New Purchase

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

New Purchase

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:07 am

I am looking to get a new rod that will be mainly for dropshotting ... my budget is limited so for the rod and reel I have about $150 for the complete setup. So with that, I am looking for a rod around the $90 price tag. Here are the two that I have been looking at ...

Wright & McGill Tessera 7'2"
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpageWNMSR-WMTSR.html

St Croix Mojo Bass MBS68MXF or MBS69MLXF
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpage ... CMJSR.html
* Note: I can get this one at Cabelas for $90

Let me know what you guys think of the two and is this a good direction for me to go?
'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.

tnj8222
Admiral

RE:New Purchase

Post by tnj8222 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:39 pm

Since its for drop shotting I would spend the whole 150 on the rod. I'm sure you got a extra spinning reel don't ya? If your drop shotting you are finesse fishing and want to feel the lightest tap. Although I have caught a lot of smallies drop shotting with a 20 dollar cherrywood.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

bassmasterderek
Commander

Post by bassmasterderek » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:32 pm

Jay,
I relize I already told you that I was done with the forums but since you my dogg and it involves money from your pocket. Let me add something here.

I was amazed at the rod that I picked up for drop shotting. The sensitivity is second to none. On the other hand if you are wanting a DS set-up a reel needs to be just as important. Smallies pack a good fight we all know that, so I really would also consider a good real as well. With smallies you will definately want a good, reliable drag system which can be hard to come across in lower end reels.

Just something else to consider before you make your decision. I know how tackle can add up and new equipment is hard to spend on making your choices limited so good luck and hope I can help you get the skunk off your new drop shot setup when you get it.
BMD

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:22 am

bassmasterderek wrote:Jay,.
I relize I already told you that I was done with the forums but since you my dogg and it involves money from your pocket. Let me add something here.

I was amazed at the rod that I picked up for drop shotting. The sensitivity is second to none. On the other hand if you are wanting a DS set-up a reel needs to be just as important. Smallies pack a good fight we all know that, so I really would also consider a good real as well. With smallies you will definately want a good, reliable drag system which can be hard to come across in lower end reels.

Just something else to consider before you make your decision. I know how tackle can add up and new equipment is hard to spend on making your choices limited so good luck and hope I can help you get the skunk off your new drop shot setup when you get it.
BMD
any shimano reel should have a great drag system. I wouldn't pay more than 50 bucks Max on a spinning reel.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4

bassmasterderek
Commander

Post by bassmasterderek » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:24 pm

You know what TNJ your right and when he is using light line and he hooks up with his new personal best smallie and breaks off because of a faulty or sticky drag then he will realize a better reel would have been wise.

Guys this is the end for me in the forums. I will post reports every now and then and will check pm's other than that BMD OUT FOR GOOD!!!!!!!!!!:-({|=

flippinfool
Commander

Post by flippinfool » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:55 pm

:-({|=
bassmasterderek wrote:You know what TNJ your right and when he is using light line and he hooks up with his new personal best smallie and breaks off because of a faulty or sticky drag then he will realize a better reel would have been wise.

Guys this is the end for me in the forums. I will post reports every now and then and will check pm's other than that BMD OUT FOR GOOD!!!!!!!!!!:-({|=
YEAH I AM IN THE SAME BOAT BMD IAM DONE HERE FOR GOOD ALSO .I WONT BE CHECKIN REPORTS OR PMS CUZ I REALLY DONT CARE!I FOUND A PLACE WITH PEOPLE THAT DONT SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF!:-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :cheers: :cheers: :-$ WA:fish:
LIVE LIFE DONT LET LIFE LIVE YOU GO FISHIN!!!!!!!!

REDDOGG
Angler

Post by REDDOGG » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:19 pm

Ya i thought this was going to be a great site!!WA:fish: Way better..seeya all over there..They got Ron Hobbs JR..Talk about GREAT STIX there..:salut: :salut: :batman: :-({|= :-({|= :-& :spiderman =d> Use to be good about 5 years ago anyways#-o
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:55 pm

bassmasterderek wrote:You know what TNJ your right and when he is using light line and he hooks up with his new personal best smallie and breaks off because of a faulty or sticky drag then he will realize a better reel would have been wise.

Sometimes I don't get you guys, don't see why your frustrated. shimano does have really good drag systems. From now on I will only recomend steez reels than nobody will get butt hurt, which I still don't know why you did.
Anthony

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:30 pm

bassmasterderek wrote:Jay,

BMD
Thanks Derek ... some good things to think about as I am researching the purchase. It is hard to get the best of both worlds on the limited budget. With your guys advice I will try and get the best balance of the rod and reel that I can.
'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.

fishismylif
Petty Officer

Post by fishismylif » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:19 pm

washingtonlakes.com is gay

islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:55 am

Given your choices, the Skeet Reese model seems the most intriguing.

However, do not overlook our local lamiglas. I saw a bunch of Lamiglas Competitor rods at the sports store in the super mall that are suited for drop shotting at about $89 or so, and I think Sportco or OE might have them for just a little cheaper.

The CS 661 or 681 should be fine choices for your price. At $89 give or take a bit, that leaves $61 for the reel and that is plenty good for spinning reel. Sonora or Sahara is going to be more than adequate.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

noxcape
Petty Officer

Post by noxcape » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:52 am

for drop shotting im using a shimano crucial drop shot rod and a wavespin reel and i love it i can feel everything and because of the wavespin reel i never get the annoying line curl when im using lighter types or drop shot baits jsut my opinion but you shoudl try them out for a combo its really nice

Desertcreek
Warrant Officer

Post by Desertcreek » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:35 am

I would have to agere with TNJ on both accounts. The reel isn't as critical and why would a guy get so upset about somone disagreeing with him. Some drags are better than others but if you learn to back reel (which you should be doing on big fish) the drag becomes a lot less important. In addition to that the reel will be irrelevant if you never feel the bite and don't get the hook set.

You can get all the reel you will need for $50.00 particularly if you are buying a Shimano. I used the Sedona for a long time with no issues. I would still be using it if I hadn't dropped it over the rail in 60 feet of water.

Desertcreek
Warrant Officer

Post by Desertcreek » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:37 am

I am literally crying after reading this. How will we ever survive without you?

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:46 pm

I say get what feels best to you in your budget. Your rod and reel are not going to make the fish bite. Some the biggest fish I've ever caught were with a $19 Diawa rod and a second hand Ambassador 5000 reel at $25. I'm not talking about those little bass fish either. You can always buy a new rod and reel when there is no budget, I found the budget a lot easier when the kids were grown and out of the house. Till that point the gear was selected by budget with a big dose of wishing and lots of shopping. If I can drag in a 35#+ King and a 50#+ Butt in one summer on the aformentioned gear, I'm sure it doesn't take anything special to yard in a little 5# bass. Line size and let the rod do the work.

My two cents. That's the way it is. Flame on!
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Coastfishin
Commander

Post by Coastfishin » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:53 pm

Bodofish wrote:I say get what feels best to you in your budget. Your rod and reel are not going to make the fish bite. Some the biggest fish I've ever caught were with a $19 Diawa rod and a second hand Ambassador 5000 reel at $25. I'm not talking about those little bass fish either. You can always buy a new rod and reel when there is no budget, I found the budget a lot easier when the kids were grown and out of the house. Till that point the gear was selected by budget with a big dose of wishing and lots of shopping. If I can drag in a 35#+ King and a 50#+ Butt in one summer on the aformentioned gear, I'm sure it doesn't take anything special to yard in a little 5# bass. Line size and let the rod do the work.

My two cents. That's the way it is. Flame on!
I agree, Buy what you can afford! I don't think I have a rod and reel that cost over $75.00 and I catch a few fish:-"

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:03 pm

I would agree, it's not the quality of the rod/reel it's the skill of the operator (Snoppy rods excluded)

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:29 pm

Cool ... great advice everybody. Now I just need to go through all my nots and not let the voices in his head cause too much trouble.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:38 pm

What are you gonna do with that spinning rod with the spinnerbait on it that was at the picnic?
Tom.

Interests: living