Banks Lake Bass

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Mr. Magler
Petty Officer

Banks Lake Bass

Post by Mr. Magler » Fri May 11, 2007 8:51 am

I'm making my first trip to Banks Lake Memorial Day weekend. I'm looking for any tips on what works for smallmouth in Spring on this lake. Info on the lures (including colors) to use would be great! We'll be at SunBanks Resort - are there good bass holding spots near there?
Wishin' I was fishin',

Mr. Magler

basshunter425
Petty Officer

RE:Banks Lake Bass

Post by basshunter425 » Fri May 11, 2007 8:54 am

the most smallies i caught in this lake is caught by using night crawlers with sinker and leaders....

Volk
Petty Officer

Post by Volk » Fri May 11, 2007 10:54 am

there is a "bridge" you cross right before making the left hand turn into SunBanks. You'll notice a cove on your left of that bridge and a little pond to your right. That cove borders SunBanks and is a great spot for bass. Fish along that rocky bridge and on the opposite side of the cove from the SunBanks waterline. There is a lot of milfoil and weeds there that bass like. This is assuming you have a boat. However you can fish from the rocks alongside the bridge and cast out into the cove as well. Crankbaits and flatfish have worked well for me there

Check out the other side of the bridge where that pond is. Poppers work well here for the bass. There are lots of perch in here as well so try to catch those with whatever perch setup you have. I walked to the otherside of that pond through the brush and sat on that huge rock youll see there. noticed 2 HUGE HUGE HUGE dark fish swimming in all that milfoil but could not get them to bite. you can just see them swimming slowly around in there.

Also if you do have a boat with a good motor, the area around steamboat rock is great. lots of good shallows. you have to head south of SunBanks Resort. Lastly, on the other side of the lake from the resort, there are good sandy and rocky points along the shoreline.

Good luck, let us know how it goes when you get back.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri May 11, 2007 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rizzla
Petty Officer

Post by Rizzla » Fri May 11, 2007 11:14 am

let me kno how it is there i been wantin to check that lake out

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Fri May 11, 2007 12:16 pm

I'd find rocky areas in 5-10' of water and throw 3" grubs on 1/8 oz jigheads, cast to shore and swim them back to the boat.

Or... throw a surface lure and get them to come to the surface.

We did this on one of my last trips to Banks.

Mr. Magler
Petty Officer

Post by Mr. Magler » Fri May 11, 2007 3:40 pm

Last edited by Anonymous on Fri May 11, 2007 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wishin' I was fishin',

Mr. Magler

skeeter bassin
Lieutenant

Post by skeeter bassin » Fri May 11, 2007 5:33 pm

Believe it or not, the lake will fish small on that weekend. The Federation Jamboree will be going on that weekend out of Coulee Playland. Expect anywhere from 100-150 boats there for this. If you are an FLW member and have kids with you head up there to check it out. There will be many activities for kids including a casting competition off of the dock there.
When you think you know it all, its time to quit. Knowledge should be gained on every trip.

tcb
Warrant Officer

Post by tcb » Fri May 11, 2007 9:39 pm

skeeter bassin wrote:Believe it or not, the lake will fish small on that weekend. The Federation Jamboree will be going on that weekend out of Coulee Playland. Expect anywhere from 100-150 boats there for this. If you are an FLW member and have kids with you head up there to check it out. There will be many activities for kids including a casting competition off of the dock there.
I believe it, there are always tournaments going on. I'll be over there on Memorial weekend as well. My father in law will be trying to get me to fish for walleye. :)

Rizzla
Petty Officer

Post by Rizzla » Mon May 14, 2007 3:37 pm

i feel you guys. me and my pops was plannin a trip out there too, but got scared away by the tourney. we will probably try a trip wen no one will be there. im stingy i want all the bass to myself.

Mr. Magler
Petty Officer

Post by Mr. Magler » Wed May 16, 2007 1:42 pm

Thanks for being such a downer, skeeter. I can't wait to show you the pictures of all the hogs I'm going to catch! [-x
Wishin' I was fishin',

Mr. Magler

Basshunter046
Warrant Officer

Post by Basshunter046 » Wed May 16, 2007 2:15 pm

I'm going to be camping for a week at Steamboat State Park in June and can't wait to get over there. I havn't fished Banks for at least 10 years, but always did really good on Bass. I wanna try a couple days for walleyes while there plus hit it for Bass also. I'll be using crankbaits and doodle worms for bass and cranks and spinner rigs for the walleyes. =p~

skeeter bassin
Lieutenant

Post by skeeter bassin » Thu May 17, 2007 9:52 pm

Magler, didn't realize I was being negative . Wasn't trying to if that is how ya took it. Anyways, there are plenty of good fish out there. The trny is a pretty laid back one. Talk to the guys and kids out there, they may be willing to give some info. Good luck, can't wait to see the pics.
When you think you know it all, its time to quit. Knowledge should be gained on every trip.

Mr. Magler
Petty Officer

Post by Mr. Magler » Fri May 18, 2007 8:31 am

Thanks skeeter! Now I know you meant well. I'll let you know how it goes out there next weekend. =d>
Wishin' I was fishin',

Mr. Magler

Edgeran
Petty Officer

Post by Edgeran » Tue May 29, 2007 10:25 pm

I posted our (Magler, Drewp, Edgeran and friends) Banks Lake experience on the main page. It's a pretty amazing lake and I'll be back in not too long I hope.

clam man
Warrant Officer

Post by clam man » Thu May 31, 2007 2:38 pm

Mr. Magler,
any luck? I am headed out there in a week. I heard there were carp, whitefish, crappie, perch, walleye, smallies, trout, largemouth....sounds great. I was told a wacky rigged senko, or drop shotting senko works pretty well.

Clam Man
Clam Man

"____________"

Drewp
Commander

Post by Drewp » Thu May 31, 2007 3:52 pm

Clam Man,

I was there with Magler and Co., and there's fish everywhere. Just as you mentioned, all of those fish are in there (although, i'm not sure about whitefish). Dropshotting works, but we mostly were cranking, trying to cover as much ground as possible. Having a boat helps, but you can catch fish walking on the side of the road. We didn't target walleye, but got one anyways on a perch rapala, but from what i heard from those that were, they were tough to get. Good luck out there, I'm sure you'll do well.

P.S. Your avatar freaks me out! :-& :clown: :-&
"My fingers smell fishy and I like it."

Kelcey
Petty Officer

Post by Kelcey » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:44 pm

My parents have property not too far from Banks. We were there over the holiday weekend too! How did you do? It is a pretty fun lake to fish. I have never gone there and not got some decent sized fish. We got a tagged one this time!!!

tcb
Warrant Officer

Post by tcb » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:46 pm

Kelcey wrote:My parents have property not too far from Banks. We were there over the holiday weekend too! How did you do? It is a pretty fun lake to fish. I have never gone there and not got some decent sized fish. We got a tagged one this time!!!
The in-laws live in coulee city, on teh south end.

It was too windy for us, we only made it out Monday afternoon and Tuesday. Monday morning had 2-3ft sweels and whitecaps on the lake! yowza!

Memorial day is always iffy as far as weather goes. Labor day is always perfect.

As a result of the wind, I dont have any pics (got skunked monday pm and tuesday AM anyway)

Tim