Putting some thought into your question

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Drewp
Commander

RE:Putting some thought into your question

Post by Drewp » Wed May 13, 2009 8:17 am

You seem to be contradicting yourself when you say you wouldn't share details regarding steelhead/salmon fishing or hunting, but then expect exactly that about bass info. But, I smell ya, Meatloaf. I just have one question:

So what do you cure your eggs with? :eye: JK
"My fingers smell fishy and I like it."

Desertcreek
Warrant Officer

Post by Desertcreek » Wed May 13, 2009 8:55 am

This is precisely why I hate text and also why most guys don't even bother. It is so easy to be misunderstood unless you are a professional journalist and even then the message is only going to be received in the manner the reader wants to receive it. I think some of you guys are misunderstanding my point. First off my short stint as a guide was as a FLY FISHING GUIDE for trout. I couldn't, with a clear consience, take money from somone who was hoping to have a great day on the lake bass fishing. I have a hard enough time trying to find my own fish and manage my own expectations. We all have different motivations for what we are into. There are 2 things that I don't have to set my alarm clock to get my sorry butt out of bed at 3:00 am to do. Hunting white tails with a bow and tournament fishing. I guess I'm not sure how those motivations affect how we can learn from one another. The point I was trying to make was only from my own personal exrerience and I may have done a poor job at prefacing that. That point is, IN MY OPINION, those guys that are holding all those Donkey's in the pictures all the time are probably more accomplished anglers. They may also be guides or tournament anglers ( professionals). They may also have a different opinion of sharing information and so it might be of some help to attempt to gain some of that information in a different manner than a direct approach. Have any of you guys ever seen Tag's photo album. I have and it is absolutley obscene the number of giant bass he has in it. I'll bet if we took all of those fish and gave each member on this bass forum one of those fish and there are enough for each of us to have one, we would all have a new personal best. Sorry to bring you into this Tag, I don't even know you. Now suppose Tag posts another of those pigs on this board tomorrow and he doesn't give you specific location and bait. Does that mean you can't learn something from Tag that will help you build your phot album? It doesn't take long to figure out who the best stick are even when you are new. I have spent the last 2 years trying to figure out what makes those guys different. I feel like I am beginning to understand that now and I am simply just sharing what I am learning as I go. A guy recently busted my balls about being a lurker and not a contibutor. I personally didn't feel like I had a lot to contribute but I told him when I came up with something of value I would post it. There is plenty of lake specific bait specific stuff on here all the time and that stuff helps absolutely. I was attempting to bring a big picture thought process that might help anglers on every lake during all seasons rather than just Saturday at Lake Washington from noon till 6:00. I am sorry if I offended any one. BTW I am not one of those secrect keepers but more are than you think.

davidwat1
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by davidwat1 » Wed May 13, 2009 9:05 am

racfish wrote:Im with Fish and Meatloaf on this.You first mentioned you were a guide.That allready says it and that you immediately said you got into tournaments.Bottom line is you fish for the money.Dont want to share with others,dont do it.Why come on a forum like this?I'm just getting into bass fishing and love the info these members give me.Seeing we for the most part all do C&R were not depleting the fish population so why not share info.I dont fish to make a living.I fish for fun.
Wait a minute guys. Since when did being a guide and a tournament angler become a 4 letter word? You should understand that 99.9% of the tournament guys who fish out here definitely aren't making a living at it! There are a few who consistently cash checks there is no doubt about that, but the majority of us (definitely me) are in it for the comraderie and the competition, but aren't ever going to have a remote chance of making enough to justify not having a full time job, to support an insanely expensive hobby. The guide thing may be different for those who are able to do it fulltime, but for those of us who do it on a part time basis, again it's mostly because we enjoy teaching others about this sport that we love, we enjoy watching others catch fish, and we enjoy being on the water every second we can! I agree with your comment about being on a forum like this if you aren't going to share. I think you'll find even the most hardcore tournament guys take a lot of pride in helping others and for the most part are willing to share just as much detail and possibly even more than you find in your non-tournament reports. Your livewell question post stated you wanted to get into tournament fishing because it looked like alot of fun. It is, but for the majority of us, it's not necessarily skill that got us into tournament fishing, it's the desire to compete directly against others who have that same intense passion, and it's the willingness and capability to shell out $200+ bucks in tournament entry fees to do something that many can just go and do for free. I hope you follow your passion and do get into tournament fishing, but trust me when I say the bottom line is not about making money. Tight lines! - Dave
http://www.WatkinsBassfishing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sponsor WashingtonLakes.com

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed May 13, 2009 9:11 am

I see your point now DC. I'm not a tourney fisherperson but I'd love to try.I want to do tourneys just cuz on TV it looks fun.I'm into having fun when fishing.Like me my gear is old and crusty .But it works.Thats my requirements for fishing.I read what peeps write in forums. I filter the info I read. Some I heed some I dont.I know if I'm gonna go try a certain type of fishing i come in here to ask questions.I've been to other sites and see how they get tight lipped about the fishing and the How Too's. I love this site because I trust the anglers in here for their valuable info they share.I'm no rocket scientist and my memory retention sucks.I may ask the same question 5 times. Everytime I ask I get the info I need and I appreciate it. If I seemed to be a %$@# I'm sorry. I kinda say what I feel about stuff and I'm no journalist to compose my wording correctly. Good luck to all ALWAYS.Tight lines and good hunting.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Desertcreek
Warrant Officer

Post by Desertcreek » Wed May 13, 2009 9:18 am

Dave,

I have 3 really close buddies that are still full time guides and there are days when I would throw away everything I have and go back to it just for the "lifestyle". I can't because I have a wife and 3 kids and you can't support a family on guides wages. The common denominator in this equation is the fish. The variable is why we fish. I happen to have been both a guide and now a tournament angler and both were for different reasons.Tournament fishing is even more difficult to make a decent living at than guiding. At least when you book a trip as a guide you know you will make more than you spend. I have learned more about bass from tournament anglers hwo give me very little specific information than I do every dock owner I have trolled past that was more than willing to tell me everything he knows and is probably being completely honest.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Wed May 13, 2009 9:36 am

:-" First post up that Tourney Bass tub of yours and your Mug in them = then some Bucket= heads from doing!:-$

I will also add this is a Sportsman Fourm PASS THE CUPCAKES:-$

I will put as much information on how to get it done for others and where without zero Fear and still outfish the Group = 1-5 percent catch all the real fish not 10 percent:-$

Fear is a big Zero , giving and providing this information to all is a Gift and guys who don't like it turn the page:-$ PLEASE DO they don't like it due to getting it done on a PC Blasting Folks is far easier with words then setting the bar on the waters and pictures!=;

Guys blast me 24-7 on Bonics:cyclopsan and these same guys can't spell fish!:-& :-#

Is some of it Bragging Heck YES:bounce:
Jocks , sportsman Real ones:cyclopsan are cut from differnt DNA:thumright :viking:

At least a few are8-[

Writing long scrip's on belives and systems have at it!:colors:

The bottom line Hate you will never be Great :-#

Fear you will stay in the little Black box and providing and doing and sharing all will provide a Reflexion I personally Seak:thumleft:

Mid July with Gods Grace I will show more showtime and not leave the inland sound and many will be on these adventures to A-Z on how to get it done!

Tides, locations, baits, brines, gear needed and more and there will be 3 DVD's made from this journey.

Kings, Cohos and stinks I mean Pinks

Bass guys there is zero select clubs I had a Ranger a Skeeter and more before age 25:cheers:
I traveled far and wide so what each passions and choices are the anglers and that's the respect.

I don't fish any Spiny Ray a guy post a hogzilla I am the 1st guy to chime in on Great job and fish on!!!:cheers: :chef:

It's about the whole show and the few naildrivers and finishers in many styles and applications of fishing and I am a expert flats F= Key expert YES as well and never wrote a word on that process why I am not pressing those waters anymore could I/Flatline the Keys for bonefish, sharks and more! :viking: :thumleft:

I don't care what guys in general think that is a weakness God is my hero and will stay mine and Kids we save from Goofs that Morons could not care for and threw away ![-x

So the information Hotline stays at least mine as I fear not one man Period or Group want some come get some:-$ thats the attitude that saved me for 1 more RD and season at least so far!!!

Post up that Tourney boat and options, Bucketheads and your Mug in themo:)

The Reflexion sets you Free and to all press and ask for more, that builds a lifework bench that will last much longer then JUST WORDS on a PC!!!

BATTER UP!!!:viking: ](*,)

The Future is kids making better choices and providing them a path to make that choice as the world changes and rewards gang Bangers:batman: and worse not aging sick Viking Warriors who still Roar at times that game will end but not from anyone person like fish the risk never outweighs the Reward! :-$ :viking:
Attachments
PICT0327.JPG
PICT0327.JPG (69.14 KiB) Viewed 2595 times
PICT0111.JPG
PICT0111.JPG (31.42 KiB) Viewed 2597 times
Domination_day_one_and_2-07aa.jpg
Domination_day_one_and_2-07aa.jpg (76.43 KiB) Viewed 2598 times

mav186
Commander

Post by mav186 » Wed May 13, 2009 9:48 am

Bigbass Dez wrote:THERE IS A GREAT FEATURE ON HERE CALLED "PM" .. this allows personal one on one emails . Keep in mind when dealing with tourney anglers , we dont mind sharing the info but what we are tring to advoid is letting the guys who we compete against know our pin point game plan that can come back to bite us during a tourney .. How did he find that spot ? how does he know about that bait ? But i will bet my bottom dollar and im living proof of it that if someone sends me a pm on here that been an active member i have shared my best baits and spots at a drop of a dime . I encourage anglers with experience to get on this site thats what we need more of .

I get tired sometime reading the same questions about the same lake and seeing the same answers ! guys like DC & David bring a new breath of fresh air and i welcome them both !!

Thanks to all on here that has made a difference in another anglers life !! I would like to here from some of the anglers that has improved there skill set just by being a member on this site , let these guys share how it's done (it's your turn to give back) :batman:
I’m with ya Dez! And while we’re all sharing lil tidbits…I’ll give a shout-out to Dez (I know he won’t mind). :-" My personal experience is that if anyone wants to know anything about trout fishing… Dez is the man. From my personal experience…the information and details he shares is truly amazing!! :bom: I really believe he’s a true troutster…in a bass disguise!! :batman: I really do appreciate all the information posted here and try to contribute what I can as well. I have nothing to hide. DC is right…it is easy to be misunderstood though…I suppose it comes with the territory. Keep up the great threads!
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed May 13, 2009 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Wed May 13, 2009 10:39 am

mav186 wrote:
Bigbass Dez wrote:THERE IS A GREAT FEATURE ON HERE CALLED "PM" .. this allows personal one on one emails . Keep in mind when dealing with tourney anglers , we dont mind sharing the info but what we are tring to advoid is letting the guys who we compete against know our pin point game plan that can come back to bite us during a tourney .. How did he find that spot ? how does he know about that bait ? But i will bet my bottom dollar and im living proof of it that if someone sends me a pm on here that been an active member i have shared my best baits and spots at a drop of a dime . I encourage anglers with experience to get on this site thats what we need more of .

I get tired sometime reading the same questions about the same lake and seeing the same answers ! guys like DC & David bring a new breath of fresh air and i welcome them both !!

Thanks to all on here that has made a difference in another anglers life !! I would like to here from some of the anglers that has improved there skill set just by being a member on this site , let these guys share how it's done (it's your turn to give back) :batman:
I’m with ya Dez! And while we’re all sharing lil tidbits…I’ll give a shout-out to Dez (I know he won’t mind). :-" My personal experience is that if anyone wants to know anything about trout fishing… Dez is the man. From my personal experience…the information and details he shares is truly amazing!! :bom: I really believe he’s a true troutster…in a bass disguise!! :batman: I really do appreciate all the information posted here and try to contribute what I can as well. I have nothing to hide. DC is right…it is easy to be misunderstood though…I suppose it comes with the territory. Keep up the great threads!

MAV YOU ARE TOO FUNNY MAN ! CANT WAIT TO MEET YA BRO ! And dont forget Pink marshmellow, 1/32 once sinker , 40ft of water and last but not least BE A LINER WATCHER it gonna take about 5min for that bait to hit the bottom .. :-#

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed May 13, 2009 10:43 am

Swede you got that right.Its all about the smiles the comradery.This site rocks for no other reason that the members share all they know.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Wed May 13, 2009 11:17 am

There are more avenues available other than waiting on Taggy to tell us how and where he get those pigs . Tag is good friend of mine and i can tell ya first hand like others can as well that he will share tons of info with ya (so have you ever ask him?) My problem with the dude is that he is sooo freaking smart about bass fishing that his converstion are way over my head alot of times ..lol but back to the point here

This thread kinda reminds me of the bass club i belong to . When you fish with different guys on many lakes , thats how you learn . Sometimes thats not always option , My first year in my club here in washington I fished on 6 diferent lakes that i had never touched in my life . I managed to have a great year a that put me in the top ten standings in one the best clubs in this state . Well i say that to say that it wasnt a thread that help me, it wasnt a bait that another guy suggested , it was my attention to detail and spending time on the water that proveils me , period . Too be frank with ya , i try my best to stay away from the baits and areas that are called community holes and go to baits . That put limits on my success on the lake . How cool would it be to get out on the lake and fish water that you have never touched and use a bait that you have used before that lands you a trophey Bass ! Im my book thats what seperates the leaders from the followers . Some of my best results in a tourney came from doing something different than the rest . Do wanna know what i doing ? do you wanna know where and why i fish that point ? I bet you do and others as well , but the next time i re vistit that hole and see your boat there throwing my bait , I feel really proud of myself and hope you catch a bigger one than me "NOT" . Come on man get real bro , thats not gonna happen and if thats all guys are looking for here this is the wrong place .

Instead you may read a report that says i was fishing a point just north of 520 throwing cranks in 25' of water and the water temp was 52 . I tell guys all the time when i first fish with them , dont be afraid to go to your honey holes , im not out here to "take" that from you . Im mainly concerned with all the factors that makes that spot good . From that i start thinking about different parts of the lake that offers the same components and i will say to myself i cant wait to visit those areas based on what the fish are doing on this guys spot ! tons of water , tons of baits , it's soley up to me as a competive angler to fiqure it out .

My grandad and uncles taught me how to fish when i was younger , today i am 10 times better than i was at that time . That didnt come from me being a spot robber or a bait junkie ! It took years and years of trail and error to get there and thats something that is near an dear to my heart ! im proud to say that i wasnt giving skill set , i learned it from the ground up !

the question you gotta ask yourself is , Who will be a better angler in the future KVD'S son or one of KVD'S fans ? I expect to see lil KVD in the future hold'n the torch not one of the anglers that spoke with him at a siminar for 5 min and ask about his favorite bait and how to use them ..lol

Information is power ! Imformation is expensive ! what can you offer me in return besides a pic on the trophey board siting on my spot ! :-({|=

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Wed May 13, 2009 11:21 am

Thats why I do it, for fun. I may ask alot of questions, but most of what I fish for are Bass and Musky... C&R fish.

Why would I want the answers sooner rather than fish for 10 years to finally get a clue? Maybe because my fishing skills suck and Id like to get my kid turned onto fishing before he decides its not worth it because I dont know how to get him over fish regularly.

How many tournaments a year do you have to enter to be labeled a tourney guy? My first one is in 2 1/2 weeks. I may stop if Im going to get a bad rap because of others behavior and attitudes. Then again, unless you see the tourney banner on my engine... I look like the average joe on the water.

When asking for tips and info, seems that trout, musky, steelhead and saltwater guys open up alot more than the Bass or river salmon guys. Interesting.

Information and the friendships Ive encountered on this site is why I like, and sponsor, this site.

Agreed, a lurker that just shows up and hammers for info aint cool. But oddly enough, I get the same attitude from time to time when I ask the questions.

Hey Racy, whats your secret recipe for Mutton Chops???

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed May 13, 2009 11:32 am

Check out the Culinary Section.I dont want to ruin this thread..

I
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed May 13, 2009 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Wed May 13, 2009 3:11 pm

Good points made by all. I won't put all the details in a report...takes too long, and it's just that...a report of that particular time and place..it's always changing. But I'm willing to share what I have learned, what worked, or works, and I'll give specifics to anyone that asks. I don't b.s. or hide anything. I've given baits and tackle on the water too, so hopefully someone else will have as much fun as I do. Just part of the deal for me.
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Meatloaf_Rocks
Petty Officer

Post by Meatloaf_Rocks » Wed May 13, 2009 3:30 pm

Drewp wrote:You seem to be contradicting yourself when you say you wouldn't share details regarding steelhead/salmon fishing or hunting, but then expect exactly that about bass info. But, I smell ya, Meatloaf. I just have one question:

I think its more of an apples/oranges thing rather than a contradiction. The difference between bass fishing and steelhead/hunting, for me, is that I don't use bass as a food item and there just isn't an abundance of steelhead/deer/elk compared to bass. This is mostly because catch & release is either unlikely or impossible (try catching and release hunting, its painful).

Meatloaf_Rocks
Petty Officer

Post by Meatloaf_Rocks » Wed May 13, 2009 3:52 pm

Drewp wrote:
Here are some answers I've given to this question:

Canola oil in a skillet on med/hi. A dash of salt and pepper while cooking. Cooked over medium, a dash of tobasco if needed.

Ketchup for color, bull semen to thicken

[-x

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Wed May 13, 2009 4:22 pm

:-$ :cheers: :chef: It was released after the pain was driven home:-$ :-#

Ps where is that tourney/guide bass tub you holding Bucket heads and more??? :-$ :cheers: :chef:
Attachments
asaaw.jpg
asaaw.jpg (58.22 KiB) Viewed 2502 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed May 13, 2009 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SPARKY101
Captain

Post by SPARKY101 » Wed May 13, 2009 5:42 pm

Bigbass Dez wrote:There are more avenues available other than waiting on Taggy to tell us how and where he get those pigs . Tag is good friend of mine and i can tell ya first hand like others can as well that he will share tons of info with ya (so have you ever ask him?) My problem with the dude is that he is sooo freaking smart about bass fishing that his converstion are way over my head alot of times ..lol but back to the point here

This thread kinda reminds me of the bass club i belong to . When you fish with different guys on many lakes , thats how you learn . Sometimes thats not always option , My first year in my club here in washington I fished on 6 diferent lakes that i had never touched in my life . I managed to have a great year a that put me in the top ten standings in one the best clubs in this state . Well i say that to say that it wasnt a thread that help me, it wasnt a bait that another guy suggested , it was my attention to detail and spending time on the water that proveils me , period . Too be frank with ya , i try my best to stay away from the baits and areas that are called community holes and go to baits . That put limits on my success on the lake . How cool would it be to get out on the lake and fish water that you have never touched and use a bait that you have used before that lands you a trophey Bass ! Im my book thats what seperates the leaders from the followers . Some of my best results in a tourney came from doing something different than the rest . Do wanna know what i doing ? do you wanna know where and why i fish that point ? I bet you do and others as well , but the next time i re vistit that hole and see your boat there throwing my bait , I feel really proud of myself and hope you catch a bigger one than me "NOT" . Come on man get real bro , thats not gonna happen and if thats all guys are looking for here this is the wrong place .

Instead you may read a report that says i was fishing a point just north of 520 throwing cranks in 25' of water and the water temp was 52 . I tell guys all the time when i first fish with them , dont be afraid to go to your honey holes , im not out here to "take" that from you . Im mainly concerned with all the factors that makes that spot good . From that i start thinking about different parts of the lake that offers the same components and i will say to myself i cant wait to visit those areas based on what the fish are doing on this guys spot ! tons of water , tons of baits , it's soley up to me as a competive angler to fiqure it out .

My grandad and uncles taught me how to fish when i was younger , today i am 10 times better than i was at that time . That didnt come from me being a spot robber or a bait junkie ! It took years and years of trail and error to get there and thats something that is near an dear to my heart ! im proud to say that i wasnt giving skill set , i learned it from the ground up !

the question you gotta ask yourself is , Who will be a better angler in the future KVD'S son or one of KVD'S fans ? I expect to see lil KVD in the future hold'n the torch not one of the anglers that spoke with him at a siminar for 5 min and ask about his favorite bait and how to use them ..lol

Information is power ! Imformation is expensive ! what can you offer me in return besides a pic on the trophey board siting on my spot ! :-({|=
Good points DEZ,,all the way from Taggy being way to smart but will offer you any info you ask..sometimes i feel like i ask the dumb questions all the time..Dez u always welcome on my boat..front or rear..ur a :clown: to fish with..a little on the hyper side but i get that..its all about gettin the line in the water..and the fish in the hand..and dez you were 100% right that when i joined the bass club i would learn more ,meet more,and get to see different thing in the first season than i would in 10 years.The offerings i have for boat rides are way more than ever expected.Stay tru and tight lines
Member:Capital City Bass Club

Team OLYBOYZ

http://s477.photobucket.com/albums/rr135/sparky240v/

Okie
Petty Officer

Post by Okie » Wed May 13, 2009 7:34 pm

Good thread. I enjoy the camaraderie that is displayed with most if not all the fisherman contributing on this website. What I like is that there is room for folks that may hold their cards close to the vest or those that would tell you what brand of underwear that they had on while pulling in a hawg. This website is diverse enough that both can contribute.

I was fascinated by another thread about Gov. Gregoire. There were different points of view but it had "adult" conversations and not just tit-for-tat name calling. But I digress, we are on this website because we share a common passion. When I talk to ANYONE about fishing, my excitement level increases and will share everything that I know (which may take only 1 or 2 minutes). It the sharing of time on the water; it's reliving the moment.

I grew up bass and crappie fishing for the most part and more particularly fishing with Mann's grape colored 7" plastic worms. How's that for specificity? But, now that I live here I am discovering species of fish that I never had fished. I find this site (and other sites) invaluable. The difference about this site is the give and take.

If anything gets me a little perturbed on this website, it's those that take offense at any little statement that was never meant to be taken as confrontational. :-# Fortunately, I find very,very few comments to that effect.
Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.

kayak chris
Petty Officer

Post by kayak chris » Thu May 14, 2009 5:27 am

HOLY COW!?!?!?!?!

It's an open forum...post and ask what ya want.

Ever notice that some post don't get reply's......

I personally like reading what others are doing and how; whether I think they are right, wrong or lying.

I enjoy the ravings of the Swede, the clueless newbies and the braggings of the veterans.

Honey Holes.....if I can't find my own, my binoculars always show me where your fishing:cheers:

Meatloaf_Rocks
Petty Officer

Post by Meatloaf_Rocks » Thu May 14, 2009 7:47 am

](*,)