Hook Removal

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Kfedka
Commander

Hook Removal

Post by Kfedka » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:22 am

This year I got a little into Bass fishing, its a blast! I went fishing yesterday and caught a 13 inch large mouth with a senko using a 3/0 hook. The Bass swallowed the senko deep in the throat. I wasn't sure how to remove it with a needle nose pliers without ripping out its throat. So I ended up cutting my line and left the hook inside.

Then today was doing a little reading on how to resolve this for future reference and here is something I found; http://www.electric-bass.org/throughTheGill.htm

Can I get some input from some of your experiences. Thanks.

ChrisB
Captain

RE:Hook Removal

Post by ChrisB » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:52 am

I don't have much experience with this because I am a line watcher, but I do get 1 maybe 2 gut shot fish on a football head every year. If I had a hook in the fish like the picture shown, I would use my pair of sharp dikes and cut the hook as close as I could get. I would rather leave it in then rip them up.
aka Powerworm

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:46 pm

I have used this technique a couple of times on Cali bass and it is surprisingly smooth and easy. Best way to remove a hook out of the gullet. Never had to do it on any Washington bass though.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:49 pm

Washington bass are tougher, they might bite you. Image
Tom.

Interests: living

spindog
Commander

Post by spindog » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:02 pm

Best invention when talking "in the throat" The Zak flip gun rotates the hook and allows super easy removal.

http://www.myfishingandcamping.com/eMer ... egory=1778
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cast first, worry later.

Shadow Caster
Petty Officer

Post by Shadow Caster » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:08 pm

I have used the flip gun and it works rather well and quickly. I was skeptical when I bought it because after all it is pink, but it works. The only thing I would recommend is to pick up a few as the break down rather quickly being almost all plastic. I was given a better constructed (forged aluminum I think) one by a friend made by Rapala, but I haven't had to use it yet this year.

Also, I did see the flip gun for sale at Big 5 sporting goods.