Brand New Method For Wacky Rigging Large Stickbaits

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
MarkFromSea
Admiral

Re: Brand New Method For Wacky Rigging Large Stickbaits

Post by MarkFromSea » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:32 pm

=D> Awesome! Easier to read....... [thumbup]
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

Elijah.Loves.Fishin
Warrant Officer

Post by Elijah.Loves.Fishin » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:47 pm

G-Man wrote:
Elijah.Loves.Fishin wrote:fair enough :) sorry but i wasn't trying to come off as a jerk. i've been in an annoyed mood today :P
Elijah - Please don't apologize for voicing your opinion, we would still be stuck in the stone age if folks never questioned the status quo.

F-N-F - could you please tone down the color and size of your font? It is hard on the eyes and doesn't make for an easy read.
thanks g-man! :D i really do stand by what i said. i just didn't want it to be misinterpreted as me being an a-hole about the way i typed it online XD

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:16 pm

let everybody know how it works. If I was to do that I would use wide gap weedless finese hooks. Same hooks you would use for wacky rig but not ewg hooks. Maybe I will try it at the pond in march. I got a buddy the makes 12" senko type baits and I still have a pack to try with.

Elijah.Loves.Fishin
Warrant Officer

Post by Elijah.Loves.Fishin » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:46 pm

tnj8222 wrote:let everybody know how it works. If I was to do that I would use wide gap weedless finese hooks. Same hooks you would use for wacky rig but not ewg hooks. Maybe I will try it at the pond in march. I got a buddy the makes 12" senko type baits and I still have a pack to try with.
i'm planning to test it at a lake this weekend. and yes i was thinking of using gamakatsu weedless wacky rig hooks in place of the ewgs. i never use them for wacky rigging but they may be better for this situation.

Fish-N-Fool
Commander

Post by Fish-N-Fool » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:29 am

The Owner weedless wacky hook is IMHO a way better hook. I love Gammy hooks but the Owner has the edge on weedless wacky hooks. I use Gammy's for just about everything else.

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:57 am

Creative rig Elijah, but I'd have to assume the hooks will affect the action of the wiggle when it falls. Although try it out, I might be wrong.

Elijah.Loves.Fishin
Warrant Officer

Post by Elijah.Loves.Fishin » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:57 pm

kzoo wrote:Creative rig Elijah, but I'd have to assume the hooks will affect the action of the wiggle when it falls. Although try it out, I might be wrong.
Yeah, I'm gonna have to experiment with different styles and sizes of hooks. i messed around with it in a bucket and it still has that side to side wobble but perhaps not on a grand scale. i typically catch most of my bass on wacky rigs while i'm twitching it and forcing that worm to bow over and straighten out.

f1sh1nf00l
Warrant Officer

Post by f1sh1nf00l » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:19 pm

Marcantonio had some monster sencos at his big fish seminar that I believe were either 8 or 9 inch, made by Yamamoto. I have some 12" sencos that are made by some folks down south. You can get big stick baits, just not in the stores around here. If you want, I can give you some links to some folks that hand pour lots of big baits. Or just check out Texas Fishing Fourum, in the classifieds, alot of the big baits I get are custom pours from folks down there.

Elijah.Loves.Fishin
Warrant Officer

Post by Elijah.Loves.Fishin » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:57 pm

f1sh1nf00l wrote:Marcantonio had some monster sencos at his big fish seminar that I believe were either 8 or 9 inch, made by Yamamoto. I have some 12" sencos that are made by some folks down south. You can get big stick baits, just not in the stores around here. If you want, I can give you some links to some folks that hand pour lots of big baits. Or just check out Texas Fishing Fourum, in the classifieds, alot of the big baits I get are custom pours from folks down there.
very nice :D i've looked around on a lot of sites and major manufacturers but none of the "smaller sites". i'm sure there are companies that make them. shouldn't have been so broad with my general statement about not knowing of other companies that make them.

tagwatson360
Commander

Post by tagwatson360 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:33 am

A friend of mine pours 10" salt-impregnated stickbaits called P-Stix. You can purchase them at Bass Tackle Depot.

http://www.basstackledepot.com/p-stix-10-inch.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have caught quite a few bass with these lures, both Texas-rigged and wacky-rigged. I can assure you that any bass worth catching is going to have no problem engulfing the lure completely.

I am a huge proponent of experimenting/tinkering and coming up with new and unique ways to rig lures and catch bass. I respect the creativity a great deal. However, I have to agree with Kzoo that this particular rigging method will inhibit the desired action and offer a much less natural presentation. Grab some P-Stix, stick with the one quality wide gap hook, and go catch some toads.

Good luck,

Tag
Attachments
10 inch P-Stix.jpg
10 inch P-Stix.jpg (43.62 KiB) Viewed 2772 times

Elijah.Loves.Fishin
Warrant Officer

Post by Elijah.Loves.Fishin » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:37 am

tagwatson360 wrote:A friend of mine pours 10" salt-impregnated stickbaits called P-Stix. You can purchase them at Bass Tackle Depot.

http://www.basstackledepot.com/p-stix-10-inch.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have caught quite a few bass with these lures, both Texas-rigged and wacky-rigged. I can assure you that any bass worth catching is going to have no problem engulfing the lure completely.

I am a huge proponent of experimenting/tinkering and coming up with new and unique ways to rig lures and catch bass. I respect the creativity a great deal. However, I have to agree with Kzoo that this particular rigging method will inhibit the desired action and offer a much less natural presentation. Grab some P-Stix, stick with the one quality wide gap hook, and go catch some toads.

Good luck,

Tag
phew~~~ 11 bucks for 5? that's super pricey! i think i'll just make my own XD. i tested it in my cooler and it does still fall with a shimmy and wiggles side to side. i definitely wouldn't be throwing this in super clear water unless the bass were staging for spawn or already on beds. i'm still tinkering around with ideas on how to rig this. perhaps heavier guage fluorocarbon and wacky / octopus hooks.

i completely agree that any bigger fish could easily engulf a 9 - 10 inch stickbait. but it's washington, and the average angler doesn't always catch pigs. we're not the infamous tag watson that catches monsters on the regular! much respect! :salut:

i've had a lot of 5" stickbait stolen off my wacky rig plenty of times which is what has made me paranoid to try throwing a 9" on a single hook. i will try both out as the weather warms up :)

tagwatson360
Commander

Post by tagwatson360 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:08 pm

Hey Mr. Elijah,

Thanks for the reply. I think you'll be shocked what size bass can and will engulf the jumbo-sized plastics. I get on the water very rarely in recent years. But when I do, I like to throw bigger baits almost exclusively. I definitely catch plenty of smaller fish on big swimbaits, larger plastics and bulky jig/trailer combinations.

The reason for my post was just to kindly suggest giving the single hook a try initially, as I am confident you'll be pleasantly surprised with your hook up ratio on all sizes of bass. Perhaps wait an extra few seconds prior to setting the hook as a precautionary measure if you are concerned about missing strikes. By all means experiment, but I think you'll find yourself keeping it simple in the long run and having good success.

Per the pricing, I believe the P-Stix are a very fair value.

There is roughly 5 times more plastic in one 10" P-Stix than one 5" Senko. Currently, a bag of ten 5" Senkos retails for $7.49 ($.75 each). At $10.99 for five 10" P-Stix, you are actually paying 70% less, by plastic volume, for P-Stix. Not trying to disagree with your opinion, just offering a different perspective.

Have fun and hook 'em hard,

Tag
Attachments
P-Stix.jpg
P-Stix.jpg (66.46 KiB) Viewed 2749 times

Elijah.Loves.Fishin
Warrant Officer

Post by Elijah.Loves.Fishin » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:18 pm

tagwatson360 wrote:Hey Mr. Elijah,

Thanks for the reply. I think you'll be shocked what size bass can and will engulf the jumbo-sized plastics. I get on the water very rarely in recent years. But when I do, I like to throw bigger baits almost exclusively. I definitely catch plenty of smaller fish on big swimbaits, larger plastics and bulky jig/trailer combinations.

The reason for my post was just to kindly suggest giving the single hook a try initially, as I am confident you'll be pleasantly surprised with your hook up ratio on all sizes of bass. Perhaps wait an extra few seconds prior to setting the hook as a precautionary measure if you are concerned about missing strikes. By all means experiment, but I think you'll find yourself keeping it simple in the long run and having good success.

Per the pricing, I believe the P-Stix are a very fair value.

There is roughly 5 times more plastic in one 10" P-Stix than one 5" Senko. Currently, a bag of ten 5" Senkos retails for $7.49 ($.75 each). At $10.99 for five 10" P-Stix, you are actually paying 70% less, by plastic volume, for P-Stix. Not trying to disagree with your opinion, just offering a different perspective.

Have fun and hook 'em hard,

Tag
thanks for the info tag! :)

i personally tend to stay away from the yamamoto senkos and have not repurchased them since the first time in 2010. it may be just me but the yamamoto senkos are very pricey and tend to tear very easily. i've never got my senko back when wacky rigging on a single fish. perhaps i need to buy a wacky rigger tool with o rings. i've tried a bunch of different brands of stickbaits that offer nearly double the number of baits as yamamoto senkos in the 4 - 5 dollar range and had similar success.

however, the rig that i came up with was more of an idea / concept than anything. i definitely wouldn't be throwing it on a consistent basis if at all. part of the reason i posted on here was to get input on the idea before actually trying it out and trying to catch a fish on it. i did mess around with it a little in my cooler and it still did have a nice shimmy / side to side wobbling action but the rig seem to restrict it a little bit. but i agree with you and will try with the single hook and see how it works before trying this rig.

Hewes15
Angler

Post by Hewes15 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:33 pm

Try the O-ring thing and you wont go back I can catch fish all day on same Senko. Or check out eco pro tungsten wacky weights they are very cool. Elijah you are combative sometimes and like to argue I am glad someone like TAG can provide a calm constructive answer for you : ). We are all here for the same thing and we are all forever learning.

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:28 pm

I can see this killing alot of fish. With a stick bait the fish 9 times out of ten will inhale the bait already down to the back of its mouth. All i can see is one of the 3 hooks sticking a gill while the other is in its stomach= DEAD FISH.
Use the o ring like mentioned. and if your bait gets stolen it gets stolen.

The HAWG HUNTER
Warrant Officer

Post by The HAWG HUNTER » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:04 pm

I like to see guys thinking out of the box with lures and soft baits. Keep it up Elijah this year just may be your fish of a life time catch, with your lure. I do this kind of stuff all the time to show something new to the fish and it works very well for me. Good job!