Riffe this weekend?

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
CK14
Lieutenant

Riffe this weekend?

Post by CK14 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:13 pm

i'm fishing a tourny this weekend on Riffe and i've never fished it. just looking for some tips on baits and/or locals? i will be launching near taidnapam so i would like to stay in that general area (small boat, i'll travel a few miles though).

thanks

Basser
Petty Officer

RE:Riffe this weekend?

Post by Basser » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:55 pm

Never fished it, but I have drooled over it, passing it during hunting season. I would hit the grass flats between Kosmos and Taidnapam there are lots of creek channels on the flats. Also half way between the two launches, on the other side of the lake, there is a gravely/sandy mild point with stumps that should hold fish.

On the old BB there was a post on record low water levels, with lots of pictures of the lake with very little water in it. They might be helpful if you can figure out where the picture were taken. The pictures were from the old town of Kosmos, I belive, before the flooded the valley. Pictures of roads building foundations ect.

Good luck and please let us know how you did.

skeeter bassin
Lieutenant

Post by skeeter bassin » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:48 am

What trny is going on there this weekend? And best of luck to ya!!!! Give us a report when ya get back.
When you think you know it all, its time to quit. Knowledge should be gained on every trip.

MikeFishes
Commander

Post by MikeFishes » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:49 am

CK14 wrote:i'm fishing a tourny this weekend on Riffe and i've never fished it. just looking for some tips on baits and/or locals? i will be launching near taidnapam so i would like to stay in that general area (small boat, i'll travel a few miles though).

thanks
Wow, just read the description of the lake. 23 miles long. Good luck! Hope to see some award winning bass pictures on Monday!

CK14
Lieutenant

Post by CK14 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:32 pm

it's just a club tourny. but it's my first official tourny so i'm pretty pumped! it's gonna be interesting because at least 1/2-3/4 of the club members have never fished the lake before...

i will be sure to give a report with results!
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drewp
Commander

Post by Drewp » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:09 am

How'd the tourney go CK? :bounce:
"My fingers smell fishy and I like it."

Edgeran
Petty Officer

Post by Edgeran » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:51 pm

He hasnt responded because he won the tournament and used his winnings to buy a house right on a river where he can catch peacock bass all day long. Just a guess!

CK14
Lieutenant

Post by CK14 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:11 pm

i did pretty good for my first tourny, espeicaly for it being on new water. i got a limit on the first day and only 1 on the second. total weighed 9.13lbs and was good for 6th place (out of about 15). my dad got 2 on the first day and 4 on the second which got him 8th or 9th. we gained a lot of respect from the club members.

almost all the fish in the tourny were on the small side, big fish for day 1 was 3.97lbs and day 2 big fish was only 2.51lbs. the average size keeper was 1lb-1.5lbs.

i just posted a report so it should be up soon.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:18 pm

good job CK14 , this makes me think about my first Club tourny ..I bet you maybe got 3 hours of sleep the night before (if that) ..these bass clubs are key to the start of making great bass fisherman . I wish you the best of luck for future tournys .. Good job ..BBD

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

CK14
Lieutenant

Post by CK14 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:30 pm

Bigbass Dez wrote:these bass clubs are key to the start of making great bass fisherman .
some of the club members are already saying that i should think about doing the FLW next year :-s

skimpy
Commander

Post by skimpy » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:59 pm

Congradulations CK14 on your first tourny. The best of luck to your future ones.
Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/thatguyskimpy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:15 pm

Nice job Robert. You should consider doing the FLW. At your age by the time your 21 you could be into serious money and have a ton of sponsors. Congrats on the nice bag. I think that is a pretty respectable place out of 15, being it was your first tourney. Keep it up brutha.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:39 pm

CK14 wrote:
Bigbass Dez wrote:these bass clubs are key to the start of making great bass fisherman .
some of the club members are already saying that i should think about doing the FLW next year :-s
If i can give any advise my friend ill say this .. Take your time with this sport , fishing against guys on THE FLW tour is no walk in the park , trust me i know how you feel as far as bassin skill go but FLW is full of very very good fishermen .. Its not so much of the competion aspect of it that can ruin a guy youself , but more so the $ , the tours are very expensive , and when i factor in lodging , gas , meals, tourny fees , gear, etc it adds up really quick ,"you could very easy spend over $1000. in one weekend and walk away with nothing " and besides that getting into the money spots are very tough ...I would suggest doing what i plan to do which is looking for tournys like FLW and enter as amature ..for a lilttle while ...try that first and then make a plan..once you fish on a few boats with some pros you will get a totaly new outlook on bass fishing period and the big boys will let know right away where you stand against them ... dont get me wrong im not tring to stear you away from bigger tournys , it just that you remind me of myself when i first got into tournys and felt like i was unstoppable untill i lost some serious money by moving to fast with tournys.. look into more state wide tourneys , or even surrounding states ...just take your time guy, your young , your good, but focus on being the best in your entire area before running with the Top Guns in this sport ..

Dobyns Rods

Panic Minnow

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

CK14
Lieutenant

Post by CK14 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:26 pm

that's exactly why i put in the :-s

he said we would look into it more next march or so. i don't know if there's a difference between the flw tour and the flw qualifiers...but i would be doing the qualifiers so...like i said i'd need to look into it. i think i might do some junior bass tournys next year instead of the flw thing...i just really don't know right now :scratch:

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:00 pm

CK14 wrote:that's exactly why i put in the :-s

he said we would look into it more next march or so. i don't know if there's a difference between the flw tour and the flw qualifiers...but i would be doing the qualifiers so...like i said i'd need to look into it. i think i might do some junior bass tournys next year instead of the flw thing...i just really don't know right now :scratch:
Hey maybe you can help me out, im looking for a good local club , I really havent heard of any tourneys in my area other than on lake samm ... if you dont mind shoot me a email instead of posting info here .. i would greatly appreciate it bud / i heard of the everett bass club , and few others .. i looking a good elite group of guys that i can get back going with .. thanks again ... BBD

Dobyns Rods

Panic Minnow

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Silent Angler
Petty Officer

Post by Silent Angler » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:44 pm

ck14-

nice job at riffe lake. i never had fished at riffe lake yet but i am thinking about fishing riffe lake in a couple of days. i wonder if the water is super clear or not? what kind of a primary forage the largemouth bass feed on riffe lake right now? what kind of lures you would recommend me to start with?

thanks
Fishing is the life.

Nick_Barr
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Nick_Barr » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:48 am

Some parts of the lake are super clear, and some are stained, depends on wind and bank composition, etc.
The forage, for smallmouths and some largemouth, can be anything from perch, kokanee, salmon fry, crawdads, salamanders. If you go early in the morning, look for the flats and throw some reaction baits in chartruese, some of those flats can have VEROCIUS schools of smallies on them. Then I would throw a crawdad color crankbait on the flats along with a KGM Slinky in a Sand color on a drop shot. Another good bait on that lake is a split shot salamander or a DT. Hula Grub.
Nick Barr's Bass Fishing Guide Service
www.NickBarrFishing.com
Silver Lake, Riffe Lake, American Lake, Lake Stielacoom, South Sound Lakes (Long, Hicks, Patterson, etc.)
Also available in E. WA: Potholes, Moses, Banks
$50 off American Lake/Lake Stielacoom Bass Trips through May to WALAKES.com Members!
INTERSTATE BATTERIES
Legend Bass Boats
Mercury Marine
Outdoor Emporium

skeeter bassin
Lieutenant

Post by skeeter bassin » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:58 am

CK, Nick is the guy you need to get in touch with on getting into the Junior tournaments and gaining information on the FLW qualifiers. Good to see ya on the board Nick
When you think you know it all, its time to quit. Knowledge should be gained on every trip.

CK14
Lieutenant

Post by CK14 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:35 pm

i've bothered nick a few times before :-#

the lake is pretty clear. on my best spot i could see the bottom in 15' of water. 176 hula grubs and green pumpkin dropshot worms were the ticket. almost all of the fish coughed up baitfish, and 2 had crawfish in their throats and 2 others had sculpins.
didn't see any largies caught...

Silent Angler
Petty Officer

Post by Silent Angler » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:58 pm

ck14 and all,

thanks for the tip...i am heading out to riffe lake tomorrow. i will be using the mossyrock boat launch. i will let you guys how i do afterwards. i am not good at dropshottin so hopefully my shakyhead tactic will work good as well. bloody yeah, i will be tempted to throw my ol' trusty lc sammy 100 if a low-light condition occurs.
Fishing is the life.