Lake washington bass

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
jake_k
Warrant Officer

Lake washington bass

Post by jake_k » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:01 pm

When will the bass move up in to shallower water so they can be caught near shore. When will the are around Gene Colun park be fish able

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Lake washington bass

Post by Amx » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:03 pm

Right now, this evening, tomorrow, and all the way until Dec.

They well be in and out cruising along the shoreline.
Tom.

Interests: living

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:04 pm

http://washingtonlakes.com/forum/viewto ... 05#p155405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom.

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:11 pm

It all depends on water temperature. And spring is dragging her heels.

spindog
Commander

Post by spindog » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:04 am

kzoo wrote:It all depends on water temperature. And spring is dragging her heels.
Don't be fooled by water temperature!
There is no magical temperature to bring bass shallow,the bass are programmed to come shallow.
Reproduction instinct pushes bass shallow "way before" temperatures are suitable or stable for pre-spawn.
This is not the pre-spawn movement but the cold water period and LMB are moving in and out and are shallow
right now. Savvy Bass anglers are taking advantage right now!!
Last edited by spindog on Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cast first, worry later.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:56 am

Not JUST temps, but LENGTH and AMOUNT of sun light. The temps down deep won't change for months yet, so temps are minimal at this time. Sunlight, Sunlight, Sunlight.
Tom.

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:24 am

I disagree. These are cold blooded animals? How many bass have you guys caught up to date this year in the shallows?

Sunlight and the moon can affect the big part of the spawn.

First warm day like today should bring something up shallow. Might not be many and might not be too active.

Of course don't let me deter you jake, it's always a shot. But if you're expecting those days getting numerous bites off the dock, IMO it wont' be until the water temp gets up.

I'm heading out to the lake today. When I get back I'll share a personal experience about Spawn and Water Temp.

spindog
Commander

Post by spindog » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:32 am

The fishing ought to be picking up, with warmer daytime temps. The daytime temps along with continued
lows of night time will keep us in the "early cold water period" for awhile. Right now is prime time water temps, mid 40's and rising!. Jake saw you in the reports section, 4lb Lake Washington LMB, way to go!
:cheers: [woot] [thumbup]
Cast first, worry later.

redboneshadow
Angler

Post by redboneshadow » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:51 pm

Still waiting for water temp. to come up. Planning on hitting seward park hopefully soon.

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:08 am

I still believe with all my heart and soul that MOST of these fish, wild animals, and even plants are affected far more by the length of day than the temperature. I used to breed different kinds of fish and I know many could be coaxed into breeding by simply adjusting the amount of 'daylight' their tanks see. so while the humans may not want to fish the colder temps.. i think the fish are already responding to the extra daylight.

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:09 am

Im a 100% Believer in the fact that Bass migration is soley based around the increase Lenght of day , PERIOD !
Other varialbles like steady days of sunshine will come into play also , but that too me only tells me how "shallow" i can look for the pre~spawners ..

Example :

Lk goodwin was 38 degrees a couple of weeks ago and prior to my trip there we have an 3 days of good sunlight okay . Well we decided too start our efforts in 10ft of water and casting up towards bank , after going 40 min without a bite we figured that was need to make some adjustments ..
The next area we pulled into instead of cruising the shoreline in 10ft we decided to start in 5-6ft and continued to cast up toward the shoreline from that depth (BINGO) ..Within The next hour we boates 3 good size smallies and even managed to stick one with a shallow running crank (that fish ate it in 4ft)
Through out the rest of the day continued to stroke more good fish and all of there bellies were "BULGING" !!
Now here is my question too the non belivers , Do you honestly think that those fish are waiting for a water temps too increase before they moved up too feed ?
Do you think the bulg in there belly were full of eggs ?
NO & NO !!
I cant stress this enough guys , its not about a matter of opinion its a matter of understanding Pre spawn patterns and the migration of bass early season on indivuale lakes around our state .

This thread is the reason why our next video will be soley centered around pre spawn patterns for bassfishing here in our state [thumbup]

BBD

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:22 am

That's really good info, Dez. I'm no expert, but it makes sense. I've started to see a lot more little minnows in the lakes that I fish too, which I'm sure has gotten the bass hungry too. Got my first Lake Washington largemouth the other day in the shallow water, about 4 pounds. Picked it up casting a silver spinner in about 3 feet of water. The water was pretty darn cold compared to how warm it will be in a month or so, but it was sunny.

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:59 am

natetreat wrote:That's really good info, Dez. I'm no expert, but it makes sense. I've started to see a lot more little minnows in the lakes that I fish too, which I'm sure has gotten the bass hungry too. Got my first Lake Washington largemouth the other day in the shallow water, about 4 pounds. Picked it up casting a silver spinner in about 3 feet of water. The water was pretty darn cold compared to how warm it will be in a month or so, but it was sunny.

Nate ,

Wazzzz up homie [flapper] haha

Yea i was on lk washington just this past wkend saturday , The bite was pretty tuff and dealing with the 15-18mph wind gust coming out the north made it down right hard too get bit .. We managed 3 good smallies overall with 4 hrs of fishing , all of those fish related extreamly tight to cover (spot on the spot) Most bites were in 18-20ft for the most part .

We didnt do any LMB fishing that day so im glad to hear that they are on the roam . lets catch up over the wkend , ill call ya bud !

Jigking Fishhead
Petty Officer

Post by Jigking Fishhead » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:46 pm

Dez you are absolutely correct about how the length of the day affects the movement of the fish. their food is generally up shallow and when they are hungry they move. Case in point. The Icebreaker tourney on Coeur d Alene 04/01, water temp 38-42 in areas and several largies were caught in 2-3' of water tight against cover on reaction baits.. Don't tell me they weren't hungry.. Dez good luck this weekend on Banks..

Kevin
I have $60,000 invested in a boat, motor, gear and baits all to catch a fish with a brain the size of a pea. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:31 pm

Jigking Fishhead wrote:Dez you are absolutely correct about how the length of the day affects the movement of the fish. their food is generally up shallow and when they are hungry they move. Case in point. The Icebreaker tourney on Coeur d Alene 04/01, water temp 38-42 in areas and several largies were caught in 2-3' of water tight against cover on reaction baits.. Don't tell me they weren't hungry.. Dez good luck this weekend on Banks..

Kevin

Hey thanks Kev , Im really looking forward to banks brother ..Once i get > :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :nemo: in the boat i will feel much better , as of right now the butterflies are getting the best of me haha

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:55 pm

My partner and I got out monday and fished purely largies and caught 2 and missed a few others. The fish are starting to get more active all over. Ill be back out there on saturday fishing both smallies and largies should be a good day with some nice weather.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:13 pm

Bigbass Dez wrote:
natetreat wrote:That's really good info, Dez. I'm no expert, but it makes sense. I've started to see a lot more little minnows in the lakes that I fish too, which I'm sure has gotten the bass hungry too. Got my first Lake Washington largemouth the other day in the shallow water, about 4 pounds. Picked it up casting a silver spinner in about 3 feet of water. The water was pretty darn cold compared to how warm it will be in a month or so, but it was sunny.

Nate ,

Wazzzz up homie [flapper] haha

Yea i was on lk washington just this past wkend saturday , The bite was pretty tuff and dealing with the 15-18mph wind gust coming out the north made it down right hard too get bit .. We managed 3 good smallies overall with 4 hrs of fishing , all of those fish related extreamly tight to cover (spot on the spot) Most bites were in 18-20ft for the most part .

We didnt do any LMB fishing that day so im glad to hear that they are on the roam . lets catch up over the wkend , ill call ya bud !
Yea, I was pretty happy about it too. I was out at the north end from Log Boom, so the wind was not nearly as bad. Was also looking to scout some carp, but it's a bit early.

travy
Petty Officer

Post by travy » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:47 pm

where are some good spots to start out on the lake? launching from kenmore..

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:50 pm

The bridge pilings.

Webster Point.

The 2 bays north of the bridges.

Three Fingers Points on the east side.
Tom.

travy
Petty Officer

Post by travy » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:13 pm

I'll look those up! First time out on the lake and I was overwhelmed with not knowing where to start