Trailer Hook

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
TravisRush
Commander

Trailer Hook

Post by TravisRush » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:03 am

Can someone explain its use (other than for short-striking fish) and where/how to find them?

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

RE:Trailer Hook

Post by Rich McVey » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:38 am

TravisRush wrote:Can someone explain its use (other than for short-striking fish) and where/how to find them?
You can get them at most of the sporting good places, Cabelas, BassPro....

What are trailer hooks and can I add them to my spinnerbait?
A trailer hook is a large eye hook that is placed over the hook which is already molded into your spinnerbait head. Trailer hooks help you hook fish that short strike your spinnerbait. Trailer hookscan be added very easily by slipping the large eye of the trailer over the main hook. Latex tubing is used to hold the hook in place.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:33 am

Also i Like to use Trailer Hooks on Buzz baits , There are times that bass will smack at your buzz bait and miss by using a trailer your increasing your hook up ratio ... jus my two pennys .. :-"

BBD
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

MackPrince
Petty Officer

Post by MackPrince » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:33 am

I use trailer hooks on some of my kokanee gear tying two hooks spaced apart off of the main leader. The kokes are often hooked by the front hook, but the second is there to increase the chance of a hookset and to present bait behind the lure.
Take a kid fishing and make some reel memories.

ral
Petty Officer

Post by ral » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:25 pm

I just started using trailer hooks on my spinnerbaits this year. It has earned me a few extra fish!

BassFanatic
Commander

Post by BassFanatic » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:55 am

trailer hooks have helped me out allot I was a little skeptical at first, but they have helped me hook allot more fish
CPR-BOYZ
CHECK US OUT ON YOUTUBE!!!

Ditch Pickler
Lieutenant

Post by Ditch Pickler » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:58 am

buzzbaits and spinnerbaits with long skirts and magic tail skirts are the only baits i use trailer hooks with. Bass tend to hit the back end of the skirt so hiding a trailer hook back there helps alot...

Or i could trim the skirt, but then the profile will be smaller and i waste time catching 2lbs etc...
My only enemy is my inner me -Lupe Fiasco

You can take the angler out the Hood,but you can't take the Hood out the angler! -basstradamus

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:09 am

Basstradamus wrote:Or i could trim the skirt, but then the profile will be smaller and i waste time catching 2lbs etc...
chuckles as I look forward to the time when I am wasting time on 2lbs.
'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.

Ditch Pickler
Lieutenant

Post by Ditch Pickler » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:57 am

Bisk1tSnGraV wrote: chuckles as I look forward to the time when I am wasting time on 2lbs.
hahaha

i chuckle at the 2lbs being caught :farao:
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
My only enemy is my inner me -Lupe Fiasco

You can take the angler out the Hood,but you can't take the Hood out the angler! -basstradamus

delyakguy
Warrant Officer

Post by delyakguy » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:59 pm

When using a trailer hook, do you rig your worm to the trailer hook? To both hooks? Or just to main hook?
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway

Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. ~Paul Schullery

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:08 pm

Basstradamus wrote:
Bisk1tSnGraV wrote: chuckles as I look forward to the time when I am wasting time on 2lbs.
hahaha

i chuckle at the 2lbs being caught :farao:
Since my best so for is only 1 lb 15 oz, I think I have a ways to go.
'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:59 pm

I hate to be the skeptic again but dosent a trailer hook hurt a fish if they swallow it,thus making C&R a tough thing.One hook just on top of the other sounds ok but to trail it behind would make it lethal everytime it seems.I see guys using trailers and I wonder about the mortality rate.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Kevin K
Warrant Officer

Post by Kevin K » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:34 pm

racfish wrote:I hate to be the skeptic again but dosent a trailer hook hurt a fish if they swallow it,thus making C&R a tough thing.One hook just on top of the other sounds ok but to trail it behind would make it lethal everytime it seems.I see guys using trailers and I wonder about the mortality rate.
It is certainly possible that a trailer hook could hurt a fish if they swallowed it. As others before me have stated in other threads, one way to help minimize this is to crimp the barb on the trailer hook. That way it is much easier to remove.