Fished Tapps the last few days

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
BrianM
Petty Officer

Fished Tapps the last few days

Post by BrianM » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:35 pm

I went out to Tapps the last few days, one day with the boat and the other just off the dock and a causeway. I caught a bunch of smaller smallmouths (anywhere from 8-12"). I also caught a 4-5 12"-14". I just have a little 9' livingston with a trolling motor so I don't have a depth finder. It took me about 2 hours to finally get into fish. From what I had read, trolling fire tiger colored crankbaits was a good idea, but I didn't get one bite. I trolled all around bankers island and driftwood point. Once I finally decided to give it up I used a Hula Grub by Driftwood and got into a bunch of smallmouth. However, these were mostly smaller fish and only one at 13".

I also fished of the dock and actually caught more decent size fish in 30 minutes than I did that whole morning. I jigged the hula grub and caught quite a few in the 13" range.

I want one of those 4-5 pounders I see on here. Anyone have any suggestions? I am sure if I went back to the bridge by bankers and fished the hula grub I would have a better chance, but it is hard to find structure in deeper water without a depth finder.

Oh, by the way, my boat only has a 30lb thrust trolling motor so I can't move around too far. I did just fix my sea doo, so I might try that until I manage to make enough to buy a boat.

muskyhunter
Captain

RE:Fished Tapps the last few days

Post by muskyhunter » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:08 pm

Hey Brian,
Maybe sometime we can hook up and i can get you over some smallies. All the areas youve' written about are all great areas. If you are in your boat try fishing down the shoreline on the south side of the bridge. there is a nice drop off all along that shore. There is also a nice point at the south end of that same shoreline. With a channel that is right there. Right where the big house with the sand box on it. That whole area is pretty good. Goes from 3 feet to 30 ft. The fish seem to be about 15- 20 ft down. On the south end of Bankers there is a house (Brown and I think its vacant)missed a big Musky there too... From that point to the west...left all the way back to the bridge is good..10-15 ft of water. Oh the North side of the bridge left side, there is a nice cove...and a nice flat ,again with a channel hit that area. North side of Bankers, The house for sale with the totem pole and around the north side and around that point to where the red bouy is, Awesome area for big smallies. Driftwood is good too...watch for the stumps though...there is a flat that runs to the east of Driftwood about 200 yards out again about 15 ft then drops way down to over 50 ft. My buddy hit a 3lber out there in the spring...Watch where the ski boats go in and out. Thats where the channel is...hit the North side of it..hard. I generally throw dark colored 3 inch grubs and do pretty well..Remember though this lake is just loaded with dinks...So the big ones are hard to get...you may even want to throw 4 inch grubs with a 1/4 oz to 3/8 oz jig heads may work better...One more area..Bankers..there is a huge tree stump on the north side you can't miss it...on a point. across from the house with the Totem pole...goes from shallow to deep. Suprised the ski boats zip through there without ripping off their motors...All that area is really good..Just size up a little. Hope this helps. If you want to, pm me I'll give you my number and I'll show you some better spots.....Todd...NW Tiger Pac, Muskies Inc.
Todd Reis
Prostaff Auburn Sports & Marine
Musky Team
www.auburnsportsmarineinc.com
Fish Country Sporting Goods

Bill G
Petty Officer

Post by Bill G » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:43 am

Todd you make me proud I know you.
Bill
I'm not in the toilet yet, but I'm definitely standing on the rim.

BrianM
Petty Officer

Post by BrianM » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:10 pm

Thanks alot Todd! I will definitely pm you to get your number. However, I just got my first job coming out of college and I start monday. That will take a little hit on my fishing time. Oh well, I am sure I will still be out there. It is always fun trying to learn a new fishery. I didn't really start bass fishing until last year so I am learning pretty fast. I have the largemouths down alright, but smallie fishing takes a little different approach. Thanks again!

Brian

Bill G
Petty Officer

Post by Bill G » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:33 pm

New job, welcome to the real world it won't be long till you find that work gets in the way of every thing fun and really sucks also.
Bill
I'm not in the toilet yet, but I'm definitely standing on the rim.