to see a few bass cruising the shallow areas, so I tossed the senko up ahead of them thinking I would feather the bait with the light rod to coax a strike. That didn't really work out due to the bass charging anything that hit the water near them. The fish were really aggressive today.

I had a great day and it was my first 10-fish day of the year. Honestly, it was also my first 5-fish day of the year as well. I just haven't been putting it together until today. Sorry for novel!
There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind. ~Washington Irving

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Re: I Like My New Rods

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Wed May 30, 2012 10:24 am

A very nice time out on the water it sounds like for sure. Thanks for the great write up.