Snake Lures...

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
ProP-Junkie
Petty Officer

Snake Lures...

Post by ProP-Junkie » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:09 am

there was another post where someone mentioned Doug Hannon the Bass professor. he advertises these "snake lures". My question is has anyone ever tried one? Does anyone think they would work in Washington?

PJ
<>< “If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.” --Doug Larson ><>

AaronE
Commander

RE:Snake Lures...

Post by AaronE » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:44 am

I know Trent has a few of them. Then again, Trent would throw a 3' plastic worm if he thought there was something big enough in there to hit it hehe....

'Sup Trent! :)
Puget Sound Float Tube Club
http://www.psftc.com
=====================
2010 Bass: 2
2009 Bass: 80
Year's Best: 2# 3oz
WA Best: 6# 4oz
PB: 12# 7oz (GA)

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:07 am

Not Many snakes on this side of the mountains .. not sure how it would work on the east side , but they do have many rattlers over there ..

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

AaronE
Commander

Post by AaronE » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:20 am

Bigbass Dez wrote:Not Many snakes on this side of the mountains .. not sure how it would work on the east side , but they do have many rattlers over there ..
My past two fishing trips I've seen snakes swimming near the pads. Smaller watersnakes, less than 18" long both times. I'm sure there's bass out here that have feasted on watersnakes more than a few times. And considering there aren't any poisonous snakes this side of the mountains, the bass aren't in much natural danger so they probably know that hehe....
Puget Sound Float Tube Club
http://www.psftc.com
=====================
2010 Bass: 2
2009 Bass: 80
Year's Best: 2# 3oz
WA Best: 6# 4oz
PB: 12# 7oz (GA)

ProP-Junkie
Petty Officer

Post by ProP-Junkie » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:21 am

well I'm East-side too. Spokane in fact. The videos I saw the snakes were doing great, but they never video in places like here. It's always vids form the south where the bass are bigger so it always help push a product cause all you see are lunkers and we simple minded fishermen run out and buy them thinking the same results will occur anywhere. I have fallen victim to this in the past...:-&

Thanks for the info.... just curious

PJ
<>< “If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.” --Doug Larson ><>

ProP-Junkie
Petty Officer

Post by ProP-Junkie » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:24 am

well I'd like to try one for fun, but I am not paying $40-$90 for a whole kit... I wanna just try one.... oh well

PJ

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:27 am

Yes I do have them,and the bass up here will eat them! Thats a proven fact.
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:22 pm

AaronE wrote:
Bigbass Dez wrote:Not Many snakes on this side of the mountains .. not sure how it would work on the east side , but they do have many rattlers over there ..
My past two fishing trips I've seen snakes swimming near the pads. Smaller watersnakes, less than 18" long both times. I'm sure there's bass out here that have feasted on watersnakes more than a few times. And considering there aren't any poisonous snakes this side of the mountains, the bass aren't in much natural danger so they probably know that hehe....
I watched a snake swim across the lake with AaronE. And I have seen Trent throw them. They work, much to my disbelief, but they work.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

T Dot
Commander

Post by T Dot » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:54 pm

a buddy of mine has them. i havent seen them wet, so i dont know what they swim like. i do know the quality of plastic they use and they should last quite a long time if you take care of them.
.: Half Man Half Amazing :.

WTB:
- SHIMANO Curado 201 HDSV
- SHIMANO Curado 301 DSV

Ditch Pickler
Lieutenant

Post by Ditch Pickler » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:36 pm

ProP-Junkie wrote:there was another post where someone mentioned Doug Hannon the Bass professor. he advertises these "snake lures". My question is has anyone ever tried one? Does anyone think they would work in Washington?

PJ

i ve thrown them in WA a few times and have had strikes on them. The action is just like the videos. Makes that snake ripple and look realistic. i do have around 8 laying around unused. 1 have at least one of each color..red,albino white,black,brown,chartruese...But have doubles in some of the colors. I'm on vacation right now and havent been home in 2 weeks. But i can check and see which ones i have for sure. LMK if your interested in them...
My only enemy is my inner me -Lupe Fiasco

You can take the angler out the Hood,but you can't take the Hood out the angler! -basstradamus

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:21 pm

I once watched a video where they made snake lures out of a bullet shaped bobber and a floating plastic worm. I don't know how to explain it, but it leaves a 12" or so snake lure imitation, and it works just fine here in East Washington.

I do not know that I would spend $40 to $90 for a kit, especially know that I know how to make my own.:-"
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

bpm3067
Petty Officer

Post by bpm3067 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:39 pm

I've never used these snake lures, but I've crawled weightless worms and lizards over the surface, especially over matted vegetation, laydowns, and around stickups, with success. I haven't done as well here in WA as I have in other parts of the country, but they still work. Zoom makes a Ultra Vibe Speed worm with a tail that bubbles on the surface and acts like a smaller profile soft, weedless buzzbait. I love them, except that the tail doesn't last very long once a fish gets a hold of it.

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:53 am

Well Junkie,..I'm not gonna lie,..I'm gonna buy the set just for kicks and see if they work on the waters here in Seattle,..if they do or don't I'll post it,..good question though! Hey Basstradamus,..I'll take you up on that offer,..PM me when you return,..till then have fun on the water!
"Passion-4-Bassin"

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:41 pm

brownbomber wrote:Well Junkie,..I'm not gonna lie,..I'm gonna buy the set just for kicks and see if they work on the waters here in Seattle,..if they do or don't I'll post it,..good question though! Hey Basstradamus,..I'll take you up on that offer,..PM me when you return,..till then have fun on the water!
When they hit the snake give a few sec's to set the hook.
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

Fisherman_max
Commander

Post by Fisherman_max » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:19 am

my friend had a very long plastic worm like lure (10-14inches) and he would reel it in just fast enough so it stayed on the top of the water and it had a great wiggle action and he always had a few follows on it but never really jhad great success.
"If people focused on the important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles"

Max's Video Production

serving Washingtons greatest fishing website since 12/14/07

sending videos soon.

the1fishingpro
Lieutenant

Post by the1fishingpro » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:53 pm

MAX said.... "my friend had a very long plastic worm like lure (10-14inches) and he would reel it in just fast enough so it stayed on the top of the water and it had a great wiggle action and he always had a few follows on it but never really jhad great success."

Could you possibly be talking about me?
If in doubt set the hook!

Gone Fishin
Lieutenant

Post by Gone Fishin » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:23 pm

Hey prop junkie, I am just getting into the plastic pouring and lure making. Give me some time and I will make you a snake! I used one last year for a little while (until it melted) and I really would like to give it another try so I am going to make myself some. I am in Cheney and work out in the Valley so I am right in your neighborhood.

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:25 am

I wish you were closer GoneFishin,..could use your expertise over here!
"Passion-4-Bassin"

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:32 pm

Thanks for the phone call today Mike {aka Basstradamus}! I'll see you Sunday in the AM and we'll get this done,..I appreciate you doing this,..way cool!
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Passion-4-Bassin"

ProP-Junkie
Petty Officer

Post by ProP-Junkie » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:58 pm

Basstradamus, yea, that would be awesome. I appreciate the offer. and GoneFishin keep me posted. livin that close maybe we can hit the water some time.

PJ