What do you get out of your bass club?

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:38 am

So my schedule is much like anyone elses here,BUSY but I've been seriously
kicking around the idea of joining a club for well over a year now. I still find
myself with a bit of a full plate with launching my musky club 'C.M.A' but have especially
fallen in love(thats cheesy) with bass fishing all over again.
I don't see myself doing to many tourneys but I'm sure I would attend a few.
I'm looking at more "family" oriented groups,if there is such a thing. Meeting new
folks and tips. Are their any clubs that give back to the community? projects etc?
Are their any cons of being a member of a bass club?

Sorry for so many questions...I'm just curious as to what is out there.

bassmasterderek
Commander

RE:What do you get out of your bass club?

Post by bassmasterderek » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:52 am

Kevin,
I can't speak for other clubs but for CCBC we help with the trout derby for kids annually at longs pond in lacey. Our club has also volunteered at Cabelas to help answer customer questions. As for the benefits of being in a club. This was my first year in a club and since I have met new fishermen to BS with and have learned allot from them. And on top of that I committ myself to all the tournaments in our club so I have fished new waters. Most clubs are team-based so you would have to find a partner or a boater looking for a partner to join a club. I have enjoyed the last year being in our club.

In my opinion it would be hard to committ on your kind of schedule. Personally I would not join the club if I could not committ to every event.
BMD

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:44 pm

BMD im gonna have to disagree with you on one part of your reply "dont commit if you cant fish all events" ...Our club only requires that you fish 5 tourneys and remain in the top ten in standings to make the Clubs State team 5 boaters 5 non boaters ! All of this revolves around the laws and bi-laws of your personal club .Our club host 7 events, There are a few guys that only fish one or two events in the entire year . As long as you pay your membership fee it's good all year for any event (in most cases) ...

Now talking about joining a bass club in general is something i would suggest to any bass angler that it looking to rate there skillset against other anglers . The Benifit behind this is that your fishing tourneys without the cost of a entry fee . In most cases a member has a option to enter the money pot . This fee can be anywhere from 20-30 bucks top ! Not to mention the vast amount of knowledge that your club members share as a group . I say put the time to research the lakes that each club fish , the distance between your house and where the club meets every month , and the quality of anglers that repersents the club as a whole .

I cant honestly say that there isn't "any" bad clubs here in washington. But in respect to what i personaly think , there are what i refer to as "THE ELITE" clubs around and im happy to be a member of one . :-"

BBD

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:51 pm

BBD. What club do you belong to? If you don't want to answer, that is fine. Or you can PM me if ya want. Just wondering in case I can ever afford to be a member of a club again.

I use to belong to the Kent Bassmasters, and was on the state team a couple years back in the early '90s.
Tom.

Interests: living

ChrisB
Captain

Post by ChrisB » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:19 pm

BMD is in the CCBC- Capital City Bass Club.

I'll agree, Dez is in one of the better clubs in the area, alot of great fisherman in that club.

Kevin, I know you've already met some of the Western Guys, we would be happy to have you as a member. Our club is more family oriented, and we like to think that we share more info than other clubs do. You won't get any secret spots outta people, but you get the point. Our meetings are in Renton, and if you don't know our website send me a PM.
You don't need to make all the events, but making the meetings will help you meet more people and get familiar with faces if you make a tournament. Our club works with the Cast 4 Kids foundation twice a year, and we have a booth at the Puyallup Sportsman Show every year.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aka Powerworm

2000subaru
Commander

Post by 2000subaru » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:31 pm

+1 for Western.

I can not make too many meetings, or tourneys for that fact, but I have met so many good people. No pressure for participation in events, family is included in the membership fee (under $50) and our swap meet meetings are awesome!

BrianB
Petty Officer

Post by BrianB » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:01 am

I've pretty much made the decision to join a club. I've got all the "stuff," but need some assistance in putting my stuff on the fish. So, my primary reason for joining a club is to expand my knowledge of bass fishing. A close second would be networking with likeminded (obsessed) individuals... Like KevinB, I need to find a family friendly club since my wife enjoys fishing as much as I do. Western's all-inclusive membership fee is a big plus - they also have a great website. I guess I need to pull the trigger and attend a meeting or two at one of the four clubs in my area.

A question about joining a club as a non-boater vs. a boater: I own a boat - it's old and not that fancy, but it gets the job done. I'm more than willing ante up my boat, but I don't think I have the skills/knowledge to consistently put it on the fish - my back-seater would definitely be at a disadvantage. I'd need someone more skilled to ride along with me. Would I be better off starting as a non-boater in order to learning from more experienced anglers? Recommendations?

Thanks, Brian

2000subaru
Commander

Post by 2000subaru » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:13 pm

Some clubs can pair you up with more advance anglers like an Ambassador program. That is a good way to learn from some people. Just meeting like minded people and setting up a day to meet at the lake could get you going too. Fish-in's, a club day where people head to a certain lake and fish together, give you a chance to back seat with another person and learn things first hand. It takes all types of people and boats of all conditions to fish. Not everyone has to have the newest and best....remember, the boat doesn't catch the fish...you do.

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:15 am

Amx wrote:BBD. What club do you belong to? If you don't want to answer, that is fine. Or you can PM me if ya want. Just wondering in case I can ever afford to be a member of a club again.

I use to belong to the Kent Bassmasters, and was on the state team a couple years back in the early '90s.

Puyallup HawgHunters !! :batman:

Dobyns Rods

Panic Minnow

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:19 am

I've heard that is a good club. A friend who was a member asked me to join that one. He died a couple years ago.
Tom.

Interests: living

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:45 pm

Thanks for the replies. Its much appreciated..
CCBC was one of the first one's I looked at....it looks like an awesome club but
it might be to hard for me to as active in this one.

Hey Chris,glad you mentioned Western..not sure how but I kind of forgot about this club.
This sounds like a club I would be very much interested in. I met a few of your members at our
combo musky/bass fishin at Tapps and they represented the fishery and the club very well.(Good People)
with the exception of Subaru...he tried to stab me but it may have been justified:-"

basschazer
Petty Officer

Post by basschazer » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:45 pm

what are some of the clubs around the spokane area?
my bad.. i thought when you said "do whatever you want" you meant that it was cool i went fishing. maybe you shouldn't use sarcasm.

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:02 pm

basschazer wrote:what are some of the clubs around the spokane area?
River runners !! Awsome club !!

Dobyns Rods

Panic Minnow

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:16 pm

Puget Sound Float Tube Club ... those dudes rock!!!
'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.

DRGREENTHUMB
Angler

Post by DRGREENTHUMB » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:38 pm

Bisk1tSnGraV wrote:Puget Sound Float Tube Club ... those dudes rock!!!
Do they paddle in the 60's?:cheers:

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:46 pm

Hmmmmm ..no but they can get into a small lake or beaver pond that has no boat launch or even a road leading to it.
'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:22 pm

Bisk1tSnGraV wrote:Puget Sound Float Tube Club ... those dudes rock!!!
+1 :thumleft: :thumleft:
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:42 am

Yes,the float tube club has cool dudes!
That club has crossed my mind a few times but I'm looking at fishing from the boat more
often and I might have some concerns with getting Brett and the Mrs. to participate
in a tube. I know I would be game though.

The club giving back thing isn't a make or break but speaks volumes to me.
I'm a firm believer of giving back/and making better communities.

Desertcreek
Warrant Officer

Post by Desertcreek » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:55 pm

Bigbass Dez wrote:
basschazer wrote:what are some of the clubs around the spokane area?
River runners !! Awsome club !!
If you consider Olympia and Bellingham in close proximity then you you will be very happy with the distance betweeen Spokane and the River Runners Bass Club which is located in Kennewick. It's only 135 miles from Spokane. There is a club in Spokane and it is called Inland Empire Bass Club. I am not a member but I know some of those guys and they seem to be good dudes.

SPARKY101
Captain

Post by SPARKY101 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:47 pm

I have heard that one should join as a nonboater,then u would possibly be getting to fish with a couple different people and learn different ways "possibly".I know as far as CCBC goes i think its more of just a challenge"against each other" as we are team oriented.So i have learned more from fishing outside of my club with guys who have helped me along the way and i know iam a better angler now than 2 years ago so that is a plus..
Member:Capital City Bass Club

Team OLYBOYZ

http://s477.photobucket.com/albums/rr135/sparky240v/