Dragon Flys

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
JT26
Commander

Dragon Flys

Post by JT26 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:04 pm

on friday, my brother and i were at phantom lake and there was a either resting, or dead dragon fly on top of the water, and then a bass came up and aggresivly grabbed it and went back down. We were on the dock, so we saw the bass on the bottom holding it in its mouth for about 10-15 seconds, then swallow it. the bass wasnt that big, but it got me exited to see that right at the dock.

I was wondering if floating dragon fly softbaits are available? im looking at bass pro and cant find one...

Also, i caught like 8 small bass by flinging a worm under the dock and letting it sit for a second then slowly reeling. The bass were all perch sized, exept for one that was a little bigger. but fun for me.

Thanks in advanced, JT.

danielt
Commander

RE:Dragon Flys

Post by danielt » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:13 pm

You can fly fish for bass as well and it does not have to be a dragon fly...they will eat anything they can fit in that big mouth

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:21 am

i have seen this many many many times. bass love dragon flys, or anything else they can eat lol. try tossing a 3 inch senko down there. im sure there are bigger ones under that dock.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

jmay
Lieutenant

Post by jmay » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:28 am

Fly shops will have blue dragon fly, flies they have a blue foam body with white calf hair as wings. Being foam they float well. I have had a few very great days fishing them for trout when the hatch is on

bpm2000
Captain

Post by bpm2000 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:06 am

River2Sea makes a hard dragonfly bait, but its wings are said to be of poor quality and fall off quickly.
Uncle Bucks or something makes a soft bait you can find on basspro.

Let us know how they work for you if you get some.

jake campbell
Petty Officer

Post by jake campbell » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:45 am

Here are some pics I found of the river2sea dragonflies hat BPM2000 was talking about. It seems like they work pretty good!
Attachments
dragon_fly_2.jpg
dragon_fly_2.jpg (53.79 KiB) Viewed 913 times
dragon_fly_2.jpg
dragon_fly_2.jpg (53.79 KiB) Viewed 919 times
bass_dragon_fly.jpg
bass_dragon_fly.jpg (51.91 KiB) Viewed 921 times