Wacky Rigging Tips

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Wacky Rigging Tips

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:08 am

I have recently explored and tried this method. It seems to be working well even when fishing in a weeded area, especially if I am using the Owner weedless wacky hook. i moved to using the o-ring to help save my plastic a little bit. i am noticing that after time it seems that I am loosing my worm as it slings off the hook during a cast. I may need to just pay more attention to the rigging before each cast but I was wondering if anyone else has any thoughts and ideas.
'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.

PaulReilly
Petty Officer

RE:Wacky Rigging Tips

Post by PaulReilly » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:55 am

Bisk1tSnGraV wrote:I have recently explored and tried this method. It seems to be working well even when fishing in a weeded area, especially if I am using the Owner weedless wacky hook. i moved to using the o-ring to help save my plastic a little bit. i am noticing that after time it seems that I am loosing my worm as it slings off the hook during a cast. I may need to just pay more attention to the rigging before each cast but I was wondering if anyone else has any thoughts and ideas.
Have you tried using 2 "O" rings, also, how big (if any) of a jig head are you using. I always try to use the smallest weight I can get away with.

Another thing to consider is what set-up are you using fishing them? Originally in Japan, the birthplace of the wacky rig, they use spinning gear with 4 lb test! You might need to slim up the line a bit ( I normally go with 8 in the weeds and such in with a spinning rod)

Let me know your set up, and I'll see if I can help at all.

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:03 am

Thanks Paul,

I havent tried two o-rings as of yet. that is a good idea. I am not using a jig head, I am using Owner Weedless Wacky Hooks - Model 5172. My setup is spinning reel with a 6.5' pole. The line I am running is Power Pro braided at 20# which the diameter states it equals diameter of 6#, if I remember right.
'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.

delyakguy
Warrant Officer

Post by delyakguy » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:57 am

Try using Slurpee straws from 7-11. Cut them into 1cm pieces, slide onto worm and rig hook into straw. I learned that trick and has worked well for myself. The o rings work, but the possibility of loosing worm on cast is always there.
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway

Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. ~Paul Schullery

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:02 am

Very good idea delyakguy .... seems my journal keeps getting filled with more great ideas. I will try this and straws cost a little less than the o-rings.

delyakguy
Warrant Officer

Post by delyakguy » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:12 am

Ya. The o rings can be hard to find and cost money, straws usually free. Good luck
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway

Brianh
Petty Officer

Post by Brianh » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:31 am

You can also buy bulk split rings to use. These work especially well if you are using the knock off senkos that are a bit lighter. They add a little bit of weight to the bait. These are also easy to slide the senko in since they are stiffer than an o ring.
Brianh
Panic Minnows
"Rain or Shine, I'm going fishin"

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:35 am

Brian,

On the split rings do i look for the same size of o-rings I am using. the o-rings that I am using are 1/4" inside diameter o-rings. Also for senkos I am using Yamamoto 5" and Strike King Zero. Thanks for the help!!!

Brianh
Petty Officer

Post by Brianh » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:19 am

Bisk1tSnGraV wrote:Brian,

On the split rings do i look for the same size of o-rings I am using. the o-rings that I am using are 1/4" inside diameter o-rings. Also for senkos I am using Yamamoto 5" and Strike King Zero. Thanks for the help!!!
I will look when I get home today, as I am not sure what number they are exactly. I bought them by mistake a long time ago, but they fit the bill for and senko knockoffs.
Brianh
Panic Minnows

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:35 am

This weekend I tried McDonalds straws. I wasnt really happy with them as it took alot of effort to pull the senko through the 1 cm pieces. It tended to cause one end of the plastic to be stretched more than the other (I dont know if that is an positive or a negative thought). I did notice that more time and patience needs to be taken using the straw pieces as they can dig into and cut the worm. I am still going to test the slurpee straw method as well to see if there is an difference in the two types of straws.

delyakguy
Warrant Officer

Post by delyakguy » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:20 am

Slurpee straws do work better. I have tried McD's straws with same outcome as yourself. Best to cut them before heading out maybe have couple ready to go on your fav colors too. But it is a cheaper way that orings and as stated above, orings are not perfect either.

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:31 am

Whew at least I wasnt crazy when I was using the McD straws. Not saying that I am not crazy over all just with the McDonald straws. I will pick up some of the slurpee straws and see what the voices in my head have to say about them.

Brianh
Petty Officer

Post by Brianh » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:47 am

Brianh wrote:
Bisk1tSnGraV wrote:Brian,

I will look when I get home today, as I am not sure what number they are exactly. I bought them by mistake a long time ago, but they fit the bill for and senko knockoffs.
I looked for the package in which the split rings came in, but I couldn't find it. They are about 3/8 of an inch in diameter, (a little under that for the inside diameter.
Brianh
Panic Minnows

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:51 am

thanks Brian ... I am testing the straw method at the moment. McDonalds straws I am not to happy with but will be trying the 7-11 slurpee straws soon. I am now also being a little more mindful of the rigging and check it more often and that has also helped the issue I was having.

islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:26 pm

Hi guys! I have caught bass wacky rigging on the drop shot, but not have yet had much luck on a pure wacky or even the jig wacky yet.

A thought has come to mind as I have no more O rings. I am going to try zip ties. They ought to be just as strong and super cheap. I almost have full use of my foot back, but maybe some of you guys can give this a try to see of it works. What I can foresee with using them is that the struggle to role on the O or split rig is eliminated because the zip tie can be custom fitted to the width of the worm along any part of it. Now go out and try and don't make me try it from a wheel chair! hee hee. :)

PaulReilly
Petty Officer

Post by PaulReilly » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:00 am

islandbass wrote:Hi guys! I have caught bass wacky rigging on the drop shot, but not have yet had much luck on a pure wacky or even the jig wacky yet.

A thought has come to mind as I have no more O rings. I am going to try zip ties. They ought to be just as strong and super cheap. I almost have full use of my foot back, but maybe some of you guys can give this a try to see of it works. What I can foresee with using them is that the struggle to role on the O or split rig is eliminated because the zip tie can be custom fitted to the width of the worm along any part of it. Now go out and try and don't make me try it from a wheel chair! hee hee. :)
Thats a damn good idea...let us know how it works! I wonder if clear, black, or trying to match or compliment the color would work best.

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:02 am

the color of zip tie could help I think. Red zip tie to represent wounded bait? Think I know have a summer of experimentation ahead of me.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:23 am

For cheap O-rings, use those small rubber bands that kids use for their teeth braces. I think I've seen them at drug stores, or get a back from your local orthodontist.

If you want to use split rings, Ebay has great prices. You can usually get 100 rings for about 3-4 bucks.