Roosevelt Smallmouth

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
North River
Angler

Roosevelt Smallmouth

Post by North River » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:48 pm

I'm heading over to Roosevelt for a 3 day trip. I haven't fished for bass or walleye in probably 20 years. I used to fish Roosevelt every summer and had a general idea what I was doing,not so much anymore.

If you were fishing up near Seven Bays and Porcupine,where would you go to get into some fish?

The last timeI was there,the Smallies were thick and just about everywhere. Jigs and bottom walkers worked excellent. Same thing still apply?

Anglinarcher
Admiral

RE:Roosevelt Smallmouth

Post by Anglinarcher » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:13 pm

This year the water is at full pool, plus a little I think #-o , so it is also a few degrees cooler then normal. Nevertheless, the Smallies are just as thick as always, and so are the Walleye.

You might find that, depending on just when you go, that the fish are a little behind schedule so far this year.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

mav186
Commander

Post by mav186 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:13 pm

Hey NR...AA's right about the temp and level. I have ALWAYS had good luck w/ the SM by casting a jig tipped w/ worm, toward any rock structure...rocks hold the heat. Wallys...worm harness w/ bottom bouncer try anywhere in 10'-25' on the bottom. Have fun- Mav

fishismylif
Petty Officer

Post by fishismylif » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:33 pm

you shouldnt have a problem catching 100+ 11 inchers this time of year. finding the bigger fish why be your biggest challenge. good luck!

Desertcreek
Warrant Officer

Post by Desertcreek » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:39 pm

I fished the river over the 4th. The bigger fish are harder to come by for sure but the Spokane arm held a few over 2.5. I focused on big flats in the mornings, skipped the middle part of the day, and fished the evenings on some of those same flats. I caught most of my fish on traps in the morning and moved out farther on the flats mid-morning and cught them on tubes and jerk baits. I caught about a dozen walleye on Friday and every one of them was an accident. I think if you were to target them you could do really well. I went all the way up to Little Falls dam on Friday but I think bouy 5 would be about as far as I would go if I were to go again. Good Luck1

ChrisB
Captain

Post by ChrisB » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:41 pm

I am fishing Roosevelt all weekend for a club T, wish me luck as well. Never been there :eye:
aka Powerworm