My Bass Season In review ! What did you learn !

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
ryan2202
Warrant Officer

RE:My Bass Season In review ! What did you learn !

Post by ryan2202 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:04 am

I learned I need to get out more. Bass fishing this year was eatin' up by fly fishing and the rivers. One of these days I'll get out and flyfish for bass...that'll be great!
Ryan

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:06 pm

This awsome guyz keep it coming !!! :cheers:

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:11 am

This year was a banner year for me also,..although I didn't l boat any Bass over 6lbs I met almost all of my goals set from last season. My biggest this year was only 5.14 Bucketmouth,..nice Bass but my goal was 7lb Largie and 5lb Smallie,..I ended up 5.14 and 4.4 both great catches but not trophies. I hit more bodies of water this season then all my previous seasons combined which was awesome,..and learned that water is water,..look for the same structure you would on any body of water,..points-ridges-humps-flats and creek channels,..careful realistic presentations, proper mechanics and attention to detail,..it's all the same regardless if you're throwing an 8" SwimBait or wiggling a Senko on a D-Shot in 40' of water. I boated a ton of Bass both LMB and SMB in the 3+ to 5+ range and fished allot with some members form the site which was also my goal from last season. Next season I will be HOG-HUNTING in search of my Trophies more than I did this season. I bought a BassBoat this year and it has boosted my confidence in ways unimaginable,..already looking 2 upgrade even as I type this out,..LOL,..so all-n-all it was a great learning year for me and I'm looking forward to next Spring! Great topic Dez!

TGL-BB
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Passion-4-Bassin"

fishermen
Angler

Post by fishermen » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:59 am

I learned when fishing in a Bass tournament to just go fishing and not get rapped up in where everyone else is fishing. You can't fish to slow. The slower and more accurate my presentation the more bass I hooked.
Member - B.A.S.S
Life Member - NAFC

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:11 am

BassinBomber wrote:This year was a banner year for me also,..although I didn't l boat any Bass over 6lbs I met almost all of my goals set from last season. My biggest this year was only 5.14 Bucketmouth,..nice Bass but my goal was 7lb Largie and 5lb Smallie,..I ended up 5.14 and 4.4 both great catches but not trophies. I hit more bodies of water this season then all my previous seasons combined which was awesome,..and learned that water is water,..look for the same structure you would on any body of water,..points-ridges-humps-flats and creek channels,..careful realistic presentations, proper mechanics and attention to detail,..it's all the same regardless if you're throwing an 8" SwimBait or wiggling a Senko on a D-Shot in 40' of water. I boated a ton of Bass both LMB and SMB in the 3+ to 5+ range and fished allot with some members form the site which was also my goal from last season. Next season I will be HOG-HUNTING in search of my Trophies more than I did this season. I bought a BassBoat this year and it has boosted my confidence in ways unimaginable,..already looking 2 upgrade even as I type this out,..LOL,..so all-n-all it was a great learning year for me and I'm looking forward to next Spring! Great topic Dez!

TGL-BB
Sounds like a very productive season and similar to mine,except the majority of my bass were dinks
but still a blast. Congrats on the bass boat purchase.
Hopefully you and I can get some bass'n trips going when the weather warms again.

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:23 pm

kevinb wrote:
BassinBomber wrote:This year was a banner year for me also,..although I didn't l boat any Bass over 6lbs I met almost all of my goals set from last season. My biggest this year was only 5.14 Bucketmouth,..nice Bass but my goal was 7lb Largie and 5lb Smallie,..I ended up 5.14 and 4.4 both great catches but not trophies. I hit more bodies of water this season then all my previous seasons combined which was awesome,..and learned that water is water,..look for the same structure you would on any body of water,..points-ridges-humps-flats and creek channels,..careful realistic presentations, proper mechanics and attention to detail,..it's all the same regardless if you're throwing an 8" SwimBait or wiggling a Senko on a D-Shot in 40' of water. I boated a ton of Bass both LMB and SMB in the 3+ to 5+ range and fished allot with some members form the site which was also my goal from last season. Next season I will be HOG-HUNTING in search of my Trophies more than I did this season. I bought a BassBoat this year and it has boosted my confidence in ways unimaginable,..already looking 2 upgrade even as I type this out,..LOL,..so all-n-all it was a great learning year for me and I'm looking forward to next Spring! Great topic Dez!

TGL-BB
Sounds like a very productive season and similar to mine,except the majority of my bass were dinks
Hopefully you and I can get some bass'n trips going when the weather warms again.
Yea bro we're over due for that by all means,..as far as the dinks go,..they'll only get BIGGER bro,..trust me!

TGL-BB
"Passion-4-Bassin"

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:44 am

And just got one more piece for my bass hunting gear ... can't wait to get it out onto the water!
Attachments
SS_GoofTroop.JPG
SS_GoofTroop.JPG (157.8 KiB) Viewed 2179 times
'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:50 am

Bisk1tSnGraV wrote:And just got one more piece for my bass hunting gear ... can't wait to get it out onto the water!
That's a good looking boat. I need one similar to that some day.

I should introduce you to with my brother. He lives in Graham and goes bass fishing in the area and could show you around and help you. Let me know.

Do you still have that spinnerbait rod? You might have missed my questian in another thread a month ago.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

Interests: living

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:59 am

Got it for a great deal too! Yes Virgina there is a Sant Claus. Have to thank my wife for the early Christmas present!!!
'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.

islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:11 pm

Bisk1tSnGraV wrote:And just got one more piece for my bass hunting gear ... can't wait to get it out onto the water!
Wow! Nice boat! There is only one thing missing... You need me to tag along as a fishing partner. I know, it's tough, but someone's gotta to do it, and I volunteer. :cheers:

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:25 pm

BassinBomber wrote:
kevinb wrote:

TGL-BB
Yea bro we're over due for that by all means,..as far as the dinks go,..they'll only get BIGGER bro,..trust me!

TGL-BB
Way over due,now that BNG has a boat...he has invited us all aboard,he just hasn't told anyone yet:geek:

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:28 pm

kevinb wrote:
BassinBomber wrote:
kevinb wrote: Sounds like a very productive season and similar to mine,except the majority of my bass were dinks

TGL-BB
Way over due,now that BNG has a boat...he has invited us all aboard,he just hasn't told anyone yet:geek:
How many can he fit in that boat at the same time? Image Tanwax fishing tomorrow? Image Image
Tom.

Interests: living

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:45 pm

LOL!!! How many can we fit in and not drown? We have christened her the SS Goof Troop!

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:38 pm

Nice rig BnG,..looks like a Small Lake Killer there! You can use that and I'll follow in my Pontoon! LOL,..just say when and where bro!

TGL-BB
"Passion-4-Bassin"

marktfd88
Petty Officer

Post by marktfd88 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:14 pm

This years goals for myself were 3.
Make the Federation Nation team
Maket the TBF team
Win at least 1 ABA event
I managed 2 of the 3. I was close to making the Fed nation team but fell short with my performance at Banks lake in June. It wasn't that I didn't catch fish on Banks I just couldn't connect with any big ones. Setting goals for yourself is an important part of getting better. Without these goals to push and drive you in a direction, fishing becomes more luck than skill. Earlier in my development, I would work on specific techniques or presentations, don't get me wrong I still work on all aspects of my craft. But I find I improve more with specific goals to achieve. Everyone's goals should be tailored to themselves. Ask yourself this off season what you would like to achieve for next season, build a plan to make that goal, and build your fishing time around that plan.
Technique goals were:
Become better at frog fishing. Check
Become better at swimbaits. not checked
Learn how to swimshot / and flickshake. check
Since I only have one more tourney to compete in this winter, after that I will start working on my goals for next year. At the top of that list will be fishing my very best at the TBF divisionals. Notice that I didn't say win. Just fish to my very best abilities. I feel if I do that I will give myself a shot at winning. As a serious tournement fisherman, that's all I can ask of myself. The other goals I will set for myself I will develope later this winter.
Things I am considering for the list is:
Improve on my tournement performances. I had some BAD days on the water that I couldn't put much of anything together.
Improve on my prefish days. Not the numbers I catch, but learning how to read and react to the conditions giving to me for the tourney day.
Continue working on my pace of fishing. I tend to work to slow. It's a funny thing, learning how to fish slow faster.
Improve on my crankbait abilities. I love deep water cranks, but rarely throw them in shallow water. ( I need more shallow running cranks) my wife is going to love this. ( read $$$$ out the pocket)
I am cutting back on the number of tournies I will be fishing next year, ( I have a daughter in college ) so I will work on selecting fewer but more rewarding tournies to fish. Example would be that I love to fish the Silver Lake Open, but probadly will not fish it next year to concentrate on other priorities. But I am definitely fishing the Frostbite tourney, because it is a tourney that is very fun and usually financially rewarding to the pocket book.
So there you have it. Great topic Dez. See you in Montana bro
Mark
Limit Out Performance Marine
Powell Rods
P-Line
Owner Hooks

hookorcrook
Warrant Officer

Post by hookorcrook » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:20 pm

Well, this bass season, I learned how much I love salmon fishing. Doh! I won't slime up the bass board going on and on about them, but those pinks were fun to catch. For the first time in my life I actually penciled salmon onto my catch card. I never caught the coho I sought after, or a king, but I'm already planning for next year.

On to bass: I caught my first ever smallies this year, and did it using the drop shot which was also new to me. I finally learned how to use the senko, and caught fish on it. I caught my first bedding bass this year (once after first swimming right over one in my float tube. Double Doh!)

I met some great guys/fishermen in the Puget Sound float tube club (Aaron, Jay, Chris, Jerry, Rocky). I learned from Bassdude (Jerry) that I fish too slow, and that it's the male fish that doesn't commit :-"

Well, that's my story. Short and sweet. To next year... :cheers:
Suzanne

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:54 pm

OMG Suzanne! You had to throw in that "fish had to be a male, cuz it didn't commit" LMFAO! I always think about that. We need to salmon fish soon! SHHHHHH :-$ BTW..nice boat Jay!
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:03 am

hookorcrook wrote:Well, this bass season, I learned how much I love salmon fishing. Doh! I won't slime up the bass board going on and on about them, but those pinks were fun to catch. For the first time in my life I actually penciled salmon onto my catch card. I never caught the coho I sought after, or a king, but I'm already planning for next year.

On to bass: I caught my first ever smallies this year, and did it using the drop shot which was also new to me. I finally learned how to use the senko, and caught fish on it. I caught my first bedding bass this year (once after first swimming right over one in my float tube. Double Doh!)

I met some great guys/fishermen in the Puget Sound float tube club (Aaron, Jay, Chris, Jerry, Rocky). I learned from Bassdude (Jerry) that I fish too slow, and that it's the male fish that doesn't commit :-"

Well, that's my story. Short and sweet. To next year... :cheers:

I also had allot of fun catching the Salmon,..Iv'e done it before but not quite like this time,..looking 4ward 2 next year for this also,..about the "Male Committing",..2 funny,..had me laughing pretty hard for a minute! Good 1 Hook!

TGL-BB
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Passion-4-Bassin"

kickerfish
Petty Officer

Post by kickerfish » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:43 pm

Well I have learned that you can not catch fish in the desert (been in Kuwait for 6 months) and as each day passes by here I yearn to get back on the water. So keep the posts coming as I am fishing vicariously through all of you. My goals for next year will be vast. Will be home right after the spawn, think my first stop will be Silver Lake for some froggin action.

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:09 am

kickerfish wrote:Well I have learned that you can not catch fish in the desert (been in Kuwait for 6 months) and as each day passes by here I yearn to get back on the water. So keep the posts coming as I am fishing vicariously through all of you. My goals for next year will be vast. Will be home right after the spawn, think my first stop will be Silver Lake for some froggin action.
Stay safe Kicker,..and get back here and Slay-Em-At-Silver!

BB
"Passion-4-Bassin"