Interesting

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
fishingmachine
Admiral

Interesting

Post by fishingmachine » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:43 pm

So i was out yesterday fishing with the gf on my great smallmouth lake and we caught 21 between us all dinks but we were also out there with ipodrodder and he landed a beauty 4lb 3ounce smallie and when i was getting the weight i noticed its belly. It was fat as can be. Do u think the fish had a huge meal or was the fish a female and still full of eggs. The fish was caught in 20 -25 feet of water

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:Interesting

Post by Amx » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:45 pm

Some bass will still spawn in July or Aug., could be either. Did you feel the belly to see if it was hard like a crawfish or minnow, or sorta soft like egs?
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

Interests: living

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:53 pm

No i didnt i should have though.
If it was a meal i can almost guarantee it was full of crayfish

tagwatson360
Commander

Post by tagwatson360 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:38 pm

Hey FM,

My guess is this smallmouth was a postspawn fish on the summer feed. Are there kokanee, juvenile trout, yellow perch and scuplin in the lake? It could be gorging itself on those forage items as well, in addition to crayfish.

iPodrodder
Commodore

Post by iPodrodder » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:38 pm

I felt the fish and its stomach was too lumpy and hard to be full of eggs. Also, it was really fat but more in a football way than a bloated-stomach-of-eggs way.

Tag, there is a very healthy population of crayfish and a bunch of perch and trout in the lake.